Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2019-20] #7 Duke at Virginia

outcome?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DurhamSon

Legend
maxresdefault.jpg

Duke (13-4) at Virginia (12-5)
AdjEff
: #5 (#9/#14) vs. #47 (#209/#4)
TV: 6pm 2/29, ESPN

Line: TBA
Pomeroy: Duke 62, UVA 58 (63% WP)
Injuries: None.

--

History:

Duke is 57-21 against UVA in the Coach K era (11-3 in the Bennett era)

Games in Charlottesville with the current coaching staffs:

2019: Duke 81, UVA 71 - Zion and the starters handle a UVA team that would only lose to one non-Duke team all year
2017: Duke 65, UVA 55 - Tatum has one of his best games all year as he hits a flurry of threes to beat UVA on the road once again
2015: Duke 69, UVA 63 - Tyus "Stones" and Quinn Cook come up clutch in the last few minutes to beat an undefeated UVA team
2013: Duke 68, UVA 73 - Joe Harris cements himself as a Duke killer and as he buries a good Duke team with 36 points
2011: Duke 56, UVA 41 - An elite Duke team easily dispatches UVA in year two of their rebuild
2010: Duke 67, UVA 49 - Duke wins big in Coach K's first meeting with Bennett

--

What they're saying:

Curious which Dukie is capable of going Brandon Ingram/Jayson Tatum on us...

Tre Jones. His brother gutted us, he could do the same

^^^ Matt Jones

--

Notes:

Duke is uh, not great lately. Unless they're beating up a shitty team at home. But then again, for whatever reason K and his teams have just had his way against UVA, no matter how good, when playing up in that arena.

Their PG Kihei Clark is a dynamite assist man, but he's another midget, so hopefully whatever defense Tre played on Miami's midget can carry over. Overall this is an atrocious UVA offense, bad at pretty much every facet of scoring the ball and are extremely turnover prone. Diakete and Key in their front-court are their go to guys, with the former capable of hitting from 3, but even still this is the same plodding, predictable offense of UVA past, and without shooters like Guy and Jerome and Hunter out there, it would be pretty embarrassing for Duke to let this team score anything north of 65 points.

Defensively, we're going to lose our minds watching us try to score against them. Once again an elite unit, trying to score in the paint regularly or from a step-in midrange would be idiotic, so the offense we've seen from Duke the last few games cannot win. The only real "weakness" is that their "packline" is resulting in plenty of 3pt opportunities for the opposing team, and while they have been nominally good at limiting the percentage, the chance is there for Duke to once again win late after canning some. Perhaps some expert on the "packline" can elaborate.

Duke almost always finds a way to win against this team, but then again the same was true about Wake before the collapse last Tuesday. The ACC crown is out of the question, but we don't want Duke to fall to fourth by losing this, especially when this will likely be our last chance at a Q1 win the reason of the regular season.

The good news about facing UVA is that they aren't going to score a bunch of points on Duke so we should be abIe to stay in the game or keep it close no matter what.

The bad news is we are playing Like crap right now so we probably get beaten in tripIe OT or some BS happens

I have absolutely no feel or sense about this game. It's pretty easy to make cases for either team to win or to lose.

I picked UVA to win because we're due to lose there, and also because Duke doesn't seem to do much of anything well lately, while UVA at least still plays defense.

Game poll leaders:

Slap - 6
Si6hts, Dson, Inveigle - 5
Farmer, Niveklaen, Aiw, Rome, TBC, Devilsforlife, Bluedevilvirus, SMTTEM, deepdarkblue, - 4

Everyone else 3 or fewer

Reactions: TBC
O/U

Moore TOs—-5
Tre midrange jumpers—10
Hoss fouls—-4

It’s true that UVA has problems putting up points but they’re not going to have to put up a lot to win. Their defense is perfectly set up to exploit duke’s weaknesses. Moore driving straight into double-teams is something that’s going to happen a lot. They’re also going to give up the middle and allow Tre to do what he loves to do most.

Basically, in order to win duke players must do the opposite of what their instincts tell them.

Duke is fucked.

I think we win. But I'm not confident enough on it to vote.

I also have reached a point of maximum indifference. A win won't draw me back into the season.

Really? I can't identify with the indifference part of it. I've hated the 3 or 4 crap-the-bed games, but I'd put this team in at least my top half of favorite Duke teams in my 30 years of fandom. I really am that much of a sucker for depth and tempo, I guess.

We all like shooting, too, but I might still take this year's high-variability over last year's consistent shittiness in that department. The second half of last year was only fun to watch because of Zion.

That said, my excitement for this particular game is a bit tempered by the fact that I expect it to be a 49-43 brickfest.

I guess, but the "if the tournament started today" stuff is always kinda arbitrary.

I think 3 is still in play if we lose, it just means we have to win in the ACCT or at least beat FSU, and/or other 3-line teams also drop a game or too.

Really? I can't identify with the indifference part of it. I've hated the 3 or 4 crap-the-bed games, but I'd put this team in at least my top half of favorite Duke teams in my 30 years of fandom. I really am that much of a sucker for depth and tempo, I guess.

We all like shooting, too, but I might still take this year's high-variability over last year's consistent shittiness in that department. The second half of last year was only fun to watch because of Zion.

That said, my excitement for this particular game is a bit tempered by the fact that I expect it to be a 49-43 brickfest.

I was extremely excited about this team earlier in the season before the Clemson and Louisville losses. Thought we could be special, even given the SFA loss.

NC State loss was a kick to the balls. Then FSU beat Louisville and I'm like, okay, we can salvage this thing. Duke the fuck up!

Then the Wake Forest loss made me feel like a dog neutered against his will. I had dreams of puppies everywhere ripped from my soul.

The worst thing about it is there's so much hope at the beginning of the year. We have come out like gang busters two years in a row. And two years in a row, excluding Zion, we've just gotten worse.

I wish K would put more emphasis on the season than the Champion's Classic. I get wanting to be good in that showcase opener, but there's no excuse to not improve instead of regress as the season goes along.

I think it's the style of the practices that's killing us. J.J. was a big critic of that when he came back a couple years ago.

Of course, all that said, if we kick Virginia's ass today, I am all the way back in and the era of the Black 'Tar is over.

If we win, I'm back on the "Happy to be in the Sweet 16" wagon. Lose and I'll remain unchanged from the past couple weeks. This season's over.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom