Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Fucked Up Lists

Ok I really don’t know more than 3 names on this list. Not sure what Whitehead at #3 says about the sport. Leaky Black #19. Someone from Princeton on this list.

This whole board desperately wanted Nijel Pack. Meanwhile, Scheyer was waiting on the much better overall transfer, Grandison. Neither of them are even close to Pete Nance’s level, though.

I’ve been following that list for a while now, and 2004 UConn in the top 5 had me rolling. They weren’t even the best team that season. I think that Final Four game vs Duke was the inevitable outcome of years of opponents’ Terping how “Duke gets all the calls!” When Emeka Okafor got that second early foul call and the fans were going nuts, the refs thought F this and fouled out every Duke big guy. I don’t even blame the refs anymore. They’re human and don’t want to face that instense criticism. Hate it for JJ, Shelden, and Ewing the most.

The real tragedy of that list was 2008 KU being nowhere near the top.

How the 2008 Kansas team is remembered is marred because Memphis blew the game. The general perception of that game is since Memphis coughed it up, that Kansas was an inferior team and not worthy of being remembered as a great team.

The 08 Kansas team finished #1 on KenPom- #2 on offense and #1 on defense. Their adjEM was 35.21, which is a huge gap from teams #2-5 that finished with 31.51, 30.22, 29.94, and 26.68. They finished with a higher adjEM than 2002 Duke, 2009 UNC, 2012 Kentucky, and 2018 Villanova. The only two teams to finish with a higher adjEM on KenPom since 2002 are 2015 Kentucky and 2021 Gonzaga, and neither one of those teams won the National Championship.

Edit: To add, 08 Kansas went 35-3. Their 3 losses were all on the road- ranked Kansas State team with Michael Beasley, by 3 points to #11 Texas, and by 1 point to Oklahoma State. They avenged the losses to K-State and Texas, beating each by double-digits in the follow-up.

I'm okay with 2015 Wisconsin being ahead of 2015 Duke. Wisconsin was the better overall team that year. Their offense was the most efficient in the Kenpom era. We were just a bad matchup for them.

But by the same logic, the list should ignore outcomes entirely. Just going by Kenpom, it should be:

2015 UK
2021 Gonzaga
2008 Kansas
2019 UVA
2002 Duke
2021 Baylor
2018 Villanova
2015 Wisconsin
2011 Ohio State
2010 Duke

I may have made a mistake somewhere in that order or missed a team. But at any rate, I'm guessing that's not the list. Even to me, having 2019 Virginia that high feels insane. 2002 Duke had the #1 offense and defense. I believe that's the only time in Kenpom history that's happened.

UNC winning three titles in this decade and having a shot at multiple more while having no teams in the top 10 is wild. Pretty sure their first entry is 2005 UNC at 12th.

2001 Duke would be at or near the top of that list too, but Kenpom doesn't have exact numbers for that.

Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 12.46.03 PM.png

Last edited:

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back