Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Happy Easter!

dkst0426

All American

Easter blessings to those who share in the faith.

And if you're a non-Christian, enjoy the time if you have anything special planned today.

10255016_10152122762797956_2939237145724849839_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the fact that some of the country is getting high on Jesus today and some of the country is just plain getting high on 4/20.

I've spent Easter Sunday raking dead grass, fallen leaves & acorns and shovelling dog shit.

A great day for yard work.

I took a nice walk because the buses don't operate today. I'll refrain from comment on what I think of that. However, the net result was positive for me as it was beautiful outside and I discovered a bunch of great songs by putting my iPod on shuffle.

Then I ate at brunch at a semi-fancy restaurant. Asparagus and goat cheese crepes with hollandaise sauce. It was awesome.

rome8180 said:
Thanksgiving is the best because... food.
We had a ham and a turkey, several different casseroles, a couple of salads, fruit, rolls, and at least 3 desserts to choose from yesterday. You've never had an Easter spread?

Nope, being from a nonreligious background, you kind of just do an Easter egg hunt and eat candy. At least that's how my family was.

We did do elaborate Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners though. Hard to think of anyone who did Thanksgiving in more style than us. We always drove up to New Jersey to visit with family friends. Since the friends were Italian, food was a big part of their life. We'd essentially have three full meals: the first being a huge spread of appetizers (olives, meats, cheeses, dips, bread), the second the main courses, the third a bunch of different pies and desserts. We didn't stick to the typical dishes either. There was turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, etc. But there was also eggplant with balsamic and mint, kale with cannelloni beans and other atypical dishes like that.

Easter was always about the candy in my household. Chocolate peanut butter eggs and a guaranteed stomach ache.

Food makes Thanksgiving amazing, but I love what the holiday is supposed to represent (at least to me). I didn't grow up with money, but I have an incredible amount to be thankful for in my life so far.

We always did big cajun feasts for Thanksgiving and Christmas. My Grandfather was born in Kiln, Mississippi and we had relatives in New Orleans. We were always eating gumbo and etouffe for Holidays. And corn bread dressing. Mmm, that shit was good. Plus if you are from the south, you will know what was for dessert, Ambrosia.

rome8180 said:
Nope, being from a nonreligious background, you kind of just do an Easter egg hunt and eat candy. At least that's how my family was.
Ah, gotcha. Don't let that stop you! Like physics said - there's plenty who use it as an excuse for a gathering with family/friends and a big spread anyway. I mean, if you're having such gatherings for Christmas whilst being from a nonreligious background, you can do it for Easter, too, right? ;)

We did do elaborate Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners though. Hard to think of anyone who did Thanksgiving in more style than us. We always drove up to New Jersey to visit with family friends. Since the friends were Italian, food was a big part of their life. We'd essentially have three full meals: the first being a huge spread of appetizers (olives, meats, cheeses, dips, bread), the second the main courses, the third a bunch of different pies and desserts. We didn't stick to the typical dishes either. There was turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, etc. But there was also eggplant with balsamic and mint, kale with cannelloni beans and other atypical dishes like that.
That sounds great (and is making me hungry). My family's done something similar, except with a Chinese/Malaysian twist to it. One of our first Thanksgivings here was actually turkey-less, since my mom who was the family kitchen boss wasn't too sure about how to cook a turkey.

This was our first Easter at our new church, and we're settling in with new friends and all, particularly youngish (hard to consider myself a young adult anymore with turning 40 this week) couples with kids. We were at a gathering of 5 such families yesterday from like 2pm until 9:30. Kids played outside while we were hanging out and having wine, ate around 4, did an Easter Egg Hunt in the backyard, let the kids play again, popped "Frozen" into the DVD player for the kids while the adults moved to the deck for dessert and more wine. Great evening. I joked during dinner that if this was my family, we'd start planning the next holiday before everyone left.........and sure enough, what did 3 of the wives start doing towards the end of the movie? :lol:

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom