Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2022-23] Boston College

What’s your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Any time BC is involved in a bad beat, it’s fair to ask questions

It would help if our spreads weren't consistently 3-4 points more than the Kenpom line. Just not realistic. Surprised we've covered as often as we have, tbh.

I thought Lively looked great today. 3 blocks, probably 1 more uncredited, and caused a bunch more misses. The dropoff in rim pro when we go from him to Young is noticeably massive.

I also love that we’re starting to lob to him on the roll more often. His quickness and length make him one of the best targets we’ve ever had, and establishing that also helps open up the lane in the same way shooting can in the other direction.

Also, I’m glad Grandison has started showing up and hitting shots, but I want him to stop trying to do things off the dribble. It’s not quite Matt Jones bad, but it’s not pretty.

Last edited:
please do one big with Flip.

This did happen for like a minute or two finally but it’s pretty clear for most if not all games they aren’t going to relegate Young to a DNP just to make this a regular occurrence.

With Lively looking better every game he’s not playing less than 25 mpg anyways

edit: yes I should have been more clear, Lively appears to be on a trajectory where he will have earned 25+ minutes assuming no heavy foul trouble

Last edited:
Yeah, it's Young that's gumming up the works. If you're not playing him, you can stagger Flip and Lively somewhat to get different looks. But if Young is playing significant minutes, you can't really do that because Lively and Young should not be playing together.

Not sure if I’m misunderstanding pronouns, but Lively hasn’t cracked 25 minutes in a game yet. Hopefully we start seeing more of him and less Young.

Not sure if I’m misunderstanding pronouns, but Lively hasn’t cracked 25 minutes in a game yet. Hopefully we start seeing more of him and less Young.
I think DSon's point was that Lively will soon start playing over 25 mpg as he performs better and better.

We also saw Grandison at the 4 very early in the last game. Hopefully if Whitehead starts being good and plays 25 minutes, that means even fewer minutes of two bigs. Right now, he's playing like 13 minutes in most games. If you give him 12 more minutes, I don't see where they come from if not Young. I suppose he could cut into Blakes or Grandison's minutes, which would be unfortunate.

Scheyer did explicitly mention Flip at the 5 in his postgame, fwiw. I thought that was interesting considering how briefly it happened today.

Young only played 13 minutes today, and quality ones I thought; it's hard to imagine him becoming some ~5 min a game after-thought when he does play as decently as he does in his time on the court. Maybe that's his fate against the athleticism of the ACC's "top" teams, but I can also see a scenario where the team seems to be languishing during a game and he's brought in for instant energy.

The weird thing about this team is that we do have nine legitimate rotation players, even if the very top end talent is way down compared to some years past, such that we could conceivably end up with one or no players on the top two all-ACC teams . I'm not sure what that means because looking at years where we've played nine guys double-digit minutes, the only recent comparisons are 2021 and 2020. Already it's likely we don't have two players as talented as Tre+Hoss were combined, but the 2021 comparison doesn't feel right either. It's certainly disjointed seeing a million substitutions and combinations seemingly played and i'm wondering if it's making it harder for the team to get in an offensive rhythm.

One could argue based on whims or how a player was looking on any given night that we are not only nine deep, but have nine guys who seemingly deserve 20+ minutes a game each, which I can't ever remember feeling about a Duke team the last decade or two.

I just think the ceiling of any lineups with Young are so limited by his lack of presence around the rim defensively. There’s so much less room for error on that end when any advantage situation going towards the rim is probably going to be 2 points, vs with Lively where he can basically recover from any position to block or alter the shot.

I would ideally like to see him in a 9th man role where his minutes are basically situational and are more of a function of whether effort is sluggish and/or the freshman bigs are sucking rather than being a scheduled part of the nightly rotation. Otherwise, you essentially need to accept (1) Mitchell at the 3, (2) Whitehead never breaking 20mpg, or (3) another guard losing minutes in favor of Young.

I just think the ceiling of any lineups with Young are so limited by his lack of presence around the rim defensively. There’s so much less room for error on that end when any advantage situation going towards the rim is probably going to be 2 points, vs with Lively where he can basically recover from any position to block or alter the shot.

I would ideally like to see him in a 9th man role where his minutes are basically situational and are more of a function of whether effort is sluggish and/or the freshman bigs are sucking rather than being a scheduled part of the nightly rotation. Otherwise, you essentially need to accept (1) Mitchell at the 3, (2) Whitehead never breaking 20mpg, or (3) another guard losing minutes in favor of Young.
I think Young moves pretty well in the pick and roll and has good awareness, but he can't really recover quickly or jump to contest.

I do think he offers enough in efficient offense and rebounding to warrant minutes. Last I checked, he was first on the team in TS%, which for someone who doesn't dunk or shoot threes is pretty impressive.

I know this means that over 40 minutes we would have won by roughly 29 points, but it feels weird that our "best" lineup was only a +3. It looks like the defense was pretty bad with that group. I would have to rewatch to see where the mistakes were coming from though. It seems just as likely that Mitchell or Roach were the problem as having Flip as the sole rim protector.

Would like to see if a lineup with Proctor, Blakes, another guard, Mitchell, Flip would perform better defensively.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom