Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Mackenzie Mgbako

Apparently that Taco Bell is notorious for being absolutely terrible to customers. Saw a bunch of posts about it earlier today that were made weeks, months and years ago. They pretty much all said avoid that place, they routinely close earlier than their sign says, rude/indifferent/stoned employees. It sounds like he got caught at the wrong Taco Bell at the wrong time.

Apparently that Taco Bell is notorious for being absolutely terrible to customers. Saw a bunch of posts about it earlier today that were made weeks, months and years ago. They pretty much all said avoid that place, they routinely close earlier than their sign says, rude/indifferent/stoned employees. It sounds like he got caught at the wrong Taco Bell at the wrong time.
You're doing it wrong.

Apparently, he made the right decision and avoided the humiliation of being the most disappointing projected one and done in the history of Duke basketball.

Even though IU lost today in a 20 point shellacking, he lit up#5 UConn today to the tune of 2 points on 0-3 shooting. I hope this game doesn't damage his amazing shooting splits so far this season (35% from the field and 11% from 3).

Last edited:
He’s so atrocious it’s like the horseshoe theory of player performance where just like a top notch freshman, he also needs to go OAD and hope to get drafted on HS reputation, with this season written off as a fluke for whatever reason. Because if he comes back and still sucks, or only shows modest improvement, he’ll have no draft stock left at all.

Last edited:
Duke would be starting Proctor, Roach, Mgbako, Mitchell, Filipowski right now, completely hopeless, and Scheyer would have no great way out. Can’t hurt future recruiting.

He’s so atrocious it’s like the horseshoe theory of player performance where just like a top notch freshman, he also needs to go OAD and hope to get drafted on HS reputation, with this season written off as a fluke for whatever reason. Because if he comes back and still sucks, or only shows modest improvement, he’ll have no draft stock left at all.
He's so reminiscent of Baldwin / Bates to me in many ways.

It seems like in the 1990s and 00s the recruiting guys would most overrate guys that were athletic but didn't have a great fundamentals. Maybe it's my selective perception, but now it seems like taller guys who *can* shoot (but maybe it's only at like a 30% clip, and they're not held to the same scrutiny of how they can create their shot, create for others, play defense as a 6'4" shooter would be) that get the most inflated rankings.

Yeah, I'd say it's "tall guys who look like they can shoot and dribble". Put a few guard moves and deep threes with decent form on tape and let the George/Tatum comparisons begin, no matter how effective you are playing in actual basketball games.

I feel like the next wave is going to be "feel" guys, now that everyone is ashamed of underrating the Haliburtons and Shais of recent years. Proctor will be an interesting litmus test for that next year. HS scouting eval trends always lag NBA ones by a few years, though.

Weren't Baldwin's high school shooting numbers actually good though? It's tough to find much, but I did find an article which said he shot 43% in his junior year. Couldn't find anything from his senior season.

I think with him and Bates there was reason to think that their skills would translate. Bates had some huge scoring games on the national stage against elite competition. I really don't think the Mgbako comparison is apt. I think the lesson with Bates is more about deciding someone is the next Durant too early. Some players peak as sophomores in high school. Some peak much later.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom