Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MLB

On the surface it looks very stupid that a 162 game season can be meaningless. I don't know whether that means they need to create longer early round series', or order the series to make home field a bigger factor, or contract the number of teams in the field, or re-seed, but this shouldn't happen

Last edited:

On the surface it looks very stupid that a 162 game season can be meaningless. I don't know whether that means they need to create longer early round series', or order the series to make home field a bigger factor, or contract the number of teams in the field, or re-seed, but this shouldn't happen

Their postseason format is weird when compared with the 162 game season. Play a best of 3 wild card round, then a best of 5 divisional round before finally getting to best of 7 for the remaining two series. If they started the season a week earlier, you could easily do a best of 7 and finish in plenty of time for the next round. They say they have the 162 games to account for variance but then throw it out the window come postseason time, it's very weird.

Regardless of my feelings on the above, I'm a Braves fan and they've just simply gotten outplayed this series against Philadelphia. Starting pitching has been shaky and they're really missing the lock down bullpen that helped win them the title a couple years ago. That team had several guys that could come in, shut down a rally and then the next guy up would make sure the opponent stayed down. If this team isn't hitting 3 homers, they're probably not winning due to the game to game inconsistency in pitching.

They saw plenty of instances where a team sweeping in the previous round led to them underperforming in the next round, presumably somewhat due to too much time off, and decided to handicap the best teams in this way from the start of the playoffs. They also decided to go with 5-game series to enhance variance over 7-game series. Just bonkers unless they wanted this outcome, which may be the case.

If they want the total RNG outcome, I’d go all-in, though, like March Madness rather than trying to resemble the NHL. One is obviously more popular than the other. The March Madness equivalent in baseball would be something like letting in 8 teams per league and going with single elimination r1, 3 games r2, 5 games league championships, 7 games World Series, assuming they’re rational and don’t want to completely give up game revenues. This would lead to pretty much totally random champions, which is probably what they’re going for currently based on their internal research on what most fans want.

The worst playoff format in American sports produces maybe the worst championship series in American sports history. Only sickos are enjoying this

Go back to 1969 playoff structure, tbh.

Silver is probably going to get ratio’d for that “take,” but I’m guessing he’ll be proven objectively right by the TV ratings for the WS. I don’t have any interest in watching it, which is a shame, because rooting against the big market favorites in the ALCS and NLCS and seeing how much better the viewing experience was with the new rule changes was a lot of fun.

We’re too wedded to 7 games being the max for a playoff series. I think that will change in MLB at some point. Owners and TV networks should be all for the extra revenues. Rational fans should be in favor of less random outcomes that completely disregard regular season performance. I’d like to see 9-game series throughout the playoffs, with only 3 home games for the team with the worse regular season record. NHL could probably benefit from that format as well. NBA doesn’t need it. I’m surprised the NCAA hasn’t even discussed going with 3-game series for the Final Four or even starting with the Sweet Sixteen. Do they hate money?

Todd Boehly makes it rain for his players. The guy is a huge douchebag but he just pours money into player pockets.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back