Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Television

Don't think this has been discussed, but 3 Body Problem is awesome. The trilogy is one of my favorite SF reads ever, and I would not have believed it could be translated to the screen well. Through three episodes, it does as good a job as possible. Benioff and Weiss did a great job with GOT before Martin stopped writing, but that won't be a problem for this trilogy. Shit could be transcendent.

The GoT guys did a great job bringing the series to TV. I was worried because like with the Andy Weir books, the novel was filled with overindulge of nerdy technical details as well as Reddit-tier dialogue, but the show cleaned all that up.

Hole. E. Fuck. EP5 is insane. Red wedding early on. Read the books. Watch the show. You're welcome.
Have you finished it yet? I loved it through the first five eps, but the next couple have been such slogs.

I feel like it immediately flipped from "thrilling sci-fi action-mystery" to "sad sacks are sad while waiting for the world to end in 400 years" after e5.

Also, the nanofiber lady. Very hot, but my god, such an awful character/actress. Can't stand her.

Finished 'Slow Horses' yesterday and enjoyed it. Of the AppleTV shows that I've completed, so far my personal rankings are 1. Foundation, 2. For All Mankind, 3. Slow Horses, 4. Monarch: Legacy of Monsters, 5. Silo. Fortunately, all five shows will have new seasons so this list can change.

I've been reluctant to watch 'Severance' since I've heard great things about it, but no one seems to know when season 2 will be released. Based on some googling, it sounds like late 2024 is the absolute earliest it could be released. That might be next up on my list though even with the uncertainty.

^^^I watched EP6, but not the final two. Most of the content of the final two episodes is actually from book two from what I've read. Not totally sure why they structured the show this way, though it does seem similar to some of the early seasons (and books) of ASIAF, where the penultimate show had all the big scenes and the last one(s) settled all the fallout and set the stage for the next season/book.

IMO, they should have stretched the first book into all eight episodes - there is plenty they altered/cut that could have been included with no loss of quality and made it more of a cliffhanger ending. I'll comment more when I watch the last two if I still feel the same way.

And yes, Auggie is poorly cast and written for. The character in the book (who got disassembled into both Auggie and Jin) is better.

This is an all-time great episode.

Holy shit, that was incredible. That felt like a transcendent piece of performance art.

Dr. Arroyo was also sneakily terrific.

There is no way Conan wasn't in agony and that he didn't suffer health consequences for a few days.

I once accidentally ate a ton of The Last Dab in a drunken stupor, thinking it was Los Calientes. Los Calientes is mild enough that you can just dip your chicken in it like barbecue sauce. The Last Dab is not. I shit you not that that is the closest I've felt to death. I felt like I was my throat was closing up and I was going into anaphylactic shock. I didn't eat nearly as much as Conan. Also, from what I can tell Da Bomb is the hottest of any of the sauces. And he basically drank that.

This is the only time I've seen the show completely hijacked from Sean. If it was someone less funny and engaging, it would be annoying. But here it was totally worth it.

Went to Pepper Palace in Asheville during COVID with some friends and did a taste test of like 10 things they make from most mild to hottest and the last 3 were extracts that you can't even buy retail because they are so spicy and they use them to make their sauces. I crush hot things. I've grown and eaten reapers. Thought my son was going to die when we ate the reapers, but I think I've eaten so much spicy stuff that I callused my anal canal, so it only sucked in my throat and mouth. But these extracts were totally insane. This is still when you had to wear masks inside and we didn't take this into account. When your mouth is burning from eating spicy things, you tend to mouth breathe. Well, mouth breathing in a mask shunts all the exhale into your eyes. Let's say we essentially pepper/bear sprayed ourselves for like 30 minutes straight and had to walk outside a bunch of times so we could lower our masks.

And I think all that Conan slobber and mess at the end was real deal and not just him trying to be funny. He was acting a bit drunk, too, and I've seen really spicy things make people feel like they are drunk.

My mind was blown for the entire second half when Conan was basically drinking that stuff. I have a former #7 hot sauce in the Hot Ones lineup and that stuff is going to last me years because the most I can handle is a tiny droplet per multiple bites of food. And this is as someone who craves spicy food. Da Bomb and the #9 and #10 sauces have to be insanity. Other guests have "no-sold" the heat, like David Blaine, Lorde and Halle Berry, but for whatever reason, I found this so much more impressive, probably because you could tell Conan was in so much agony while fake no-selling it.

The Last Dab is the #10 sauce, and like I said, I can tell you from drunken experience that it will fuck you up if not used in moderation.

I'm alo a big fan of super spicy food.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom