Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

News Thread

Is the whole treatment plant (works/infrastructure) privatized or is the plant operated by a private entity while the City maintains ownership of the plant? In Ontario Municipal water treatment works are almost exclusively owned by the Government. It is fairly common for a City to contract operational duties to a private entity. As long as the treatment infrastructure is maintained and operational, this usually is not a big problem here.

I would hope that drinking water monitoring/reporting in NC are legal requirements which involve reporting exceedances of health-based criteria to the EPA/Environmental/Health Department. There should also be transparency in the process (posting plant performance data online, etc.). The reporting requirements would compel the government to provide oversight of the lower-tier municipal/private entity running the treatment plant. Unless the government drops the ball and puts the citizens at risk (e.g. Flint), there should be some diligence to fix the problem once it is identified.

Some chemicals cannot be removed from the water system by conventional plants, so unless a more sophisticated treatment system can be installed (e.g. reverse osmosis), the only option may be to look at a different source for drinking water. It really depends on the nature of the contamination.

deepdarkblue said:
sivartrenrag said:
Glad I'm moving out of the DC area soon. Will be headed back to NC, where we don't have to worry about these kinds of political divisions.

Don't move to the Wilmington area, this week we're finding out all about the chemicals that are being dumped in our drinking water, which can't be filtered out by our current municipal (privatized) water treatment plant. Fortunately we've got lots of rich white folk here, so we'll avoid a full-blown Flint situation. Eventually.

torontoduke said:
Is the whole treatment plant (works/infrastructure) privatized or is the plant operated by a private entity while the City maintains ownership of the plant? In Ontario Municipal water treatment works are almost exclusively owned by the Government. It is fairly common for a City to contract operational duties to a private entity. As long as the treatment infrastructure is maintained and operational, this usually is not a big problem here.

I would hope that drinking water monitoring/reporting in NC are legal requirements which involve reporting exceedances of health-based criteria to the EPA/Environmental/Health Department. There should also be transparency in the process (posting plant performance data online, etc.). The reporting requirements would compel the government to provide oversight of the lower-tier municipal/private entity running the treatment plant. Unless the government drops the ball and puts the citizens at risk (e.g. Flint), there should be some diligence to fix the problem once it is identified.

Some chemicals cannot be removed from the water system by conventional plants, so unless a more sophisticated treatment system can be installed (e.g. reverse osmosis), the only option may be to look at a different source for drinking water. It really depends on the nature of the contamination.

deepdarkblue said:
sivartrenrag said:
Glad I'm moving out of the DC area soon. Will be headed back to NC, where we don't have to worry about these kinds of political divisions.

Don't move to the Wilmington area, this week we're finding out all about the chemicals that are being dumped in our drinking water, which can't be filtered out by our current municipal (privatized) water treatment plant. Fortunately we've got lots of rich white folk here, so we'll avoid a full-blown Flint situation. Eventually.

I'm not sure who owns the facility now, but this isn't really their fault, they're just the ones who knew about the issue for at least six months without informing anyone (neither their customers not their own board) about it.

We suck our municipal water out of the Cape Fear River, and treat it with a process of UV lighting and ozone. Upstream from us are many terrible things, including a Chemours (spin-off of DuPont) plant that makes fluoroproducts (like Teflon) and dumps it's waste water into the Cape Fear River. Our fish are extra slippery, and nothing ever sticks to them.
Apparently Chemours changed their Teflon recipe a few years back, because at least one of it's waste components was bringing the EPA down on them on the regular. The new ingredient, hilariously known as GenX, is so new ("new" in the world of government regulated chemicals is 20 years or less, it seems) that it's too early to know all of it's long term effects. Preliminary research indicates that it is likely to cause various cancers, certain types of organ damage, and hormonal issues. But there are no EPA guidelines in place as yet for it, and no restrictions on how much can be dumped into your neighbor's drinking water. (And with the gutting of the EPA that's taking place in Washington, I expect nothing to be done any time soon.)

Ozone and UV lighting are of course useless against fluoroproducts. Reverse osmosis systems are the most effective way to remove them, but that would be a hella expensive upgrade for the municipal system and, besides, the municipal water company and Chemours are probably just going to have a bunch of lawyers decide what's best for all of us anyway.

eta: Here's all that matters -

"Chemours (CC -2.7%) should see only limited near-term financial risk from the discovery of the GenX contaminant in drinking water in Cape Fear, N.C., Susquehanna analyst Don Carson says after meeting with the company's CFO Mark Newman.

In reiterating a Positive rating and $55 price target on the shares, Carson says GenX discharge does not pose immediate financial risk as it will take years for any litigation to come, considering it took ~16 years on the PFOA litigation.

Separately, Goldman Sachs analyst Robert Koort earlier said there are no claims at this point of a link between GenX exposure and adverse human health; the firm rates CC a Buy with a $48 price target.

Source: Bloomberg First Word"

The whole circumstance you have described is sad - but those edits to your post are depressing as fuck. Such is the system we are living in, I guess.

I wonder if when they make Erin Brockovich 2 if they will allow myself, teets and ddb to actually be in the movie? Also, there is rumor now that Dupont/Chemours are trying to lean on the local media to stop reporting about the issue. I live in an area of Wilmington where we get ground water but the majority is not so lucky.

I want in on the movie. Lived there from 2004 - May 2017 so I'm definitely filled with GenX. It sucks seeing all my friends having store bought water littered throughout their houses.

Thain said:
I wonder if when they make Erin Brockovich 2 if they will allow myself, teets and ddb to actually be in the movie? Also, there is rumor now that Dupont/Chemours are trying to lean on the local media to stop reporting about the issue. I live in an area of Wilmington where we get ground water but the majority is not so lucky.

All I drink is that tap water. Guess I should procreate soon since my time is limited.

ChibCU said:
Thain said:

All I drink is that tap water. Guess I should procreate soon since my time is limited.

Careful with that, early testing shows GenX fucks up your hormones. You might wind up being the one who gives birth.

Pot being sold commercially in Nevada starting today. An NFL or NBA team in Vegas would be great entertainment. The NHL team, not so much. Because they don't have black players.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Pot being sold commercially in Nevada starting today. An NFL or NBA team in Vegas would be great entertainment. The NHL team, not so much. Because they don't have black players.

Also should be a good recruiting tool. Really, all of the schools in legal pot states should be pushing the "and you can get baked any time you want without getting busted" angle. At some point, a player's commitment announcement will include this, "Next year, I'll be attending (***) University, because of all the schools I visited, they had the best smoke".

NCGA passed and Governor signed a bill allowing alcohol sales at 10 am on Sundays. 20 steps back in this state, but 1 step forward.

Could this story about Hobby Lobby smuggling Iraqi artifacts have come at a more appropriate time in our history? Just your typical family values, evangelical Christian bible pimps, caught stealing shit from foreigners.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom