Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2022-23] Phil Knight Legacy (tournament)

Where will Duke finish in this tournament?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m going to hold out hope for Dariq until at least the middle of Jan in deference to the HS scouting of @rome8180 but if he’s still doing this by then, he’s getting binned with Giles/Reddish/Jalen as an all timer
I'd still rather play him in a 3-guard lineup with Mitchell at the 4 and Flip at the 5 than what we're doing now. I don't care how bad he is.

Was it simply that we couldn’t make shots that allowed for the final margin? Or was it more than that? I watched most of the first half and the defense was disgusting.

I'd also point out that my scouting can be correct AND he can suck. Not mutually exclusive. Giles would be a good example of how that happens.

Was it simply that we couldn’t make shots that allowed for the final margin? Or was it more than that? I watched most of the first half and the defense was disgusting.

The defense did not improve in the 2nd half until Scheyer went into a 2-3 zone, which held Purdue scoreless for I believe 5 straight possessions and spurred a 8-0 Duke run. Eventually, Duke began going to a 2-2-1 press into the 2-3 zone. I believe Duke got down by 18, and then cut it to a 7 point deficit at 62-55 with 9:17 to play after Proctor made a lay-up. This was the last time Duke would score a basket as they made 1 free throw the rest of the game.

I think Duke expended so much energy getting back into the game that they completely ran out of gas in the last 9 minutes.

I think there’s some merit to that. Filipowski, in particular, looked pretty exhausted late in the game. But really, Purdue just looked like a much better team at this point. Their ball movement was 1000x better than Duke’s.
It seems like our ball movement disappears for long stretches against good competition. When we play a bad team, we run great stuff for 40 minutes. Even against Xavier, a game we won, we had a long disgusting stretch in the middle of the 2nd half.

I think that just a sign of inexperience, when going against tough competition, players lose their composure and defaults back to street ball iso.

Reactions: TBC

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom