Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NBA Draft Discussion

I think any team would be ridiculously stupid to draft Zach Collins when Kennard is on the board. I don't understand why Sacramento wouldn't bite. Not that I want Luke playing for the Kings or anything, but if they came away from the draft with Fox and Kennard, that'd be their best draft since getting Boogie.

I know I am not supposed to be posting insider information on a public forum, but the Celts are going to use their 2nd rounder on Pags.

Take that for data.

Also, I don't understand how Sindarius Thornwell isn't a higher pick. It seems like his floor is maybe PJ Tucker, but he's got such a better offensive skill set. A rich man's Danny Green?

Kings fans would not react well to Kennard after Stauskas, as irrational as that may be.

I agree about Collins. Collins and all "true" centers like him (non-transcendent, no-Shaq/Hakeem types), at this stage in the progression of basketball, is just a body. A placeholder to be surrounded by actual valuable players at the other positions. There should only really be 60 immobile, non-3pt shooting centers in the league, 2 on each team, just to suck up minutes and "banging in the post" energy for more valuable players during the regular season. Collins did shoot high 40s from 3 last season, but that was on such low volume that I'd lean toward discounting it entirely, especially trying to translate it to NBA range.

The on/off splits and other true value stats will probably show very little difference between centers 4-60 in any given season. There may be a very small number that are significantly better than the rest, like a good-FT-shooting version of DeAndre Jordan or Andre Drummond that miraculously comes around every 5-10 years. I am biased, but Harry Giles is more likely to separate himself as a center down the road than Zach Collins, IMO. Of course, Collins is the much better player right now, 1-2 years removed from Giles's ACL tears.

I think switchable defense at the center position is the second-best attribute to covet after rim protection. If you don't have DeAndre Jordan at center, you probably want a Draymond-lite, or a Tristan Thompson.

The thing about Joel Embiid is that he's like a hybrid of both of those kinds of players.

Wasn't enough that Frank had to fuck up our chances next season. Now he's going to cut into Cook's playing time.

I don't really know where to put this, but it did make me lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
rome8180 said:
Wasn't enough that Frank had to fuck up our chances next season. Now he's going to cut into Cook's playing time.

There should be time for both. Also, Frank should be a 2 guard, IMO.

I think his best potential is as a PG. He needs to learn to pass though.

Also, I feel like New Orleans had a million fucking guards last I checked.

I agree with yr. 1st point, this was pretty evident during his single season at Duke.

I believe in the latter part of the season and in the offseason NOP have thinned out their backcourt. Holiday will not likely be back.

rome8180 said:

Isaiah Hicks, 6’8” power forward (North Carolina). He’s signed with the Clippers and will be on their Summer League team. He’s got an NBA body, which is part of the draw here, but in college he was a power player who could use his strength to his advantage and overwhelm opponents. In the NBA he will find it much harder to do going against men. He does have a soft touch and can run the floor to get points. He’s got to work on his left hand, and developing a more diversified offensive game.

Did I miss something? Hicks as a power player who would overwhelm opponents?

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/06/23/fiv ... -watching/

rome8180 said:

Yeah, I'm just not sold on his handle or vision. Would be happy to be proven wrong. I do think in today's league he could be a killer SG. I think of him as an Eric Gordon type. But, if he can handle point, that's great.

NO's guard situation is pretty bare. I think they have E'Twaun Moore under contract, and then they have Jordan Crawford and Quinn partially guaranteed for next year. That should be it.

I'm thinking that the team and Holiday are happy moving elsewhere, from what was written this spring when Holiday decided to exercise his option. I'm sure they will sign at least one $10 million-plus FA guard though. Rumors have mentioned Rondo.

Regardless, on paper, now, I'm not sure what would have been a better guard situation for Frank to walk into. Plus, I feel like Dell Demps is an okay GM, but more importantly he likes Duke guys. He's the one who gave Lance and Quinn their first deals. He also was big on Seth, had him on their summer league team, and offered him a deal (but one that was worse than what Sacramento offered).

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back