Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

Wish we did the offense/defense subbing for RJ… but then didn't sub him back in on offense.

Especially when he either scored or drew a foul every time he touched it in the center of the zone.

I also partially blame Bolden. He kept trying to post on one side while Zion was trying to get position on the other. Made it easy for the 2-3 to crowd them both and deny entry passes.

Of course, chucker RJ didn't help the last 10 mins by trying to get a 3 off every chance he got instead of driving into the zone like he did *a little* earlier in the game.

We're at the start of a long process toward most coaches realizing going for 3 on the final possession down 2 is almost always the best strategy. I think this will be the common approach in 10 years, but still so far away. To K's credit, the Rivers shot, so he seems to already be in the minority that kind of gets it.

The Vanderbilt coach, as seen blowing the game against Tennessee, not in that minority.

I have used this strategy 2/2 times. We hit one last season and won and last night we got a clean look but missed it. No regrets.

Coach K did it with the Rivers shot as well as the Reddish 3 versus FSU.

I have used this strategy 2/2 times. We hit one last season and won and last night we got a clean look but missed it. No regrets.

Coach K did it with the Rivers shot as well as the Reddish 3 versus FSU.

They were down 1 in the case of the Reddish shot, so that’s a bit different. There you’re just trying to get the best possible shot and in that case a wide open three was going to likely be way better than anything else they got under the basket with 2 seconds left. Point here when down 2 is to take a 30-35 percent chance to win right there versus taking a slightly higher percentage shot only to at best force another 50-50 proposition (Entire OT). And for Vandy OT was less than 50-50 because they are not as good as Tenn.

Dumbasses on Twitter saying "Well, the Spurs lost" as if that proves anything.

The lack of critical thinking skills in this country...sigh.

Reactions: TBC
I wonder if the true, Plan A version of "switch everything" is here to stay. I like it, if so, if for no other reason than ball screens being the bane of our existence this year again. Will be interesting to see if it holds up against better spread-and-drive teams, though.

I thought Bolden was excellent today defending guards on switches. They went after him pretty often, and he seemed to consistently force bad misses. Seems like the simplicity of switching everything makes him more confident defending in space, even if it creates mismatches against him.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom