Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

News Thread

I'm legit worried about the impact on the presidential election on Michigan as a swing state. People may have a bad taste in their mouth concerning the Democratic Party because of Whitmer. Granted, last I checked her approval was pretty high.

This will be a disaster IMO, and schools won’t begin to change back for decades, after letting this experiment run its course.

Currently, a near-homeless kid who attends a school with no AP offerings and shitty teachers, and who can’t afford any extracurriculars, but who has the natural intelligence to get a 1300 SAT, gets into Harvard without a doubt. And that is deserved, because that kid has the potential to be a brain surgeon or rocket scientist. Those kids will just go to prison and die now.

All this does is make student populations richer again. It’s all AP scores and extracurriculars.

They started the SAT to keep (((jews))) out and now are getting rid of it to keep <<<asians>>> out

So what's the next step? Because all letting more unqualified kids -- and standardized test scores are easily the best predictor of college performance -- will do is increase the drop out rate and lower GPA.

I have a feeling that isn't going to fly, though. You can see the articles in the major paper Op-Eds already titled Why is the UC system failing our minority students? and How Berkeley's GPA system is racially problematic, and state politician embarrassment. Instead of scrapping the whole thing, no doubt they will just double down though and just further exacerbate the grade inflation that already exists. I mean, why not, they already do it for some of the scions of rich alumni and donors who don't deserve to be there.

All this just serves to devalue a college diploma in the eyes of employers, and in worst case scenario, pump out grads in fields they are unqualified for and won't pass licensure exams for, or even worser-case, put graduates in fields where it's actually detrimental to the public at large for under-qualified professionals to work, though the former is much more likely and this just becomes another waste of time meant to make a bunch of politicians look good and a bunch of kids end up with loads of debt and useless degrees.

Last edited:
This is like the NFL combine getting rid of 40 times and the bench press.

Why would you not want every detail possible of an incoming student?

Just stupid and regressive.

I have never understood the appeal of Berkeley, though. No good in sports, no hot girls, and if you're gonna be a nerd, go to the Ivy League. UCLA obviously a different story.

I have never understood the appeal of Berkeley, though. No good in sports, no hot girls, and if you're gonna be a nerd, go to the Ivy League. UCLA obviously a different story.

I would wager that in the perception of employers and graduate schools on the west coast, and Berkeley is held in higher regard than Cornell, Dartmouth, Brown, Penn, no question (and in all of the US, not just the west coast, seen at worst on par with these institutions), and probably not that different than HYPC honestly. And when adjusting for tuition, 14k in state a year at Berkeley is an absolute no brainer compared to the entire Ivy league.

Having read some articles about it, it seems more reasonable. They’re trying to phase in a new standardized test by 2025 that better evaluates what they’re looking for, whatever that means. Maybe a test with questions like, “Who is the current Prime Minister of New Zealand?” or “How much does a gallon of milk cost on average in America?”

In the meantime, SAT/ACT submission on applications is “optional,” which translates to being required to get in unless you’re poor and URM.

They leave themselves an out for not requiring any standardized test if they fail to adopt a satisfactory new test by 2025. Not sure how much effort will actually go into the development of that test when half the admins at UC schools probably want it to fail.

I would wager that in the perception of employers and graduate schools on the west coast, and Berkeley is held in higher regard than Cornell, Dartmouth, Brown, Penn, no question (and in all of the US, not just the west coast, seen at worst on par with these institutions), and probably not that different than HYPC honestly. And when adjusting for tuition, 14k in state a year at Berkeley is an absolute no brainer compared to the entire Ivy league.

I think it depends on what you value. If you are gunning for lay prestige, I don't think you can beat "Ivy League" if you want to be considered intelligent. When you bring tuition and regional employment prospects into the debate, it changes the calculus considerably. The analog for my state would be Vanderbilt, but I certainly don't consider that school to be "Ivy League" caliber in terms of lay prestige, although it is a very good school.

And I'm on record saying all of this is pretty meaningless, anyway. The elite talent will rise to the top by hustling wherever they go. I will be encouraging my cousins to go wherever they feel happiest, because that's what it's all about.

I chose the closest state school for my undergrad. Proximity to home + $$$ was too attractive to me. My list if doing undergrad all over would be Duke, USC, UCLA, Miami (FL), and UNLV, as I don't need the lay prestige (although Duke is elite and arguably USC and UCLA are), and it's very fun to argue with the elitists (when there's no threat of ban). Also to be noted: with the rise of the internet, the biggest selling point of the elite schools (networking and your classmates) really is obsolete, IMO, but that's JMHO.

We're nearing the point in our disaster film reality where the giant swarms of rats appear and eat people's faces, so don't just stand there screaming when you see them, get the fuck out of the way.

I used to be against doxxing because it's often done for questionable reasons. But now I love seeing assholes get their comeuppance.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back