Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Durham, Fuck Yeah

It's fantastic and really affordable. Can get a great meal (apps and entrees) for 2 people for $30, not including drinks.

About to move to Durham. Just need a one-bedroom apartment big enough for me and my dog. Anyone with tips/connections/where to look that won't bankrupt me?

Liberty Place is in an awesome area. Not sure the cost, though.

It's too bad my mom sold all her rental properties. She was the last person in the Ninth Street area offering affordable options.

It's also dumb as fuck because now she has very little income and if she has a long sickness before she dies, there goes our inheritance.

I've lived in Greensboro for several years and paid $775/month for a 2 bed/2 bath but lol at getting that in Durham. I'm looking at something in the Croasdaile area soon. Looked OK from what I saw online?

It’s Liberty Warehouse, not Place. Place looks scary. Warehouse would cost way more than what you’re paying now. Location is great though.

Right? You should base all your decisions around your irresponsible children. How am I ever going to retire if she doesn't save money for me?

It's too bad my mom sold all her rental properties. She was the last person in the Ninth Street area offering affordable options.

It's also dumb as fuck because now she has very little income and if she has a long sickness before she dies, there goes our inheritance.

This reminds me of a former friend of mine, an only child, who angrily shared with me at a party that his father had died and his mother seemed intent on spending "all of my money".
His father had been a triplegic for several years (I don't know if caused by injury or illness) and his mother had stuck by him, put her life on hold, and did everything for him till the end.
That conversation was on the list of reasons he became a former friend. Maybe other trust fund kids could relate to shit like that, but all I inherited was anger and incredible good looks. Therefore, I could not.

In all reality, I am actually worried about how she seems to be intent on getting rid of all her sources of income. I get that she's older and she doesn't want to deal with it, but I don't know how fully she's planned for old age.

She sold three rental properties and gave the farm (a grow operation Northern California) to my stepbrother. The two sales netted her plenty of money, but there's no new income. I guess she can always sell her Durham house and move in with me. It's a big house on Club Blvd, so that's got to be worth $750,000 or so now. My stepdad bought it in 1990 for $80,000.

If it sounds like we were rich, we really weren't. My stepdad and mom had mediocre jobs but were incredibly frugal. They were smart with their money and invested in properties.

I recently did the math on this and concluded handing down property doesn’t make sense, relative to selling and putting the cash in reasonable liquid investments, especially with the Trump tax reform essentially eliminating property tax deductions. There are exceptions, like if you were sitting on real estate 10 years ago and could see the future.

It sounds like your mom isn’t putting the money in a good place, though.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom