Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2021-22] Duke vs. North Carolina

What’s your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SeanMayTriedToEatMe

Legend
dean-smith-shaking-hands-coach-k-young

Saturday, March 5, 6pm ET, ESPN
Cameron Indoor Stadium

One last home game.

Nothing to play for with the 1 seed already locked up. The starters should get plenty of rest before K's last run at the ACCT.

Things working in our favor in this one:

-The better team is 17-1 in the second Duke-UNC game, going back to 2004, and it’s generally not that close either.
-This UNC team is the definition of mediocrity and would be close to .500 in the ACC of 2015-19.
-Duke also seems to match up well against them this year.

Things working against us:

-Duke has not been good at home in ACC play this year, losing twice to meh opponents and squeaking out a couple two point wins.
-The mega hyped UNC home games haven’t gone well in the past. JJ and Shelden’s senior night (the one exception to the “better team wins” rule) and the Zion blowout game come to mind immediately. 08 and 12 with the RS crown on the line also have an argument, but UNC was clearly better both years.

Very slight nitpick, but 2011 is another season where the better team did not win the 2nd game. Even without Kyrie, Duke was a better team that season.

Things working in our favor in this one:

-The better team is 17-1 in the second Duke-UNC game, going back to 2004, and it’s generally not that close either.
-This UNC team is the definition of mediocrity and would be close to .500 in the ACC of 2015-19.
-Duke also seems to match up well against them this year.

Things working against us:

-Duke has not been good at home in ACC play this year, losing twice to meh opponents and squeaking out a couple two point wins.
-The mega hyped UNC home games haven’t gone well in the past. JJ and Shelden’s senior night (the one exception to the “better team wins” rule) and the Zion blowout game come to mind immediately. 08 and 12 with the RS crown on the line also have an argument, but UNC was clearly better both years.
2012 was the least surprising ass kicking of all time. I went to that game. I knew we were going to get murdered. Not only had they been way better all year, but the revenge factor was enormous for them in that one.

Since I went in expecting a beatdown, I actually enjoyed myself. The only part I didn't like was seeing Harrison Barnes and Kendall Marshall blatantly mock Miles Plumlee as he left the floor for the last time. There was also some raging douchebag behind the UNC bench flipping off the crowd constantly. It may have been a family member of Kendall's. He looked a bit like him.

Very slight nitpick, but 2011 is another season where the better team did not win the 2nd game. Even without Kyrie, Duke was a better team that season.

Eh, UNC was at home, won the RS title, and went further in the NCAAT that year. Plus Duke was in a bit of a swoon at the time, having just fallen @ mediocre VT. I remember feeling pretty sure we’d lose.

Yeah, but we were clearly the better team on the season as a whole. #2 on Kenpom. Top 10 in both offense and defense. Got a 1 seed as opposed to UNC's 2. Had just four losses headed into the ACCT. Had the ACC POY.

I think the difference between the teams showed up pretty clearly in the rematch in the ACCT.

Eh, UNC was at home, won the RS title, and went further in the NCAAT that year. Plus Duke was in a bit of a swoon at the time, having just fallen @ mediocre VT. I remember feeling pretty sure we’d lose.
No eh about it. Duke was better. I’m here to nitpick, bro! Come on, Childress, back me up!

Honestly, losing this game would be the worst loss in the history of my Duke fandom. This would hurt a lot more than the Elite Eight to Kansas or Michigan State. They can't lose this game. I don't care if Coach K pretends to have a heart attack on the sideline so that he can time his fall for Bacot to trip over him and tear his ACL. Do what is ever necessary to win this game.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom