Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2020-21] #8 Michigan State at #6 Duke

What’s your prediction, if this game is played?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SeanMayTriedToEatMe

Legend
https%3A%2F%2Fwww.si.com%2F.image%2FMTc3MDgxNTE1MzA0Mjk3NjMz%2Fusatsi_15233633_168390101_lowres.jpg

Tuesday, December 1, 7:30pm ET, ESPN

Tom Izzo is 2-12 in his career against Duke, 1-7 against Roy Williams at North Carolina and 1-0 against COVID-19. It has been a long and overrated career for Izzo, highlighted by various mainstream media articles calling him the best college basketball coach in the country on the back of a single national championship 20 years ago. With a very typical Michigan State roster, he heads into Cameron in a very atypical season.

The hallmarks of an Izzo team are being good on the boards and bad when it comes to turnovers. They are almost always in the top 100 in both offensive and defensive rebounding rate and usually in the top 50. They are almost always in the bottom half of the country in both protecting the ball and generating turnovers. This MSU team should have the rebounding part covered, as their rotation is full of length. Of the 10 players expected to get significant playing time, six are 6-7 or taller. Duke has the size to match up, but most of it is untested and appears to be untrusted by the coaching staff, and it's unlikely that going bigger would be good for this Duke team.

Izzo's roster is normally filled with 4-star recruits but not many elite recruits, and it's no different this season: the only top 25 recruit on MSU is Joshua Langford, who has been a bust hampered by injuries thus far in his career. On a relatively old team (six juniors and a senior in the regular rotation), Langford stands out as a senior citizen--he'll be 24 in January. As always, Coach K will have a clear talent edge against Izzo, though certainly not the experience edge. It was a similar story when Zion Williamson and two other top 10 picks lost in the Elite Eight to a team with no impending draft picks.

In a season when no team really knows when its next game is going to happen or whom they're going to end up facing, every game against good competition counts even more than usual. The difference between going 5-2 in Quadrant 1 games and going 4-3 in Quadrant 1 games, for example, could mean the difference between a 1-seed and a 3-seed in an NCAA Tournament that may or may not take place.

Last edited:
Childress voice to be fair, as a correction last time we met we actually dominated them on their home court, last December. Iirc we had the lead in the 20s and Carey/Tre was just having their way with them. It was a week after the SFA disaster when we thought we’d lose every game by twenty

I have no clue what to expect from this. Seems equally likely that it could be one of those early-season games where we look like worldbeaters or one of those games where we get utterly emasculated by older, stronger, tougher guys.

I wonder if this team realizes that its entire legacy will be defined by this game, given the impending season cancelation?

Duke is favored by 3.5-4 in early lines. Haven't lost a non-con home game in over 12 months!

Welp...I've gone 9 months without any sports other than 2 games of the NBA Finals. Hopefully this is worth it.

Someone is on my screen that I've never seen before.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom