Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HS All-Star Games

Re: 2014 HS Allstar games

Just watched the Jordan Brand game.

1) Jahlil needs to get better on FT shooting and tip-ins. I believe all but one of his misses were on putbacks he failed to convert. He could also improve on rebounding, which is weird to say considering he had a game high in rebounds.

Overall, he was fantastic though. He and Tyus have a real connection.

2) I thought Tyus had more than 12 assists (as credited by box score). It seemed like almost every basket scored was his doing while he was on the floor. He only took five shots. I kind of hope he is that unselfish next year, except in crunch time. I''m okay with Okafor shooting three times as much, but when the game is on the line, I want him taking the shot.

3) Justise had 13 points? Why don't I remember most of them? He's just that kind of player, I guess.

4) Grayson...He had a few good moments, but overall this was not one of his better outings.

5) Misc: James Blackmon Jr. impressed me. Stanley Johnson was nice. Not overly impressed with Alexander, despite his output.

6) I actually think this class is better than last year's, despite the obvious star caliber in last year's class. I think these players are smarter and more rounded and more skilled.

7) Embiid's style is better than his grasp of the English language.

This was one of those threads where we kind of got it almost half the time.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Most exciting game for Duke basketball in 2014 is about to start.

rome8180 said:
Our offense is going to run through Okafor, so he might end up with the gaudiest of stats. But I expect Tyus to be the MVP of the class (and probably the team).

You guys know I love Cook, but I hope he is okay standing on the perimeter and shooting spot-up threes.

2001Dukechamps said:
The trio looked great. After what we've gone through this year, it was refreshing to watch them raise their intensity level and close out a tightly contested game.

rome8180 said:
Observations:

7) Pinson had a couple of nice defensive plays, but didn't do much on offense.

8) Berry did nothing of note. I may have overrated him when I watched him last year. He's been a non-factor the last two times I've seen him.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
They all looked good in the end.

Seems the Nike Hoop Summit will foretell the story for the following season. Saturday at 3pm Eastern, ESPN2.

USA

Isaiah Briscoe - 6-3 200 - Kentucky
Jaylen Brown - 6-6 200 - probably Kentucky
Jalen Brunson - 6-1 180 - Villanova
Henry Ellenson - 6-9 250 - Marquette
Brandon Ingram - 6-9 185 - probably North Carolina
Chase Jeter - 6-8 195 - Duke
Luke Kennard - 6-5 180 - Duke
Malik Newman - 6-4 185 - probably Kentucky
Ivan Rabb - 6-8 191 - probably California
Caleb Swanigan - 6-9 270 - probably California or Michigan State
Alonzo Trier - 6-3 185 - Arizona
Stephen Zimmerman - 7-0 230 - probably UNLV or Arizona

World

Nedim Buza - 6-8 - Bosnia & Herzegovina - probably NBA
Cheick Diallo - 6-9 - Mali - probably Kansas
Skal Labissiere - 6-11 - Haiti - Kentucky
Thon Maker - 7-0 - Australia - probably overseas
Jamal Murray - 6-5 - Canada - probably Oregon
Federico Mussini - 6-3 - Italy - probably NBA
George de Paula - 6-3 - Brazil - probably NBA
Stefan Peno - 6-5 - Serbia - probably NBA
Zhou Qi - 7-2 - China - probably NBA
Ben Simmons - 6-9 - Australia - LSU
Tai Wynyard - 6-10 - New Zealand - Kentucky

I'm clearly a genius. The NBA should just hire me as a scout.

rome8180 said:
I actually think Grayson might be the next guy Coach K really bonds with, for some reason. No similarities to TT, just something in his demeanor. I can't imagine him ever having a bad attitude (this is based entirely on conjecture).

I did have to lol at myself for complimenting Okafor's defense though.

Nah. Oak looked nimble as hell when he got isoed on Mudiay. No one that big/coordinated with footwork as good as he has should be as bad as he was this year. I suspect he'll get a good deal better.

I thought he did get better, especially toward the end of the year.

He certainly challenged more inside. And still managed to avoid fouling out of any game.

Remember how worried we were that he was going to constantly be sitting with fouls? Other than the final I can't remember that happening for any real length of time all year. That should be taken into account when he is compared to KAT.

Jason Tatum (No. 2), Duke Blue Devils
Tatum took a step forward during his senior season, becoming a knockdown 3-point shooter while maintaining his mid-range and mid-post game. If Duke decides to go small, we could see some Tatum at the four -- but with Amile Jefferson likely getting a redshirt, Tatum will slot in at the small forward spot. He and Luke Kennard will be a dangerous duo.

McDAA scouting. Hopefully it makes SMTTEM feel less inclined to imagine Tatum taking 4-6 jabari midrange jumpers per game.

Pretty cool that these disgusting games that hardly resemble basketball have been solid indicators of how good the players actually will be as freshmen. Tyus, Winslow and Okafor all looked great. Jeter looked extremely bad, but we tried to justify it in our minds, as homers. Kennard looked like a potentially great scorer. Thornton wasn't in these, but every video of him from high school was horrible. Ingram may have been the exception in looking bad, but that was probably due to him not caring.

if we're talking about the McD's game, I thought Ingram was pretty good in that. I thought he and Alonzo Trier were the only players worth a damn from that game. Indeed, they will prove to be the best freshman and the best junior/senior from that class.

Not good shooting for Tatum, but he shot more FTs than anyone else and hit all of them. Just got to cut out those iso midrange shots. Probably asking too much, since so much of his game is predicated on that.

I was only able to watch 5 minutes of the replay before I fell asleep, but I laughed for like 3 minutes after watching Lonzo Ball take his first 3 pt shot. NOD mentioned this somewhere but it really is one of the worst jumpers ever. His 36% 3pt% on Maxpreps is dubious.

The Nike Hoop Summit remains the best game to watch for insight on how next season will go. Saturday, April 9, 3pm ET, ESPN2. All the good McDonald's players plus a bunch of 1st round internationals and the best prospect in the world, DeAndre Ayton.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom