Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2022-23] Phil Knight Legacy (tournament)

Where will Duke finish in this tournament?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Even if you think Lively, Whitehead, Grandison, Young, etc stink, this team is handpicked by Scheyer. One of the benefits of K's farewell tour is that Scheyer would have an entire year to handpick his roster. You can blame the players all you want but there is clearly something missing and it's extremely difficult to identify what it is. There are guys just completely underperforming on this team. The only person who looks consistently good is Filipowski.

Scheyer may still work out but this is what happens when you hire someone who's never been a head coach and you limit your coaching search to former players.

Scheyer has a lot to learn and he better learn quick

^^ and the weird part is Flip was the one to have reports come out on him that he was the least ready of most of the guys.

The joke is on us. Toward the end, K was deferring more and more to Scheyer in roster construction and recruiting. Scheyer was the one tilting Duke toward gigantic un-modern lineups. K executed as well as anyone could’ve with Scheyer’s garbage roster ideas. Now we no longer have K’s offensive Xs and Os to salvage overrated talent at the wrong positions. It’s like a Usual Suspects moment of revelation for Duke/analytics fans. Sad.

Even if you think Lively, Whitehead, Grandison, Young, etc stink, this team is handpicked by Scheyer. One of the benefits of K's farewell tour is that Scheyer would have an entire year to handpick his roster. You can blame the players all you want but there is clearly something missing and it's extremely difficult to identify what it is. There are guys just completely underperforming on this team. The only person who looks consistently good is Filipowski.

I can’t blame him for Whitehead and Grandison, those were good targets on paper. Lively had question marks but upside, Young was just a lazy referral by a friend. Unlike K, who had a lifetime contract, Scheyer is coaching for his career the next couple of seasons. Combine that motivation with his youth and recruiting ability and I still have hope for better roster construction going forward.

This stupid University tried to install Amaker as coach, which is equivalent to throwing in the towel as a program. Things could be a lot worse

Meanwhile, contrast the tragic end of the Duke basketball program with what Hubert and UNC is doing. Backing up their #1 ranking by taking a truly great team to overtime right now.

Scheyer may still work out but this is what happens when you hire someone who's never been a head coach and you limit your coaching search to former players.

Scheyer has a lot to learn and he better learn quick

This was the only way, though. Obviously K was going to handpick his successor, and Scheyer was/is a better option than the Amaker option drummed up from the athletic department.

It's too early to tell because this team is young and we are so used to Duke looking great in November that it's entirely possible Scheyer turns this around. However, if he does indeed fail, it's like ripping the band-aid off because then Duke can open up to interviewing and trying to sign a coach from outside of the family.

K has had a blank check to do whatever he wanted at Duke since that one night in Greensboro in 1984 when Duke beat Michael Jordan.

Jon will need to produce results to stay employed, for now I choose to be hopeful for that reason alone

It was always going to be a long shot that whoever Duke hires will come close to being K. K is a once in a generation type, and getting him if like winning the lottery, winning it twice in a row would be a touch feat.

But we have to give Scheyer time, at the same time keep the expectation reasonable. Even K was not K until 4 years into his job.

because then Duke can open up to interviewing and trying to sign a coach from outside of the family.

I would not expect that to happen even if Scheyer fails quickly. There’s no indication the admin is even that invested in maintaining an elite program long term

I had to turn the game off after Flip got his fourth foul but thought we could pull it off because they couldn’t knock us out earlier. So what happened in the last five minutes that the wheels came off?

because then Duke can open up to interviewing and trying to sign a coach from outside of the family.

I would not expect that to happen even if Scheyer fails quickly. There’s no indication the admin is even that invested in maintaining an elite program long term

I agree. Unfortunately, if that is the case, my support as a fan will significantly decrease, not that anyone cares about that anyway. In my free time, I use watching sports as a way to unwind, and get some little excitement and joy. If the joy gets removed and the program gets stuck in the gutter, I will replace most Duke games with something else.

I had to turn the game off after Flip got his fourth foul but thought we could pull it off because they couldn’t knock us out earlier. So what happened in the last five minutes that the wheels came off?

It wasn't the last 5 minutes, more like the final 9. In the final 9 minutes, Duke did not score a single basket, merely one made free throw.

I agree. Unfortunately, if that is the case, my support as a fan will significantly decrease, not that anyone cares about that anyway. In my free time, I use watching sports as a way to unwind, and get some little excitement and joy. If the joy gets removed and the program gets stuck in the gutter, I will replace most Duke games with something else.

The Amaker thing/Duke potentially de-emphasizing basketball is so weird given how we went all in with Elko and co. for football.

The Amaker thing/Duke potentially de-emphasizing basketball is so weird given how we went all in with Elko and co. for football.

It's probably because football is so much more important financially long-term.

Reactions: TBC

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom