Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Death Pool

I think I remember Bret Bearup posting on accboards.com

Wow. He posted all over the place 10 years ago. He was Billy Donovan's bag man IIRC. Ran some sketchy investment fund that produced great returns for graduated players or something.

Really bummed about this one. Hit me hardest of any death since Philip Seymour Hoffman.

I just realized I've been to three restaurants featured on Parts Unknown.

This one has absolutely destroyed me.

I've spent most of the day preoccupied with 20 sick patients and trying to keep 1 lady from dying, but when I got back to my office at the end of the day, I just broke down.

About a guy I never knew -- even though I felt like I knew him. It's absurd, really.

Worst part of all of it was that, despite a lifetime of wandering, it seemed that he was one who 'got it.' He'd reached the point in life that we all strive to achieve -- having a place, a purpose, a comfort, and (I thought) a happiness.

WTF do I know

@NOD well said. I felt personally connected with him because he was a punk rocker and free spirit. He loved many of the same things as I do -- travel, new experiences, food, friends, drinking, music, literature, etc. His politics were in line with mine but he managed to be more graceful and open minded than I am. When he talked to people, he talked to them on their terms. He was funny and warm and he accepted others for what they were. He really listened.

I feel like I've lost a friend, in a way, and that's a feeling I only get with a handful of celebrities (mostly writers and a few musicians).

Don't know if you guys saw the episode this season about West Virginia, but IMO it was the best show he'd ever done. It epitomized his deep sense of empathy and ability to find the best in everyone. I think this one hits especially hard because he had a decency that is rapidly becoming rare in today's society. Though of course it is nonsense, a part of me thinks he left because he didn't fit these times.

I actually saw him in customs at the Miami airport in January. I absolutely loathe the notion of bothering famous people, but today I kind of wish I had at least 'hassled' him with a kind word about how much I've enjoyed his work for so many years. RIP.

"A decency that is rapidly becoming rare in today's society." Totally agree. He was clearly a liberal, but he avoided the pitfall of younger members of the left: demonizing and dismissing everyone who doesn't agree with them.

Obviously, the right is just as bad or worse about this. I just have to interact with them less. And it's less frustrating that they are this way: I expect nothing from them.

Last edited:
I was a huge fan of his for a long time, but my interest had fizzled recently. Wasn't following him that much, only saw a few episodes of Parts Unknown. It's a shame when it takes someone's death to remind you how much you really enjoyed their work. Seemed like a genuinely good and decent man, and the world is worse off without him in it.

I believe eight seasons of Parts Unknown are on Netflix. I recommend just jumping around at random based on whatever location sounds interesting to you. My favorite are the war-torn or impoverished countries, but to each his own. "Iran" is my favorite episode.

CNN tribute was gut wrenching. Sure it was a virtual mixed tape of dunks and 3-pointer swishes re his humanity, but it wasn't fake in that he was in fact that good. Rewatched 'Ethiopia' and his latest Vietnam show with the wife. Just tears. Always appreciated what he had to say, but damn Joni Mitchell said it best. What a fucking loss. Irreplaceable.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom