Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HS All-Star Games

Re: 2014 HS Allstar games

Winslow is a really good passer. He had at least three interior passes that should have been converted. He is so Iguadola.

Jones and Okafor are capable of very good defense. Jones has such a sublime understanding of where the action is heading, he could be a fantastic help defender. Okafor's footwork and balance when he switched onto Mudiay late in the game were very impressive. He is just so damn nimble for his size.

Yeah, Okafor's defense was the most pleasant surprise of the night for me.

Hopefully Tyus has a high enough steal rate to make up for any weakness on ball screens. But this is definitely a reason I don't want to see a Cook-Jones backcourt. I think even if they were very good defenders they would be at a disadvantage because of their size. And neither of them qualifies as that.

Not that their games are similar, but something about Tyus reminded me of a senior Duhon, in terms of pace and control, knowing when to exert energy and when not to. I just remember feeling so trusting of Duhon to manage a game properly his senior year, Tyus gave me that same feeling throughout.

I think this is Friday 7pm ET on an ESPN channel. But not very competitive.

Last edited by a moderator:

I actually thought it was better than the McDonald's game last year. Not that that is saying much.

Justise Winslow (Duke): Winslow doesn't do anything that makes it so you can't take your eyes off him, but he's one of those guys whom you want on your team. He plays really hard. He doesn't make mistakes. He takes good shots. He rebounds. He finishes through contact. He'll be able to play the 3 and 4 at Duke because he has the strength, size and quickness to guard either position. Will Winslow put up great numbers as a freshman? Probably not. But Mike Krzyzewski will have a hard time keeping him off the floor.

I could fap to this paragraph. I think he makes Matt Jones pretty much unplayable with any combination of the other four starters, though. Like, Tyus/Matt/Winslow/Jefferson/Okafor would be ugly but Tyus/Sulaimon (or anyone who can shoot)/Winslow/Jefferson/Okafor should be great.

Maybe go with Tyus/Sulaimon/Winslow/Ojeleye/Okafor for some spurts... but lol K won't play Semi.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justise looks like a grown man, like he went through puberty about 15 years ago.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
I could fap to this paragraph. I think he makes Matt Jones pretty much unplayable with any combination of the other four starters, though. Like, Tyus/Matt/Winslow/Jefferson/Okafor would be ugly but Tyus/Sulaimon (or anyone who can shoot)/Winslow/Jefferson/Okafor should be great.

Maybe go with Tyus/Sulaimon/Winslow/Ojeleye/Okafor for some spurts... but lol K won't play Semi.

I really tend to be a data-driven, empirical guy, but... if someone asked me to put money on whether Semi would shoot better than Matt Jones again from the 3-point line next season, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.

I think Matt doesn't have that much to work on this summer besides three-point shooting (maybe some ball-handling, too), so I (maybe irrationally) think he'll improve. I also think that Semi in meaningful minutes might shoot worse.

I'd also wager his hit-the-rim% was possibly the lowest in Duke history for (>10) FGAs on a season.

If Winslow were a Kentucky commit, I feel like I'd be making Michael Kidd Gilchrist comparisons in terms of skillset and impact.

childress22 said:
SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:

I really tend to be a data-driven, empirical guy, but... if someone asked me to put money on whether Semi would shoot better than Matt Jones again from the 3-point line next season, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.

I think Matt doesn't have that much to work on this summer besides three-point shooting (maybe some ball-handling, too), so I (maybe irrationally) think he'll improve. I also think that Semi in meaningful minutes might shoot worse.

I agree with the bolded. I am not as down on Jones' season as most on here. I think his years of being a terrific high school shooter (and being scouted as such through a number of tournaments, etc) are more meaningful to me than a relatively small sample size this season, especially when he knew he would likely be yanked if the first one or two shots didn't fall.

I truly feel like Jones has to change his release point if he is going to succeed in the ACC and beyond. If not his release point, certainly his release quickness. He can still shoot a set shot, it just has to be quicker.

rhfarmer said:
I truly feel like Jones has to change his release point if he is going to succeed in the ACC and beyond. If not his release point, certainly his release quickness. He can still shoot a set shot, it just has to be quicker.
Unless he wants to maintain Thornton usage

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom