Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Movies

So Amazon added to their trophy collection? Nice.

A few years ago, I remember reading a comment from a Netflix executive, in response to a question about whether the company was concerned that Amazon was doing their own original content: We're not worried about competing with a grocery store.

After that I became a herald for Amazon original content. Fuck that guy.

My Biggest Disappointments of 2016-2017:

Prince died

Trump became President

Duke basketball

TD-F didn't do an Oscars chat

So the WSJ news alert I received this morning, which is how I get my entertainment news, indicates that some crazy stuff went down last night.

deepdarkblue said:
ESPN won an Oscar, too! :P

I had figured that AMPAS would use the Best Picture award as a way to send a middle finger to the Administration by selecting a movie about blacks, women, and science as the winner. Of all the nominees, I thought that Hidden Figures was the best, anyway. As it turns out, we had the movie about blacks, addicts, the ghetto, and homosexuality winning, with the Muslim actor also getting the nod for Supporting Actor.

Close enough.

You think that had anything to do with the current administration? It was all about the backlash to last year's awards.

physicsfactor said:
You think that had anything to do with the current administration? It was all about the backlash to last year's awards.
I believe that neither position was mutually exclusive.

dkst0426 said:
deepdarkblue said:
ESPN won an Oscar, too! :P

I had figured that AMPAS would use the Best Picture award as a way to send a middle finger to the Administration by selecting a movie about blacks, women, and science as the winner. Of all the nominees, I thought that Hidden Figures was the best, anyway. As it turns out, we had the movie about blacks, addicts, the ghetto, and homosexuality winning, with the Muslim actor also getting the nod for Supporting Actor.

Close enough.

The more internal checklists upper middle class white people can can check off, the better.

DurhamSon said:
The more internal checklists upper middle class white people can can check off, the better.
All before gawking at tourists as they walk through the arena courtesy of a Kimmel prank?

Logan was emotionally draining. I wonder if the girl gets Oscar attention. It's bullshit that
one character who had no introduction or history in the movies got to kill off the two most beloved Marvel characters, though.

Logan was spectacular. I'm so glad I knew nothing of the plot and only watched the trailer once to know I wanted to see it. Just an amazing film regardless of their being superheroes in it.

Get Out met the hype. the way it transfers from a societal horror commentary to something more hollywood in nature is pretty flawless.

New "Alien" movie looks good but I will probably not see it in theaters for fear of shitting myself while watching it.

rome8180 said:
I've seen around 60 movies this year. Of the movies I've seen, Nocturnal Animals was my favorite. I may be saying that because I just came out of the theater, but wow.

It's not without flaws, and I could see some arguing that the framing narrative (a domestic drama) just slows down the embedded narrative (which is essentially a thriller). But there is all kinds of subtle interplay that I think will reward multiple viewings. It's not going to be a popular movie with audiences; it's challenging, and a large portion of it is about the impulses and processes of making art. Also, the opening credits are very graphic in a way I've never seen in a Hollywood movie. I saw two people walk out. It's too bad because they missed a masterpiece. Or maybe they wouldn't have liked it anyway.

Just watched. The opening credits were wild. Shannon was great.

I watched a movie on Netflix called Knights of Badassdom. I absolutely loved it. Hilarious horror comedy about metalheads and LARPers. Can't believe I hadn't heard of it. The cast is incredible: Steve Zahn, Peter Dinklage, the guy who plays Jason in True Blood, Josh Malina from Sports Night and the West Wing, Summer Glau from Firefly, Abed from Community, Brian Posehn from being hilarious, and a bunch of others.

Also, I should stop taking Netflix ratings so seriously. They got this one really, really wrong for me. Thought I would hate it. To me it was so much better than Shaun of the Dead, or This Is the End, or anything in that vein.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom