Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

^^Conflicting reports on this. Some still saying both Gillis and Angel are at Duke this weekend.
Supposedly, the plan is to lock them in a cage and have a them fight to the death, and allow the winner to play for Duke next year.

Stewart was also given the opportunity to join this fight, but it seems he's just not a competitor.

I take it back in part in that outside of his disgusting FT % he actually has good numbers and played a tough schedule. But don't think he fits with this roster- he's a pure point that doesn't drive (the latter actually helps mitigate his shitty FT% because he's rarely at the line). Javon Small remains absolutely perfect (we won't get him though I'm sure).

Hall makes some sense, despite not being ideal. He’s one of those old Mormon mission guys. He’s turning 22 as a junior next season. Will be a 23 year old senior, and he might be able to get an age 24 season as a COVID 5th year guy because COVID hit during his mission.

Positives:

1. Old guy; perhaps signals a trend at Duke rather than a one-off thing with Gillis.

2. Plays the exact position/role everyone would expect Duke to be looking at if we assume Brown and Gillis are done deals (PG/SG).

3. High minutes, low usage last season; indicates not looking for a starring role on offense.

4. Numbers overall aren’t awful for a guy with 2-3 years of eligibility left, or for a backup who needs to compete with Harris for playing time behind Proctor and Foster. Being realistic, not sure Duke is ever going to attract someone with great numbers for that situation, unless they want to pay big money, which doesn’t make economic sense. 5.4 BPM is fine for a backup who might not even play if Harris is good.

5. Shot profile is excellent. 12% of his shots from midrange would’ve been lower than anyone in Duke’s rotation last season, even lower than Mitchell and Young. 64% FG at the rim would be among the best at Duke last season, better than Filipowski, Mitchell and Stewart. He can teach Duke players a lesson on basic individual offense analytics.

6. Played nearly 30 mpg in the Big 12 last season. There is concrete evidence that he can play competitively in the ACC.

7. Good passer, can definitely handle the point competently when needed, in case of foul trouble or injury.

8. Good size for a combo guard (6-4, 200), could probably be molded into a decent defender against bigger guards and most college SFs (not the likes of SF Cooper Flagg, though). In an ideal world, Scheyer is really a great defensive coach and can get Hall to become a useful, switchable piece 1-4 in his defense.

9. 36% career from 3 on moderate-to-high volume isn’t unsalvagably bad or anything, just uninspiring for the position and given the poor 63% FT. The best news is his 3pt% has been consistent, giving some hope that it’s not fluky, despite the low FT%. With a fairly low FT attempt rate, as long as the FT% isn’t a proxy for 3pt% in his case, the FT% isn’t as concerning. Other kinda good news is the 36% 3pt is on a ton of off-the-dribble 3s - only 54% of his 3pt attempts were catch-and-shoot. Assuming he will not be in a role at Duke where he needs to be launching off-the-dribble 3s (I don’t recall this ever really being a thing in a good Duke offense, even for guys like Kyrie and Tatum), the 3pt% should naturally be much higher. As a point of reference, McCain’s 81% was the lowest catch-and-shoot percentage at Duke last season. This could be bad, though, if Hall can’t learn to stop doing it.

10. BYU isn’t a very highly ranked school in USNews and World Report, continuing to signal that Duke is warming up to the idea of transfers who don’t offer the potential of curing cancer or world hunger.

Negatives:

1. Defense looks bad on paper. One of the worst DRtgs at BYU last season.

2. The FT% is jarringly bad for the position and size, and has been consistent across two seasons so far.

3. Age means he might not have a whole lot of room for improvement (though it might also mean he’s ready to make a leap in the same way Duke players often make leaps as seniors).

4. White American.

Last edited:
Based on the single video I've seen of Hall, he's Greg Paulus on defense but he his two made shots in the game were a layup and a 3. He does work hard at boxing out. He looks like the classic scrappy white guy player who works hard to overcome his physical limitations.

Sent me down a rabbit hole for off the dribble vs. catch and shoot 3s. This sketchy website was the best I could find:

Based on that, men’s college players typically shoot 28% better on catch and shoot (not percentage points). Translating this to Hall, he would be at around 40% on catch and shoot alone, or 39%-ish overall with a typical Duke 3pt shot profile. Would be nice to see actual stats rather than estimated.

Why would you get an extra covid year if you weren't even enrolled in college during the covid year?

On a separate note, I like Hall. The question is if he would be okay with a bench roll after playing 29 mpg last year.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom