Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Science and Technology thread

If this cost cutting can be done successfully, I don’t understand why it wasn’t done already. I’m much more concerned about Maps/Waze having major issues than Twitter or just about any other app. People will actually die. I have never known street names or how to get from point A to point B while driving in the Google Maps era.

You know Apple Maps is actually pretty good now. I use Waze mostly but prefer Apple Maps to Google Maps

It is pretty good at spitting out basic, boilerplate contract terms. I have asked it to summarize legal principles that are very familiar to me, and it does a good job of that. It seems to know some famous Supreme Court cases, but it doesn’t know anything else. But it’s very good at structuring arguments as long as you tell it what side to argue for. I will probably use it in moments of writer’s block as long as I know the subject matter. Got a few years to go before this thing replaces me.

On the tech side it's good at aggregating and regurgitating known solutions. It's definitely a threat to education (testing) and the glut of minimally-trained tech workers (e.g. the bootcamp programmers who only look up, cut/paste code snippets). Don't see it as a threat to formally educated computer scientists/physicists/math folks who work on the edge. This isn't AGI or even a meaningful step down that path, it's another assistant/search product in chat bot form.

On the tech side it's good at aggregating and regurgitating known solutions. It's definitely a threat to education (testing) and the glut of minimally-trained tech workers (e.g. the bootcamp programmers who only look up, cut/paste code snippets). Don't see it as a threat to formally educated computer scientists/physicists/math folks who work on the edge. This isn't AGI or even a meaningful step down that path, it's another assistant/search product in chat bot form.
I just fiddled around with it and I could see it having huge value as a reference tool for programming, but probably for a ton of other fields too. If you ask it about a programming concept it will describe it in easy to understand language and then also provide an example of the concept in practice. Pretty remarkable to just have that available without needing to dig through official documentation or books.

Musk suspending journalists now that have said or retweeted anything critical of him. Site's days (weeks/months) are numbered for the normals.

It's really annoying to me that there still isn't a better alternative. I get that the scale is massive, but it seems like it must be worth the risk for an existing tech giant to build basically a direct copy. Not sure there has been a market opportunity quite like this in history. Yet somehow the best substitute for what is also the simplest product ever is the stupidly confusing Mastodon?

Shouldn't it be possible to have a site where in addition to showing native posts, you just put in your Twitter user name, and it pulls the list of your follows from Twitter, and pulls each of their tweets to recreate the whole experience on a different site until everyone migrates over? It's all public data, right? You wouldn't even need to give posting privileges to everyone at first, if moderation is the big challenge. Just somewhere to follow tweets from various news sources and media personalities is the MVP right now.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back