Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2022-23] Ohio State (Big Ten/ACC Challenge)

What's your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@childress22 were you tracking the +/- of the lineups last night? We finally got a decent sized sample of small ball and Mitchell at the 4 on account of the four fouls picked up by Flip and Lively. Tbh I don't think the big or small lineup outperformed one or the other in a significant manner, and it might have been when Lively was saddled on the bench that OSU made the run to cut it to 5. Which is odd because I thought this was Lively's best game by far, on both ends of the floor
Kenpom+ should have this stuff, but sadly I'm still waiting for CBS to spring the bill for a new subscription. I refuse on principle to pay for it myself.

I might watch the OSU game today specifically to calculate lineup +/-. Would be nice to have it for the whole season though.

@childress22 were you tracking the +/- of the lineups last night? We finally got a decent sized sample of small ball and Mitchell at the 4 on account of the four fouls picked up by Flip and Lively. Tbh I don't think the big or small lineup outperformed one or the other in a significant manner, and it might have been when Lively was saddled on the bench that OSU made the run to cut it to 5. Which is odd because I thought this was Lively's best game by far, on both ends of the floor

Mitchell-at-the-4 still didn't happen that much; just in the second half.

In the first half, there were a couple of short one-big stretches that all involved Whitehead at the 4, for a net +/- of 0 over 5 minutes.

In the second half, there was another stretch of Whitehead at the 4 for 2 minutes (net +/- was -4).
Then finally, at the 10:58 mark in the second half, we got a look at Mitchell at the 4 for just over 4 minutes (net +/- was -3)

Thus overall, we played about 11ish minutes of one-big lineups, and we were -7 over that span.
We were +16 over the other 29ish minutes with two-big lineups.

Of note: last night, two-big minutes = Filipowski minutes. There was only one 31-second stretch in the game, at the end of the first half, where Filipowski was the only big on the floor. Otherwise, he played 29:55 alongside either Lively/Young, and in that stretch, we were +16 (giving him the highest +/- on the team last night). So based on last night, there' no way to parse the Chad Flip effect from the Two-Bigs effect.

Last edited:
That's not quite right -- he's 16th in 247's own rankings, just 71st in the composite that blends theirs with others'. Also I think he plays for North Meck, so that's probably what the N was for.

Ah. Embarrassed to say I never knew what that number underneath the main ranking stood for. I think I thought it was a 'previous period' ranking or something.

That's quite the discrepancy if they have him 16th but the average is still 71st. Means he may be outside the top 100 elsewhere. Hopefully he's a late riser, which I always like. Kyrie and Flip were both late risers.

Ah. Embarrassed to say I never knew what that number underneath the main ranking stood for. I think I thought it was a 'previous period' ranking or something.
Yeah, that's a really poor design on their list page, because most other sites would use that space exactly for what you thought it was for -- either a previous ranking or a change from previous ranking.

Their individual player pages do a much better job of clearly displaying which ranking is which:

I'm rewatching this game, and it really seems like the aversion is more to Flip at the 5. Does he have a "no minutes at center" Anthony Davis clause we don't know about?

Very early in this game, we saw Young as the only center and then Lively as the only center. I believe Mitchell wasn't even in. So it was four guards and a center (if you count Grandison as a guard). This was before anyone was in foul trouble, so it wasn't related to that.

We also pushed the pace better than I'd seen all year with that second lineup: Blakes, Proctor, Whitehead, Grandison, Lively.

Also, if the Kansas game had been officiated like this one, we would have won that too. The difference is comical.

Can't believe fucking Zed Key has the two highest point totals of his career against us.

Last edited:
I actually thought Whitehead showed some signs of improvement in this one. Didn't feel he forced anything. And had some good offensive moments. Clearly still doesn't have his legs.

Could have had a couple more points if a clear shooting foul hadn't been called on the floor.

I think the refs are all-time bad this year. There's zero consistency even within a single game.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom