Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Food and Alcohol

And maybe also because differentiating between cheap and expensive wine by taste has mostly proven to be bullshit.

Sorry, that's just not true when you get down to the $4 bottles. If you want to claim a good $20 bottle is as good as a $100 bottle, that's fair.

Tried the rebranded Piedmont last night and my two takeaways were:

1. It's not actually much more affordable than it was if you don't eat like a mouse. We still ended up needing $65 of food for two people, pre tax/tip/drinks.

2. Everything we had was fucking amazing. Easily one of the best meals I've had in Durham.

Last edited:
I prefer the cheap ass Barefoot Moscato over just about every other Moscato I've ever tasted. It probably has more sugar in it so that's probably why I prefer it.

Right after the fall of the Soviet Union, you used to be able to go into any grocery store and get really good eastern European reds for under $3 a bottle. And when I say really good, I mean really good for $3.

Southern Pines Brewing was pretty good. I liked the IPAs . The sour was just alright. They seemed to be unsure about whether they wanted a real sour or a sticky Belgian quad.

That's my neck of the woods where I grew up. I haven't had the chance to try their beer yet. I am definitely interested. You should come to Wilmington and try Wrightsville Beach Brewing. Of all the breweries that have opened so far here Wrightsville is one of my favorites. Broomtail is also pretty good.

Sorry, that's just not true when you get down to the $4 bottles. If you want to claim a good $20 bottle is as good as a $100 bottle, that's fair.
Just repeating what I’ve read in articles about wine-tasting. But yeah, I’ve never even seen a $4 bottle. I’m assuming they must be made in prison toilets.

Last edited:
Just repeating what I’ve read in articles about wine-tasting. But yeah, I’ve never even seen a $4 bottle. I’m assuming they must be made in prison toilets.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/wine-tasting-is-bullshit-heres-why-496098276

This may be one of the articles you’ve read. The clincher is that critics give red wine reviews to white wines dyed red.

Saying that, my brain believes it can taste the difference between a $10 bottle and a $50 bottle and that’s all that matters.

I think that was it! It was posted on old TDD’s shark tank a while back. (Not being a smart ass but genuinely curious) Do you think you could taste the difference if the wines were put in different bottles?

I think that was it! It was posted on old TDD’s shark tank a while back. (Not being a smart ass but genuinely curious) Do you think you could taste the difference if the wines were put in different bottles?

We did a taste test at my apartment's wine club. The host bought a $45 bottle and a $75 bottle in both red and white. The $75 ones usually finished towards the bottom in taste preference while the cheaper ones tended to be the most preferred. Worst part was when I realized I liked one of the Barefoot wines (think it was a Riesling?) the best out of the all the choices (probably 8-10 bottles) and the $75 one was my least preferred.

I like to think I can, but I'm sure I can't.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/wine-tasting-is-bullshit-heres-why-496098276

This may be one of the articles you’ve read. The clincher is that critics give red wine reviews to white wines dyed red.

Saying that, my brain believes it can taste the difference between a $10 bottle and a $50 bottle and that’s all that matters.
Anybody that uses "agreeable" to describe wine should be punched in the nose.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom