Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Javin DeLaurier

For some reason, that highlight infuriates me.
Because he caught a pass?
It's more than that.

1. On his run on the break, he starts to dip into the lane, but then realizes he should fade into the corner.
2. He catches a pass
3. He is ready to shoot when he catches the pass, rather than try to drive the baseline.
4. His base on his shot is way wider than what he used to do at Duke.

All this stuff illustrates one of two things. Either he listened to the coaches at Duke and they taught him terrible things, or he didn't listen to the coaches at Duke and now he is being taught good things. Either way is maddening.

I'll say that the entire time the shot is in the air it doesn't look like it's going to go in. Maybe it's because I know it's Javin, but it doesn't look super repeatable.

@farmer it's worth remembering that even a bad player can do something fluid once in a while. Once in a pickup game, I caught the ball with my back to the basket, spun, and executed a perfect hook shot, all in one fluid motion. Someone on the sidelines yelled "Dude's the man in the post!" I was most certainly not. It was a weird fluke.

If he's doing this against regular season NBA competition like Lance Thomas then I'll agree that he was held back.

@farmer it's worth remembering that even a bad player can do something fluid once in a while. Once in a pickup game, I caught the ball with my back to the basket, spun, and executed a perfect hook shot, all in one fluid motion. Someone on the sidelines yelled "Dude's the man in the post!" I was most certainly not. It was a weird fluke.

If he's doing this against regular season NBA competition like Lance Thomas then I'll agree that he was held back.

You're always trying to deny me my irrational anger.

I have no idea why Javin didn't develop into a consistent role player at Duke. Is it likely that he ignored what the coaches were asking him to do and despite that managed to become a senior captain on a national title contender under a coach who is widely regarded as the GOAT?

No, it's far more likely that he did what the coaches asked him to do.

What I'm saying is that maybe the coaches told him to do the right thing, he tried to do it, and he was just bad at it. I wouldn't take a single jumpshot as evidence otherwise.

What I'm saying is that maybe the coaches told him to do the right thing, he tried to do it, and he was just bad at it. I wouldn't take a single jumpshot as evidence otherwise.
I get what you are saying. I don't recall any evidence of a Javin sequence like that at Duke. It's not the shot that impresses me the most anyway, it's all the proper basketball things he did leading up to the shot.

He hit 1 of 8 treys as soph, and 1 of 6 as a senior. The attempts happened so relatively rarely that I can't remember how wide his base was, or even where he shot or made them from.

Also, rather unsurprisingly, the Hornets waived Javin and the other three guys that were fighting for one potential roster spot after the game.

All could be candidates for their Greensboro Swarm G-League team (as an Exhibit 10 player, Javin would get a 50k bonus for playing there, I think), but the organization still hasn't announced whether the Swarm is taking part in the G-League bubble.

@rhfarmer I do think that if K decides you're not "talented" he can pigeonhole you into a "role player" role. This probably means you don't work on certain things. It also probably crushes some players' confidence when attempting those things. This is particularly true of big men.

By contrast, Roy would have been force-feeding Javin whether it was effective or not. He probably would have improved at certain elements of offense as a result. Not that that's necessarily relevant to the NBA, since no one is paying Henson money to post up.

At this point, a coach that has his big men's best interests at heart would set them up with a shooting coach and allow them to jack jumpers regardless of the results. It's my opinion that K (and Carey himself) screwed Carey out of money by not having him take 3-5 threes a game. Most people, even scouts, don't realize that he can actually shoot a little.

By contrast, Roy would have been force-feeding Javin whether it was effective or not. He probably would have improved at certain elements of offense as a result. Not that that's necessarily relevant to the NBA, since no one is paying Henson money to post up.

At this point, a coach that has his big men's best interests at heart would set them up with a shooting coach and allow them to jack jumpers regardless of the results. It's my opinion that K (and Carey himself) screwed Carey out of money by not having him take 3-5 threes a game. Most people, even scouts, don't realize that he can actually shoot a little.
Carey, but also Carter. Carter could already shoot. I agree.

I guess this is where college is just stupid for high level prospects. Sometimes what's in the best interests of the player conflicts with what's in the best interests of the HC.

Carey could already shoot too. In his first game, he went 2-2 of on three pointers. Finished at 38%, but for a large chunk of the season he was shooting well over 40%. The volume just wasn't there. I have to think that this hurt both his draft stock and our offense.

@rhfarmer I do think that if K decides you're not "talented" he can pigeonhole you into a "role player" role. This probably means you don't work on certain things. It also probably crushes some players' confidence when attempting those things. This is particularly true of big men.

This is one of my biggest frustrations with K . And it directly contradicts other philosophically-oriented comments I've heard him make over the years, e.g. the importance of players "changing limits." Is the best way to help them do that predetermining their roles, or narrowing the scope of their roles by identifying one or two other alphas, thereby disincentivizing, to some extent, work ethic? How hard are you really going to work if your role has basically been defined as setting screens and getting garbage buckets, for example?

Last edited:
The only frustrating part to me is how long-term development of Duke bigs ever seems to include a corner three, until immediately after they leave. I guess maybe it's actually just Lance and Javin, though, and only feels like everyone for some reason.

The frustrating part about Javin is he shot threes in HS, and his form looked pretty good in highlights. Then, for four straight years at Duke, he never shoots, and can't hit the backboard when he does? And now all of a sudden he looks comfortable out there again.

It's not like K was exactly behind the times when it came to prioritizing 3PT shooting, so I don't really get why this has happened. Maybe it's just a matter of his approach breaking that certain type of confidence needed to have a shooter's mindset.

That seems like a lot to base on on Javin attempting one really wide open NBA three and hitting it. He may have improved a lot, but it really may just be the small sample size. The Hornets take a lot of threes, so if Javin had been lighting it up in practice, I'm sure he'd have gotten a bit more burn in the exhibition games.

Javin's career three-point percentage at Duke was .125, which is about 6 percent worse than Wendell Moore's career three-point percentage at this point. The two he hit both came in the last 7 minutes of 30-point blowouts, and likely, like this one were also not very closely guarded. Keep in mind we're also talking about a guy that shot .580 from the free-throw line.

Last edited:

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom