Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2021-22] 2 Duke vs. 15 Cal State Fullerton (NCAA Tournament 1st Round)

What’s your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Someone on TDD was annoyed because Duke has the Fri/Sun game and then has to take a long flight to the West coast for a Thurs night tip.

But so does the Texas Tech/Alabama winner so doesn't seem like a big deal. Also, I'd rather less time for both teams so that talent, rather than game planning, is the biggest factor. Because right now I have very little faith in our game planning but still a lot in our talent, especially compared to the teams on our side of the West bracket.

Looks like both of those guys start and are in their top 3 in minutes, too. Anosike (was at Tennessee last year) is their leading scorer at 6'7 245 (27% from 3 on one attempt per game) and Lee (6'8 230) is the guy who's never made a three. I assume we'll put Paolo on Anosike and let Mark cover Lee and float around.

They've got a lot of fourth and fifth year players who have made a few stops. Hopefully they're not smart enough to completely befuddled K by benching Lee and letting a bunch of 6'2 guys scurry around. Although even then, they've only got two guys who take 1.5+ threes/game and hit 33% or better, and one is their freshman eighth man, so there really should be no excuse.

Kind of funny that I am, non-ironically, much more concerned with scouting this 15-seed than with any potential future matchup. I view this tournament as a 0.5 win O/U proposition, basically.

As I say every year, I will not watch Friday night's game. There is no value as a fan to watching this game. There are three options at play 1.) Duke blows them out, which they should do. 2.) Duke wins a frustrating game in which they let the opponent hang around, leaving the door open to the possibility of being upset. 3.) Duke is actually upset and loses.

None of these 3 scenarios are worthy of me spending 2 hours to watch.

Because I dislike my emotional well being and don't possess enough self control, I'm sure I'll be tuning in just in time for tip-off

He's not as good as you would hope, imo. He tends to speak in platitudes, just like the rest of them. Better than Bilas, not as good as some of the ACCN people who are doing actual prep like watching Synergy footage.

He's not as good as you would hope, imo. He tends to speak in platitudes, just like the rest of them. Better than Bilas, not as good as some of the ACCN people who are doing actual prep like watching Synergy footage.
Virtual Grant is one of the most boring commentators on NBA2K too. Not as bad as Greg Anthony, but bad.

Really?? I've only listened to him for a bit of an NBA game, but thought he was terrific then. My impression was that he was very insightful into the kind of basketball nuaunce that you usually only get from high level former players and coaches.

Line is up to -19 on Pinnacle.

Not sure why MSU is only favored by 1 over Davidson in the 7/10 matchup. Sagarin would have MSU favored by 3-3.5. Might be treating Greenville as semi-home for Davidson relative to MSU due to the travel difference, or there are some injury issues in the season-long data that skew the computer numbers. If it's the travel difference, that shouldn't be significant in the next round.

Top 6 Davidson players by minutes played have these 3pt%s this season: 37.9%, 42.5%, 40.7%, 44.5%, 44.0%, 38.2%. First 3 are all high volume, then 1 moderate volume, then 2 low volume. That's a bit scary if you believe having Mark on the court is helpful to Duke, but the Davidson center is truly low volume (less than 1 3PA per game) and in general, K's defense should theoretically do well against teams that want to shoot a lot of 3s. I'm not sure VT bombing Duke from 3 tells us any differently - it probably just shows how terrible the defense is at just about everything these days.

MSU is great at making 3s, too, but on much lower volume than Davidson. MSU 33% 3PA rate vs. Davidson 41% 3PA rate. I don't know. I don't care. Texas Tech would be brutal anyway, and I optimistically picked that to be the final game of K's career. If that game happens, it will be a LOT of Paolo possessions where he's ramming his head into a wall and bricking shots or pulling up for jumpers and bricking shots.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom