Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

I also imagine this is relative to quality of opponent, in which case I'll put UNC higher (since they're generally good and we often win there).

1) Pittsburgh
2) GT
3) BC
4) Clemson
5) Virginia
6) Wake
7) Florida State
7) North Carolina
8) Miami
9) Syracuse
10) Virginia Tech
11) Louisville
12) NC State

Have we actually lost much at FSU this last decade? I feel like that's an impression left over from the mid-2000s. I could even be talked into moving them up the list.

I also imagine this is relative to quality of opponent, in which case I'll put UNC higher (since they're generally good and we often win there).

1) Pittsburgh
2) GT
3) BC
4)Virginia
5) Clemson
6) Wake
7) Florida State
7) North Carolina
8) Miami
9) Syracuse
10) Virginia Tech
11) Louisville
12) NC State

Yeah, I factored strength of opponent into my list, or at least I attempted to. I think your rankings are very fair too, only real quibble is Wake at 6; we've lost there once in 10 games since 2009, when the 2014 team had one of their many disastrous choke jobs.

Have we actually lost much at FSU this last decade? I feel like that's an impression left over from the mid-2000s. I could even be talked into moving them up the list.

Just looked it up (as I should've done at first), and we've only lost there in 2011 and 2017. Won in 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2019, so yeah, we've done fairly well down in Tallahassee lately.

Last edited:

1) Pittsburgh
2) GT
3) BC
4)Virginia
5) Clemson
6) Wake
7) Florida State
7) North Carolina
8) Miami
9) Syracuse
10) Virginia Tech
11) Louisville
12) NC State

Yeah, I factored strength of opponent into my list, or at least I attempted to. I think your rankings are very fair too, only real quibble is Wake at 6; we've lost there once in 10 games since 2009, when the 2014 team had one of their many disastrous choke jobs.

Fair, I was also thinking about near escapes that shouldn't have been. In 2015 we won by three points there, I think. In 2017 we won on a Luke Kennard game winner. When you think about how bad they've been post-Gaudio, one loss and two near escapes is not great. But yeah, probably could put them above either of UVA or Clemson.

It's also a little tricky because the sample size is widely varying. Obviously we've had a lot more opportunities to win/lose at UNC than at Syracuse.

1) Pittsburgh
2) GT
3) BC
4) Clemson
5) Virginia
6) Wake
7) Florida State
7) North Carolina
8) Miami
9) Syracuse
10) Virginia Tech
11) Louisville
12) NC State

Without looking I believe we have losses to all of those teams on the road from 2010 on. But I think it’s been the longest since we lost to Georgia Tech- happened in the 2010 title season. They had Favors I believe.

We had that garbage loss on a buzzer beater at Cameron with the Rivers team. IIRC we destroyed them at their place at the end of that season and then Ryan Kelly got hurt.

Wow, I didn't realize we'd lost at Pitt in 2016. I don't have any memory of that game. It wasn't even close either.

Reactions: TBC
In retrospect, there have been a ton of games I didn't watch over since 2014. Part of it is life stuff, but part of it is that basketball mostly stresses me out and makes me unhappy now. I spent all but the last two minutes of yesterday's game in a rage. We won by 16 and were never in any real danger of losing.

In retrospect, there have been a ton of games I didn't watch over since 2014. Part of it is life stuff, but part of it is that basketball mostly stresses me out and makes me unhappy now. I spent all but the last two minutes of yesterday's game in a rage. We won by 16 and were never in any real danger of losing.
This was teenage me.

My expectations are totally different now.

Reactions: TBC
For me, the anxiety and anger has just gotten worse every year. It's not something I know how to control and it makes every game day terrible.

Between 16-24, I actually didn't watch much Duke. I cared about other things like music and weed. Returned big time with JJ's emergence and got more and more extreme. But I think the big turning point was joining TDD in 2009 and being able to spend 16 hours a day reading and obsessing over Duke if I wanted to.

It's getting worse for me because I know I won't be able to enjoy Duke/college ball in general as much when K leaves.

That's going to be a relief, tbh. I can watch Duke games with the expectation of losses and be pleasantly surprised when we win. 2016 was an enjoyable Duke season for me because we weren't going anywhere but we achieved about as much as we should have.

And by then hopefully the Warriors will be mortal, so I can enjoy the superior sport.

K has a winning record against 181 of the 199 coaches he's coached against. So he's .500 or worse against 18.

Dean Smith and coaches he coached against at Army and who else?

It says Kenpom era, so that would exclude Smith, no?

Assuming the rest of the 18 are a bunch of 0-1 randos

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom