Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pets

Dobermans can be such cool dogs to have. My friend has two black ones like like above that are HUGE. He also has a red one. I personally like the blue ones.

Thain, I know that there is a bit of a cult following with blues, but in researching (Cont) the blue coat is actually a mutation/form of albinism that is seen as a threat to the gene pool.(/Cont) Most breeders refuse to sell the blue ones, or will only sell them with the explicit instruction that you will spay/neuter almost immediately to make sure the gene doesn't get passed down.

I put the deposit down today. Got to hang out with a female from a previous litter. Beautiful, friendly, attentive dog. I am hoping my guy is the same way. This is the first time the breeder is mating the female with a south american (specifically, Argentinian) male and apparently the puppies are pretty strong and large already. GF says that its because all South Americans, no matter the species, have strong swimmers... and that's when I give myself a pat on the back.

For people like NOD, this will be my first dog and I was weary, especially with a breed that gets a bad rap like dobermans, to try and rescue. I think that I will be sticking with this breed for a long time so I may try to rescue as my second or third dog.

Yeah I know it is a mutation. It has even gone as far as some being full albino. Those don't tend to live though. It really is a good breed.

Berto, does all of the high quality breeding keep them from eating their own shit?

Dog ran out of the garage this afternoon, around 2:30. Just got home from driving around the neighborhood for about 2 hours. My mouth is dry from whistling out for him, which is pretty much the only sound he comes running to. :( :( :( :( :(

dkst0426 said:
Dog ran out of the garage this afternoon, around 2:30. Just got home from driving around the neighborhood for about 2 hours. My mouth is dry from whistling out for him, which is pretty much the only sound he comes running to. :( :( :( :( :(

Good luck.
I have one that was 2 when I got her and the only thing she responds to is any random person stopping the car and opening the door. One day when she ran off, she jumped in the UPS truck and scared that guy half to death. But after almost 2 years of owning her myself, she's still hit-or-miss on recognizing her own name.

dkst0426 said:

Damn man I am sorry. I hope he comes home and it turns out alright.

Just got back from going out again. Nowhere to be seen. Guess I'll just have to leave the garage door open tonight and hope for the best.

dkst0426 said:
Just got back from going out again. Nowhere to be seen. Guess I'll just have to leave the garage door open tonight and hope for the best.

A word of advice, tomorrow contact all of the pounds, humane societies, spca's etc tomorrow. Not to scare you but recently in the Wilmington area there have been a couple dogs found that were turned in and put down before the owner could come in. I would hate for you to have to go through that.

Thain said:
dkst0426 said:

A word of advice, tomorrow contact all of the pounds, humane societies, spca's etc tomorrow. Not to scare you but recently in the Wilmington area there have been a couple dogs found that were turned in and put down before the owner could come in. I would hate for you to have to go through that.

Nothing to do with dkst, but on the shelter subject, this happens a lot in NC. Wilmington has turned into a really decent shelter, but get out in some of the rural shelters, where they're under staffed and under funded, they play by their own rules. Right around here, Columbus Co, Bladen Co, Duplin Co, Robeson Co are very bad. The shelter workers get the blame, but when they have space for 10 dogs, and have 40 of them on hand, what can they do?

Yep - called Animal Shelter, and was told to call every other day, and that their policy is to keep what they find for 3 days max, and beyond that, they decide what to do based on health and behavior of the animal.

Put up about 80 posters around the neighborhoods closest to us today
Called Humane Society and Animal Shelter
Posted on a Lost & Found NC pets group on Facebook
Notified vets in the area

Think I've done all I can other than pray and keep driving around with my eyes open (and hope nobody calls the cops on me for looking suspicious or shining a flashlight into their yards).

So sorry to hear your dog hasn't returned yet. Hopefully someone took the dog in and will call shelters asking if anyone's looking for their dog.

969221_10151467273702956_570422787_n.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D

Someone who uses the Lost Dogs - NC group on Facebook who had seen my posting saw an ad in today's paper and gave me a call. Sure enough, it was him. So thankful to have him home now.

Day one of having the little bugger. Man, what an adventure already. We've had a couple of small accidents inside, however he's getting better about going outside. Getting him to stay in his crate is proving to be the biggest challenge. He woke up at 2 am, went outside, then played around for 15 minutes before I could get him back in his crate. So now it's 3am and I'm wide awake while he finally fell back asleep about 20 minutes ago.

Any suggestions regarding crate-training? He gets really whiny when I put him in there.

Do you lure him in the crate with snacks?

Both of my dogs cried a lot initially when crated as pups, but they got over it after a while. You just have to be able to ignore some whining in the meantime.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back