Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2021-2022

It’s been 12 goddamn years. I don’t give a single shit about whether it’s a share or not. I’d have taken the four-way share we‘d have gotten in 2020 if ND hadn’t choked a double digit lead to FSU late.

I have no recollection of what place we were in in March 2020. I just remember the Justin Robinson game and then buying a bunch of rice, pasta and cleaning supplies the next day.

If we win the ACC regular season and the ACCT and don't get a 1 seed, that seems like it would be a huge historical anomaly, right? Curious how many times a team had won both and not gotten a 1 seed since the tournament expanded.

One thing that has struck me as we approach March is that while this team fully looks like a contender, due to being full of cool-looking NBA talent, it mostly lacks the kind of killer competitor personalities that a K team requires to be an actual tournament threat.

Mark and Keels are actually the two guys who seem to have that kind of mindset (maybe Theo too, in his minor role). Unfortunately, Keels hasn't been good enough for most of the year to have his confidence actually benefit us, and while Mark is great and perfect and I love him, he can only do so much to carry a team as a non-offensive-creator.

As of a few weeks ago, I was optimistic that AJ could step up and be that consistent 1.a/1.b with Paolo, after he really stepped up his usage and averaged over 20 PPG over our 3-game road trip vs. Louisville/ND/UNC. He's just averaged a little over 10 PPG on <40% FG since then though, and hasn't been able to do much other than hit threes.

Seems like we have to hope 1) AJ has another leap in him this season, and 2) Keels's being very good recently is somehow real (14.2 PPG on 54%FG/39%3PT, although still terrible at FTs, which is a non-trivial problem). Moore/Roach/Paolo all have their moments, but I think it's pretty clear by this point in the season that 1-3 of them are going to be fully out of it mentally on any given night.

If we win the ACC regular season and the ACCT and don't get a 1 seed, that seems like it would be a huge historical anomaly, right? Curious how many times a team had won both and not gotten a 1 seed since the tournament expanded.
I don't know the answer, but as a starting point, these are the years since expansion that no ACC team got a 1 seed:

1980, 1985, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1996, 2003, 2013, 2021

I think out of those the only time a team has finished with (or tied for) the best regular season record and been ACC champs is Miami 2013 and Georgia Tech 1985.

Both, incidentally, ended up as the #2 seed in the East.

That's what I came up with too:

UVA - 2018 (#1 seed)
UNC - 2016 (#1 seed)
UVA - 2014 (#1 seed)
Miami - 2013 (#2 seed)
Duke - 2010 (#1 seed)
UNC - 2008 (#1 seed)
UNC - 2007 (#1 seed)
Duke - 2006 (#1 seed)
Duke - 2001 (#1 seed)
Duke - 2000 (#1 seed)
Duke - 1999 (#1 seed)
Wake Forest - 1995 (#1 seed)
Duke - 1992 (#1 seed)
Duke - 1986 (#1 seed)
Georgia Tech - 1985 (#2 seed)
UNC - 1982 (#1 seed)

I know the tournament wasn't technically 64 teams until 1985, but I went all the way back to 1980 for good measure.

It’s been 12 goddamn years. I don’t give a single shit about whether it’s a share or not. I’d have taken the four-way share we‘d have gotten in 2020 if ND hadn’t choked a double digit lead to FSU late.
Completely forgot about that. Jesus

I think we see the following 1 seeds

West (San Francisco) - Gonzaga
South (San Antonio) - Arizona
Midwest (Chicago) - Kansas
East (Philadelphia) - UK/Auburn

I think Duke can get the East #2 if they win out. Then you have to hope Nova doesn’t get the #3. Maybe some dark horse like Arkansas or Tennessee can win the SECT and open the door for the East #1.

Off the top of my head, I think Duke has a decent track record in tournament rematches against teams it beat in the regular season. But yeah, there are plenty of reasons to want to avoid these two teams this year.

Off the top of my head, I think Duke has a decent track record in tournament rematches against teams it beat in the regular season. But yeah, there are plenty of reasons to want to avoid these two teams this year.
Worked out well in 2015

Reactions: TS9
With the season coming to a close, there's few games left enough we can now look at probabilities for ACCT seeding:

👑1st place 👑: ~92% -- The just win baby scenario and by far the most likely, as any permutation of 2-1 puts us out of reach of anyone but ND who we obviously would win the tiebreaker ahead of. In fact the only way we don't win it outright is if ND wins out and we do in fact drop one, so as of right now it's looking at about a ~80% of an outright win without tiebreakers coming into play. There's also some weird scenarios where Duke goes 1-2, but ND and Miami drop at least one, but at least right now that seems quite unlikely.

2nd place: ~3% -- This is the 1-2 scenario below, with having beaten UNC, or Miami failing to win out, as we'd win any tiebreaker involved with UNC (if there's a split) and/or ND by virtue of ND's win over UNC. I suppose there's also a scenario ND loses out, UNC wins out, and we go 1-2 but this isn't worth thinking about. The big take away is that by beating UNC, regardless of what else happens I don't think we can finish worse than 2nd.

3rd place : ~5-6% -- What this could look like is Duke losing out and UNC losing one of it's other two non-Duke games. if ND or Miami finish with at least two more wins, whether it's in the blob or not, since UNC lost their games to both, Duke's win against ND would give it 3rd. Very unlikely Duke loses out however, so the most "reasonable" scenario is Duke goes 1-2, Miami wins out, and ND wins out. By virtue of our loss to Miami, we're 3rd. Now if all three teams finish 15-5, meaning ND drops an easy one, the last game against UNC becomes crucial, since they're most likely the tiebeaker then used since everyone in the 3 team blob is 1-1 against each other. If we lose to UNC, we're 3rd because Miami/ND have went 1-0. If we beat UNC but somehow lost to Pitt and Cuse, I think the worse we can do is 2nd because in either case records against Wake or UVA would be used as the tiebreaker, putting us above ND if it's Wake, and above Miami if it's UVA. So it's either lose out or losing 2/3 including to UNC.

4th place: < 1% (and probably less than 0.1%) -- I believe we would have to lose out, UNC win out, Miami win at least 2/3, and Notre Dame at least 2/3. In some weird blob where we only won one non-UNC game, UNC won out, and we ended up in ties with either ND and/or Miami, UNC lost their games to those teams too, so they would finish 4th and we'd finish 3rd.

Lower than 4th place: 0%

----

These are subject to wild swings if Duke does something stupid like lose to Syracuse this Saturday, and mild upward projection if we win (moreso if Miami and/or ND loses). But at least now we're in the best position with three games left than we've been in for quite some time, even better than 2020 (which we had just screwed ourselves badly losing to Wake, and Louisville hadn't dropped 2 out of their last 3 yet). Strikes me as interesting that we have twice the chance at finishing 3rd than 2nd, goes to show how the UNC game looms much larger for its tiebreaking potential than an unlikely 0-2 trip against Pitt/Cuse

Last edited:

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom