Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2022-23] at Virginia Tech

What's your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SeanMayTriedToEatMe

Legend
Basile_G_22MB_wm_JRC_0337_iXOdi.jpg

Monday, January 23, 7pm ET, ESPN
Cassell Coliseum

Short turnaround for a trip to Blacksburg. It goes without saying that Duke will lose this game. Ideally some lessons are learned.

VT is an interesting team in that they don’t turn it over and don’t cause turnovers, and they don’t commit fouls and don’t draw fouls. This should be a relative free-flowing game. Basically, possessions are going to end with a field goal attempt.

VT’s best player on paper is Grant Basile, a stretch center. He is, of course, a 5th year senior transfer (from Wright State). He’s not spectacular but he’s putting up good efficiency on pretty high usage, while shooting 39% from 3. VT’s entire starting lineup shoots over 33% from 3 and they have two guys shooting 41%. Tough matchup.

I expect a line very close to pick ‘em, probably Duke -1 or VT -1. Rest will be balanced; VT plays tonight at Clemson.

I could also be tempted by Syracuse since they’re not very good and we’ve owned them the last 6 years. None of VT/UVA/Miami/UNC, though.

We play well against Syracuse for sure, but I'm not certain about how "not very good" they are anymore. Since an admittedly rough start, they've won 10 or their last 13, with the losses being by 2 at home against Pitt, by 7 at Virginia, and by 4 at Miami. That's a team that competes.

These short turnarounds are bullshit. Just make the fucking game on Tuesday.

As bad as we've played at VT, I actually think we have more of a chance of winning this one than we do the second Miami game. You saw how close they played us in Cameron. Now imagine what it's going to look like with a great coach like Larrañaga able to make adjustments. Meanwhile, our entire focus that previous week will be on UNC. We'll get down to Coral Gables Sunday afternoon and have to mentally and emotionally refocus to play a very good team in a hostile road environment the next day. Also, we'll probably "want" the game a little less than Miami will due to the revenge factor.

All that said, we're gonna lose this one too.

It seems people have caught onto the fact that Duke has not covered a spread in 7 weeks (0-8 record ats). VT is now favored by 3 on the most reliable books, which does not align with Kenpom or Sagarin. People are out on this team.

It really is wild that we're widely expected to lose to a team that's lost the last seven basketball games it's gone out and attempted to win. We're the slump busters. Being not very good is pretty lame.

VT has had a weird season. A month ago, you might have expected their 11-1/1-0 team (with a win over UNC) to be a contender for the ACC. Now they're 11-8/1-7 with losses to BC and Syracuse.

All this to say; can't wait to spend two hours tonight watching Hunter Cattoor and Justin Mutts go for their annual 8-13 3PT and 21-point/16-rebound performances against us en route to another court storming.

I have this game as the beginning of a 6-game losing streak.

@VT
@GT
Wake
UNC
@Miami
@UVA

Need to win one of those first three because Duke doesn’t stand a chance in any of the last three unless Caleb Love gets injured.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom