Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Science and Technology thread

Anyone aware of a poker app that shows live odds for your hand?

I feel like one should exist, but I can't find one via googling.

How can you have live odds for your hand when you don't know what anyone else has?

aiw said:
How can you have live odds for your hand when you don't know what anyone else has?

The odds of someone having a better hand.

Oh, I thought he meant the odds like they show on the tournaments where we know what everyone has.

ZackM said:
aiw said:

The odds of someone having a better hand.

You'd have to account for every possible hand, right?

In standard Texas Hold Em, let's say you get a Jack and a 10, diamonds. Pre-flop, there are a myriad of hands that can beat you such as A2, Q9, 77, etc. That should be easy enough to identify your pre-flop odds of having the best hand.

Once the flop is laid, let's say 4c-3s-Qd, your pre-flop odds have now changed to include all previous hands + any that paired 4s and 3s. (Any with a Queen were already beating you). So, you are beaten by any hand with a 3, 4, Q, K, A PLUS any pocket pair hands PLUS any opponent that has 4 cards to a straight has better odds at hitting a better hand (i.e. 5s-6c in this scenario)

That gets to an interesting question, with two cards to draw, is a 4-card open ended straight draw better to have than a 3-card open ended straight draw with a higher top card? I'd assume yes but not sure

Yeah, but that shouldn't be hard to do. It's just a matter of data processing.

Guess I have my million dollar startup idea. No one steal it, jerks.

Okay, this may be a stupid question, but I want to figure it out anyways...

How does a city, municipality, entity, etc... determine its internet options? Is there just certain providers that operate in a geographic area and the municipality then chooses to lease its access lines to one or more of the providers? Are there intergovernmental agreements? How does one get fiber?

Can somebody give me a rundown? I need to really dig in on nuts and bolts.

The companies themselves lay their own fiber lines in most places (Google, ATT currently laying fiber in the Triangle). There are some municipalities that have laid their own lines to offer to their citizens, but the states and the private companies have fought those like hell. Some small towns in NC have laid their own high speed lines though after getting through the lawsuits.

Mine is a very rudimentary explanation and understanding.

Local governments charge the ISPs for right-of-way access, and whoever own the pre-existing poles charges them to use those, but as far as I know all of the lines or cables belong to the ISPs themselves.

I completely missed the news today of seven Earth-like planets orbiting one star. This is bonkers. I wonder how many iterations of something like Donald Trump being the most powerful man on a planet have occurred in the universe throughout time. Probably lots.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
I completely missed the news today of seven Earth-like planets orbiting one star. This is bonkers. I wonder how many iterations of something like Donald Trump being the most powerful man on a planet have occurred in the universe throughout time. Probably lots.

When they find out about us, will they make us pay for a wall?

Perhaps a better fit in the 'news' or the 'politics' threads, but there are extreme funding cuts proposed for the Great Lakes:

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/...funding-cuts-could-hurt-lake-ontario-20170310

This would be a disaster. There are several Remedial Action programs which require funding to improve water/sediment quality and in turn helps protect source drinking water and the sport fishery. In addition, monitoring programs are needed to monitor invasive species and how climate change is impacting the Great Lakes.

300 million dollars down to 10 million dollars is a disaster.

Anyone stream Netflix in surround sound? I'm trying to set up a new system and can get it to work with HBONOW but not Netflix.

I have it set up to play surround in the Roku and Netflix settings and my receiver can decode DD+, but for some reason I only get audio if I change the audio signal to stereo.

So, the first successful edit to the genome of a human embryo using the CRISPR/Cas9 system was reported. This kind of advance, while remarkable, has also been rather inevitable since the full potential of CRISPR was realized.

The biggest questions around this are ethical now. Gene therapy for adults is still difficult to conceive -- we have too many cells to fix. But it's not difficult to imagine two parents with cystic fibrosis (whose child would be guaranteed to have CF) choosing to have a child through IVF and asking for a fully functional copy of the CFTR gene to be spliced in. What about genes that are negative but not necessarily fatal, such as BRCA? And when we eventually find the exact genes responsible for every potential malady?

Will we come to a day when having babies the old-fashioned way is considered too risky?

And is there something fundamentally different about altering DNA compared to other treatments?

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...it-dna-in-human-embryos-to-fix-a-disease-gene

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom