Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pets

Your puppy is bored, that's why he's chewing up everything. Get him a bunch of chew toys, redirect him to them if you catch him chewing on anything he shouldn't. And read up on NILIF training (Nothing In Life Is Free). Best way in the world to teach a dog to do what you tell him.

Yeah, I know she has to be bored out of her mind. She and the other dog play in there, but I know she would rather be let loose to run around. The floor is littered with dog toys she plays with, but she prefers the taste of pine. All the chewing occurs overnight, too. The plan is to let them out in the fenced in yard through the day and bring them in at night - I'm sure that will cure everything. Can't get that fence installed soon enough.

I'll check that NILF thing out.

Be cautious with leaving them outside all day, unless somebody is at home. Two reasons:
1) People often learn the hard way that they own escape artist dogs.
2) There are more people than you'd ever imagine who cruise around during the day looking for dogs to steal. Mostly they use them as bait dogs to train fighters, sometimes if they look like purebreds they take them out of town and flip them on Craigslist for $50 - $100, sometimes they just kill them and sell them to testing labs for $15.

Also, I am not sure where you live but they shouldn't be outside for very long if it's colder than 40 degrees.

No worries - I've had dogs forever. My wife stays at home, so she will be there. Front and sides of house are going to be a privacy fence, then going to run chain link deep into the woods so they have running room.

This town is full of folks who would certainly steal a goldendoodle.

I have a knee-high, 40 pound bull terrier who will run right up the face of an 8 foot privacy fence and over like she's running across the yard. I had to install coyote rollers all the way around, which was a pain but is very effective.

Yikes. Lets hope it doesn't get to that point. The privacy fence is more for nosy people, but that does bring up a good point. Shes 7 months old and is taller than me when standing on her hind legs.

You might want to run an electric fence about a foot inside the privacy fence before you ever let her out in the yard. Since she's young, getting zapped a couple of times might be enough to keep her from ever being interested in the fence again. Electric fence chargers and wire are pretty cheap, relatively, and quick and easy to put up and take down.

I will be gone most of the next 6 months and I'm going to genuinely miss my dog. She follows me around the house, if I go somewhere that I can take her with me or she can stay in the car for a few minutes then she hops in the car with me.

Attachments

• IMG_3863.JPG
    IMG_3863.JPG
    989.1 KB · Views: 8
Here is a pretty amazing story:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...-pennsylvania-found-alive-6-km-away-1.4474780

"Zoey had bruises and a few missing patches of fur, but was otherwise in good health."

Cannot believe that little dog survived.

Is there an American version? I can't read this one, it's in Canadian. It's all just kilometers and kilograms, whatever those are.

LOL. There is a USA Today article which probably addresses those issues. :fearscream:

I have a pup (almost 10 months old) who likes to chew. She stays in our dining room and has gone through all 4 legs of the table and every single chair. Cheap, old set, so I just let her have the rest of it after the first leg. She chewed 3 beds, a mat, the molding around my doorway, etc... problem.

Getting a new table and chairs and trying to claim my dining room back. Anyone used anything that works particularly well that we can spread or spray on furniture to make her leave it alone? I think shes about grown out of it, but not willing to risk it.

I haven't found any commercial products that work for this and all of the homemade recipes I've tried are useless. We've always had to resort to constant supervision and correction when having to deal with problem behavior.

Something for you to keep in mind, though - by allowing your dog to gnaw on the old furniture, you've basically taught her it's "okay" to chew on furniture. All furniture. It's going to be difficult for you and confusing for the dog to un-teach her.
If you give your dog something like an old shoe to chew on, you're telling your dog that all shoes are chew toys. It isn't reasonable to expect the dog to be able to comprehend that only THIS ONE shoe is for chewing and not the new $300 pair it discovers.
Never allow your dog to chew on an "old" version of anything if you aren't okay with them also chewing on a new version.

Yeah, so I thought about that like a week later and got the table out. She has had a bone and toys since then. I just meant that at the time, I didn't kill myself trying to stop it with the table once she tore the first leg to shreds.

My wife made a cayenne concoction and put it on the molding and it seems to have worked, but now I have red molding. We are definitely crating while away and probably trying the bitter apple. I was just curious to know if there were homemade recipes that worked for anyone.

Watching my lab mix, Zoubek, howl at a siren is hysterical. He looks around to make sure no one is watching before and after each howl. Apparently he is quite self-conscious about his howling. And my other dog just stares at him like, “dude, wtf are you doing?”

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom