Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke News Article/Publicity Thread

Not if you use a silly...yet concerned...voice you’d use if you were, in fact, talking to a baby stuck in tar.

Looks like even an idiot running things should be able to monetize the new NIL bylaws to an insurmountable recruiting advantage.

Hmm, I think that was just a big bump relating to K's retirement. Vandy baseball got 3M hits in June because duh, the College World Series was that month. Duke should, of course, lean into this misleading data for recruiting purposes.

K Academy has always been the cringiest thing on the planet to me. Everything about it seems so embarrassing for everyone involved.

That's what I've been thinking all along. How else can you live vicariously thru those we watch?

The "Field Of Dad's Dreams".

What the FUCK kind of bullshit is this from Eamonn Brennan in the Athletic?

2. Duke (11-1)
You know what’s cool? The uniforms Duke wore Wednesday night. Honestly. No matter what you think of Duke, no matter how hard you want to hate Duke, on a purely aesthetic basis, you can’t be mad at it: The script font unis Duke wore Wednesday night against Virginia Tech were sublime.

It was so good you might actually buy a replica … if it weren’t Duke. Which, after having this thought, is really the defining aspect of Duke basketball at this stage: No one except hardcore Duke fans are into it. This was always the case, to some extent; Duke has never been a popular entity, an attitude Coach K has always been eager to accentuate, in an us-against-the-world sort of way. (It started as us-against-the-state, by the way, which is part of why Duke-UNC has its ongoing cultural resonance.) He’s right. Very few people like Duke. The people that do like Duke, if they didn’t attend Duke, well, you have to ask questions about those people. It’s unlikely they’d be your friends. What do they really stand for?

But back in the Shane Battier days, everyone could at least acknowledge the greatness. Duke was the New England Patriots of college basketball. The American Express commercials were a thing. Everyone had a baseline level of respect, even if it started to curdle in the early aughts. Everyone kissed the ring.

There was a call in the first half of Wednesday night’s game against Virginia Tech that was bad. We don’t remember which one it was, because, honestly, does it matter? It was a bad call, at Cameron Indoor, that favored Duke, and there was a part of us that was just like “Wow, good for K, he’s still getting those,” and the other part of us thought, “Is Duke going to be like this forever? Bad calls at home? Is this just what it is?” There’s other stuff, sure, like Paolo Banchero and Wendell Moore and now A.J. Griffin, who has just now started to look like a player. There’s always talent.

Still: weird program, at a weird time. We’ll see. Good team, though.

I hate this sport's media/journalists so much, every single one is essentially a dinosaur that has been writing about CBB since the 80s/90s/2000s and haven't refreshed their cultural understandings since. "Very few people like Duke" this isn't 2005, Duke may be the most disliked as well, but it's pretty clear by now that they are also by far the most followed/popular team among the current generation coming of age, with little to none of the cultural baggage that saddled the team from Laettner through Paulus.

Without Duke's popularity keeping the sport alive, and just barely, you probably wouldn't have a job. You should be on your knees thanking us, asshole.

And Duke got a call at home? That's so unique, I don't think that happens anywhere else. Moron.

Last edited:
What a substantive article with a fresh, interesting perspective.

Last night was one of the few times this season I thought Duke got the worse end of the whistle. Tons of weak touch fouls in the post when that long guy wildly flailed his limbs, plus there were almost two identical instances of Duke players getting called for something VT didn't: 1) Theo called for fitting for position when Aluma (I think) flopped, then in the second half Aluma throws Moore (I think) out of the way for a put back and 2) Roach called for hooking, but later limbs wasn't called for it when making a post move.

I don't know who Eamonn Brennan is, but if he had gotten an offer to play for K he would have jumped at it, at which point he would have been the most hated player in the country.

Last night was one of the few times this season I thought Duke got the worse end of the whistle. Tons of weak touch fouls in the post when that long guy wildly flailed his limbs, plus there were almost two identical instances of Duke players getting called for something VT didn't: 1) Theo called for fitting for position when Aluma (I think) flopped, then in the second half Aluma throws Moore (I think) out of the way for a put back and 2) Roach called for hooking, but later limbs wasn't called for it when making a post move.
There were even a couple of bad calls against us that Bilas, of all people, mentioned. One was that "tie-up" that went VT's way, but where the VT player wasn't even touching the ball. Can't remember the other.

There were even a couple of bad calls against us that Bilas, of all people, mentioned. One was that "tie-up" that went VT's way, but where the VT player wasn't even touching the ball. Can't remember the other.

In the second half there was a reach-in called on either Keels or Roach, I think, that looked like a flailing VT player and no contact when they replayed it. You can hear Bilas start to say something and then cut himself off. I guess protesting on Duke's behalf twice in the same game would have ruined his credibility.

Is Duke really not selling the "White Brotherhood" jerseys anywhere? I haven't bought a basketball jersey in like 25 years, but I find myself wanting one of those. Why would they not be selling them? I don't get it.

I must admit- as a middle-aged person, I buy jerseys from the Duke U store.

I would love to have a brotherhood jersey. The only place I've seen them is on bootleg sites.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom