Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2017-2018

You guys asking White to be a 3 off the bench are ignoring that he will be a 4 off the bench. He won't be asked to guard wings, IMO

Agreed. White did play a few minutes at the 3 this past year, but his future is clearly as a stretch 4, unless we're in deep foul trouble on the perimeter.

torontoduke said:
From what I have read about Trent, I agree with your assessment, Childress. He seems to have excellent strength for a wing player.

Yes, he does. He has really good upper body strength for someone his age. I may have mentioned on this 247, but I'm around kids that age in basketball almost daily, and seeing a physique like his is pretty impressive. Duval also has a good build- and I'm sure being at IMG has helped in that regard quite a bit, that place is world class for high school athletes. I really do expect Trent Jr to be a much better version of Andre Dawkins, if we are making Duke comparisons. Actually, although I was too young to see him play, Trajan Langdon might be a solid comparison for Trent Jr- at least production wise. As a freshman Langdon went for 11.3ppg on 42% from 3pt in 25mpg. I would expect similar production from Trent Jr, although I think his 3pt percentage will probably be a little bit lower. Trent Jr has an incredible skill package for someone his age, he knows how to get to his shot off the dribble.

One thing regarding Trent Jr is that he isn't necessarily an explosive athlete like Duval is for example, but he already has a good build to him, so that may be something that impacts his draft stock if scouts think he's close to his potential already. I expect Trent Jr to contribute right away at Duke. The ideal situation would have been for him to be the 6th man behind Jackson and Allen at the 2 and 3, but he'll be fine starting. In my opinion he's one of the most "ready now" players in this class due to his advanced skill package and build.

torontoduke said:
From what I have read about Trent, I agree with your assessment, Childress. He seems to have excellent strength for a wing player.

Yes, he does. He has really good upper body strength for someone his age. I may have mentioned on this 247, but I'm around kids that age in basketball almost daily, and seeing a physique like his is pretty impressive. Duval also has a good build- and I'm sure being at IMG has helped in that regard quite a bit, that place is world class for high school athletes. I really do expect Trent Jr to be a much better version of Andre Dawkins, if we are making Duke comparisons. Actually, although I was too young to see him play, Trajan Langdon might be a solid comparison for Trent Jr- at least production wise. As a freshman Langdon went for 11.3ppg on 42% from 3pt in 25mpg. I would expect similar production from Trent Jr, although I think his 3pt percentage will probably be a little bit lower. Trent Jr has an incredible skill package for someone his age, he knows how to get to his shot off the dribble.

One thing regarding Trent Jr is that he isn't necessarily an explosive athlete like Duval is for example, but he already has a good build to him, so that may be something that impacts his draft stock if scouts think he's close to his potential already. I expect Trent Jr to contribute right away at Duke. The ideal situation would have been for him to be the 6th man behind Jackson and Allen at the 2 and 3, but he'll be fine starting. In my opinion he's one of the most "ready now" players in this class due to his advanced skill package and build.

I would be happy if Trent could put up those kind of numbers. I have read that he sometimes struggles with shot selection. Any thoughts on that?

I don't think Trent is nearly that kind of a shooter. It's not just the selection but his consistency. I know his reputation is as a shooter, but I believe he's pretty overrated in that regard. In fact, I expect him to kind of struggle overall. I think his biggest value as a freshman can be on defense.

I think Trent is pretty fundamentally sound, and will see the floor for enough time to put up similar scoring numbers to Langdon, but I expect he'll do it at more like 44% FG / 36% 3FG. I think he'll play at least 31 mpg, likely a little more than that.

Whoever of White, Tucker, Trent is making 3's will play, IMO. Might be game to game for all of them. Trent won't be bigger than everyone he plays against anymore, so I could see him struggling to adjust since he's not an elite athlete.

I'm not worried about Trent struggling to adjust so much as him being overhyped to begin with. Most games I've watched he's been inefficient and missed way more open threes than an "elite shooter" should. Some of the misses were very bad.

He has more of a handle, more aggression, and better defensive skills than Andre though. So he may be able to provide something besides shooting.

rome8180 said:
I'm not worried about Trent struggling to adjust so much as him being overhyped to begin with. Most games I've watched he's been inefficient and missed way more open threes than an "elite shooter" should. Some of the misses were very bad.

He has more of a handle, more aggression, and better defensive skills than Andre though. So he may be able to provide something besides shooting.

I've watched his highlight vidoes, and I think he is a fundamentally good basketball player who has no elite skills. He's like a Matt Jones with good posture and a release that isn't from the 50's. He's going to be good, but if he goes cold from 3, I can't imagine he'll get as much grace from K as Matt.

I've been consistently impressed with his lateral movement and physicality on defense. That may get him grace from K if it carries over.

The alternative is playing Alex O'Connell on the wing. Trent is going to get every opportunity to play 30-35 mpg even in games where his shot isn't working, but the good news is I think he's got the tools to be at least mediocre on D.

O'Connell should redshirt and spend the year building muscle mass and going through puberty.

For the record, I don't think O'Connell will be a worthless shit over his career but understand why he's such a lightning rod.

skins said:
For the record, I don't think O'Connell will be a worthless shit over his career but understand why he's such a lightning rod.

Whether he will actually be or not, K will see him as a worthless shit for at least a year.

Yeah, like rome I think he should redshirt but I suspect K will find a way to get him roughly 12 minutes of playing time over 7 random games this season.

The chatter I'm hearing is that he is better than Alex Murphy at this stage. Take it for what it's worth.

Duval is a half-step too slow laterally to guard someone as quick as Jordan Goldwire. His length allowed him to recover reasonably well, just not well enough to block the shot from someone as long as Jordan Goldwire.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom