Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Best game in the rivalry from each side's perspective

uncy12

All American
For Duke side I think last year at the dome probably is near the top. For the UNC side 05 DD game is high up there.

My favorite was a loss

102-100 Double OT

'01 in Chapel Hill was pretty great.

But I really hate UNC, so I'm also partial to blowouts. 2002 was the best year I can remember in the rivalry. 2010 at Duke was amazing as well.

uncy12 said:
For Duke side I think last year at the dome probably is near the top. For the UNC side 05 DD game is high up there.
You can thank the refs for that one...

I don't think I'll ever get over that game.

2005 Duke had 2005 UNC's number...

---

And I watched the extended highlights of this game on youtube but Duke beating UNC in the 1992 ACCT Final to clinch the #1 seed must've been awesome.

The season before UNC humiliated Duke in the ACCT Final which is why Duke ended up with a #2 seed despite winning the ACC regular season outright and getting to the ACCT Final.

2011 ACCT title game was fun. Nolan pretty much made Butter his bitch from the opening tip, all our guards got in on the scoring action, Miles had a really nice jam IIRC, and we stymied the black falcon enough that he initially didn't want to get off the team bus and go to the post game meeting because he was pouting so much. Oh, and Dexter Strickland got free twitter wallpaper from it to after completing his greatest play in his personal history, a charge.

2006 sucked the most for obvious reasons.

2010 was fun in besides the blowout, i'll never forget how the gameday commentators were just laughing at halftime, literally laughing (laughed at hubert davis for picking UNC pregame), with funny stuff like Bilas tearing up the notes from the game because it was such a dominating blowout even by halftime. I think UNC fans wanted to kill larry drew after that kept showing that play over and over of him just standing around disinterested while Nolan blew by him.

1998 at home was great.

WorldStar HipHop said:
uncy12 said:

---

And I watched the highlights of this game on youtube but Duke beating UNC in the ACCT Final to clinch the #1 seed must've been awesome.

The season before, UNC humiliated Duke in the ACCT Final which is why Duke ended up with a #2 seed despite winning the ACC regular season and getting to the ACCT Final.
Seriously? Give me a break....

DS- even as a UNC fan I have to laugh at the Hubert Davis clip. Thank god Roy, and K respect each other. That could have very easily been 50 points

The Rivers shot may be favorite for the simple fact that I heard for months how unc was going to sweep Duke. 82-50 for obvious reasons. Duhon in 04. But honestly the most enjoyable game was 05 I believe when JJ put 35 up in the dean dome.

uncy12 said:
WorldStar HipHop said:
uncy12 said:

---

And I watched the highlights of this game on youtube but Duke beating UNC in the ACCT Final to clinch the #1 seed must've been awesome.

The season before, UNC humiliated Duke in the ACCT Final which is why Duke ended up with a #2 seed despite winning the ACC regular season and getting to the ACCT Final.
Seriously? Give me a break....
Yeah. Seriously.

No one will ever convince me that it wasn't a ref-aided UNC comeback.

Btw, Duke could've still won that game. IIRC, JJ had a 3 that went in and out when Duke was down 75-73 in the final seconds...

marleyboy4945 said:
The Rivers shot may be favorite for the simple fact that I heard for months how unc was going to sweep Duke. 82-50 for obvious reasons. Duhon in 04. But honestly the most enjoyable game was 05 I believe when JJ put 35 up in the dean dome.
That was 2006.

Duke actually had a large lead in that game but then Roy took all of his starters out and put in the blue team. The starters came back and stormed back to take the lead.

But then Redick took over and kept shooting right over the top of Frasor...

Yeah, we were jobbed in the worst way in that final minute at UNC in '05. Total horseshit. I was begging to see them in the tournament that year because that Duke team was in their heads.

'04 at the Dome was probably my greatest watching experience. Watched in a big room full of friends, equally split among Duke and Carolina fans. A couple of those Carolina fans were my roommates and so that final shot was infinitely rewarding.

In the last few years, the ACCT game was my favorite. Not as much of a beatdown as 82-50 but a lot more rewarding given the talent-levels of the teams. Also, that was the first and only time Roy and K have met in the ACCT and it was for the championship. Plus, we'd just gotten spanked at Carolina three games earlier.

Some of the utter beatdowns in the Doherty days were fun too.

I remember the phantom foul on Marvin Williams which led to the and-1. Before that, David Noel grabbing Ewing from behind and practically ripping his arm off for the "steal" on a possession that would have likely iced the game.

rome8180 said:
'04 at the Dome was probably my greatest watching experience. Watched in a big room full of friends, equally split among Duke and Carolina fans. A couple of those Carolina fans were my roommates and so that final shot was infinitely rewarding.

In the last few years, the ACCT game was my favorite. Not as much of a beatdown as 82-50 but a lot more rewarding given the talent-levels of the teams. Also, that was the first and only time Roy and K have met in the ACCT and it was for the championship. Plus, we'd just gotten spanked at Carolina three games earlier.

Some of the utter beatdowns in the Doherty days were fun too.
I have always wondered what would have happened if Modern day IC existed in the Doherty era.

Doherty's 8-20 UNC team at Cameron was my least favorite win. You could get into Cameron at tipoff if you wanted to. It wasn't at max capacity in the student sections. Duke had nothing to gain and everything to lose. And then Doherty rewarded the fans with stall ball for 40 minutes, which was the right thing to do tactically, but an embarrassment to UNC and to the game.

Most cherished wins:

1989 ACC T (Duke was on a massive national run and that was the most heated game in the rivalry i had seen - or would see until 2003)
2003 reg season finale - we needed that so bad
98 at the Dome - highlight reel
2006 senior night at Cameron
86 dean dome opener - top 5 matchup
98 ACC T - revenge for the cameron collapse

most painful losses:

98 in Cameron. inexcusable choke
2012 in Dean Dome. Just stunning.
duhon's coast to coast in 04
84 ACC Semi's - that team... i can't get into it. that was a program springboard for duke
take your pick from the 3 game sweep in 88
05 in Cameron when Felton and McCants jacked up the last possession

yeah, i guess i don't get the lovefest for 82-50.

its so unimpressive. that UNC team stunk, and quit. its like beating retarded chicks at poker. congrats, i guess? LOL - we were awful and no UNC fan I know is really all that bummed about that game. we all had given up on that team long ago.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Doherty's 8-20 UNC team at Cameron was my least favorite win. You could get into Cameron at tipoff if you wanted to. It wasn't at max capacity in the student sections. Duke had nothing to gain and everything to lose. And then Doherty rewarded the fans with stall ball for 40 minutes, which was the right thing to do tactically, but an embarrassment to UNC and to the game.
Didn't you guys hang 90+ on us in Cameron that year, and Jay Will nearly hit 40? I know a week later, you guys won with a big ten score for like 61-49

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom