Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Science and Technology thread

This is very cool to me, in that it's basically a cheap, self-propelled large solar battery that, I'm assuming, you could use as a very portable emergency power generator. A local solar installer quoted me $28,000 to add a battery about half this size to my solar array.
I don't care that it looks like shit, I could just keep it in the garage.

I’m here all day for that kind of trolling, but it’s a little highbrow, no? Big departure from Trump who never got more sophisticated than a 6 year old who just learned a fart joke

@bfactor what’s your take on this? Are the days of RSUs driving total comp well into the 300s for even B talent coming to an end? Kind of dovetails with the idea that tech will never see a valuation gain decade like the 2010s ever again, the juice is mostly squeezed.

Base salaries in the 120 to 200 range until inflation catches up, possibly, except for the senior/legacy people like yourself who already secured the bag. It never made sense to me from a supply and demand standpoint that there could just be this massive industry with a 4 year degree barrier to entry that made you a millionaire by age 40 and that this would be sustainable long run

I‘m somewhat between the two groups and think that even the 40+ crowd is going to have a challenge given how many layers of management these companies are tending to have now. My role and level is really crowded after a bunch of projects have been cancelled and I’ve pretty candidly told management there’s too many of us because it’s true and I can’t help myself. I don’t manage people right now and my manager (fourth manager this year) is a level below me.

SWEs should be ok IMO at the top companies, I’d be more worried about newer grads with three or less YOE who are finding it increasingly more difficult to land a permanent role at FAANGs. Which means more of them going to startups that have a 99% of failing and sending them back to their parents’ house to regroup over and over, or get the jobs that the other 99% take which pay the median $90k or whatever. For top performers there will still be SWEs that are worth $1M/yr in TC, but the glut of mid-level SWEs making $600k at the big names will get squeezed down. Like everything else in society, greater disparity between the top and the ”middle”. I’ve also noticed more people fighting over projects and scope, so the writing is on the wall. I don’t know how this will all work with visa employees, but I’d expect that to trend down sharply in this scenario.

In terms of RSU targets, it’s something that can self correct somewhat. I get quarterly shares next week and the company can buy those off the open market for like 25% of what they were when they calculated my shares at award. Stock drop will also right-size companies as more people leave since their pay has been cut in half, just don’t backfill them. That’s why widely rumored layoffs aren’t really happening, it’s just a slow trickle of people out.

He's still suspending accounts that have "parody" in the name.

I wonder if he doesn’t care about $44B and just wants to end Twitter. If he’s thinking something like $1/mo, it might actually be genius. I would pay $1/mo and I hate paying for any subscription no matter how much it makes sense.

If all the liberals threatening to quit Twitter are willing to pay a subscription fee, their threats are even more hot air than I think they are.

I personally would love it if the whole thing went belly up. I resent its popularity and the fact that I ever have to use it. It's a toxic cesspool that makes me feel much worse about humanity every time I get sucked into it.

I personally would love it if the whole thing went belly up. I resent its popularity and the fact that I ever have to use it. It's a toxic cesspool that makes me feel much worse about humanity every time I get sucked into it.
totally agree. my life would be much better without it.

It's sad because it really is a great format.

I definitely won't miss seeing news articles from formerly reputable outlets being mostly about what someone tweeted. I'd love to see us start to demand more out of what passes for news, and this seems like a good opportunity to reset. Sadly that business has fundamentally changed beyond any ability to revert.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back