Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Movies

I've never been remotely interested in Godzilla, but this looks quite good. The CGI is insane, the cinematography looks great, and the movie seems to be grounded in actual characters with real stakes. I love how scaly the monster looks. It's way more palpable than previous Godzillas.

Update. This was fantastic. Highly recommend. It's more a story about survivor's guilt, the aftermath of WWII, love, and redemption than it is about a big lizard. But there's plenty of monster smashing stuff if that's what you're in it for.

I've never been remotely interested in Godzilla, but this looks quite good. The CGI is insane, the cinematography looks great, and the movie seems to be grounded in actual characters with real stakes. I love how scaly the monster looks. It's way more palpable than previous Godzillas.

Update. This was fantastic. Highly recommend. It's more a story about survivor's guilt, the aftermath of WWII, love, and redemption than it is about a big lizard. But there's plenty of monster smashing stuff if that's what you're in it for.

Is the entire film in subtitles? If so, I'll watch it when it comes out on streaming only because I can weirdly seem to focus better on subtitled movies at home versus at a movie theater. I don't know why that is for me but it's always been the case.

Is the entire film in subtitles? If so, I'll watch it when it comes out on streaming only because I can weirdly seem to focus better on subtitled movies at home versus at a movie theater. I don't know why that is for me but it's always been the case.

Yes, it is. Except for one 30-second section in English.

Unfortunately, at my theater the screen was a little out of focus. This made the subtitles sort of blurry. This is the second time I've experienced this at AMC.

The fact that it's a Japanese movie is part of what makes it great. The Godzilla story just makes more sense when set in Japan, since it acts as a metaphor for the consequences of nuclear war. And in this particular case, the story played heavily off the Japanese idea of the "honorable death" and the idea that as a Japanese soldier in WWII you were supposed to sacrifice yourself without question for the good of the country.

I do hope that a lot of people see it in the theater because it's clearly intended to have a sequel. When I went, the theater was empty, but it was also Sunday night at 10pm in the middle of a torrential downpour.

In contrast, I watched one of the worst movies I've ever seen last night. Fool's Paradise. It was Charlie Day's directorial debut, also starred him, and had a crazy stacked cast, so I wanted to like it, and just kind of kept going.

It was like the logic/realism/pacing of a Wes Anderson movie without the charm that makes any of it work. Or a parody that wasn't really parodying anything identifiable. I kept waiting for there to be some kind of point to it, or "the interesting thing" to happen, and then it just kind of ended.

I was not surprised when I looked it up halfway through and saw it was at18% on RT.

I finally got around to watching Killers of the Flower Moon last night. It was clearly a well made and well performed movie, but it never really grabbed me. Which unfortunately, you really ending up feeling with a three and a half hour run time.

Maybe I'll have better luck with Fool's Paradise.

Two very highly regarded movies I watched recently and disliked:

1. The Holdovers (Paul Giamatti, Alexander Payne)

I think I’m incapable of liking Paul Giamatti stuff. Didn’t like Sideways as much as I should’ve, never got into Billions despite it being a perfect story for me. This movie felt meaningless to me. I can’t waste my time on art anymore.

2. Mission Impossible 7

Really don’t know how this is 96%. Maybe it was because I watched it high. I thought it was trying to be a B-movie at various points. There’s a scene where Rebecca Ferguson is sword fighting some villain guy, and I’m just laughing out loud at how stupid it is.

The whole MI series is amiss for me. Some of the coolest stunt work in film today but the plotlines seem like complete nonsense. I saw 7 twice in theaters and I still have so many questions about how literally all of it works.

The whole MI series is amiss for me. Some of the coolest stunt work in film today but the plotlines seem like complete nonsense. I saw 7 twice in theaters and I still have so many questions about how literally all of it works.
I watched the first six MI movies in two days during the pandemic. I literally felt like I'd been sexually assaulted. The way SMMTEM feels about "art" is the way I feel about content-free "entertainment" like MI. I don't find it entertaining to have my intelligence insulted for two hours. It's the opposite, in fact. I feel mentally raped by movies like that. Like, who on Earth can get invested in something where there's no danger of the hero dying and where every scene defies the laws of physics?

It's not like I'm some snob who hates action movies either. I adore the first three Bourne movies. I've also watched First Blood and Die Hard dozens of times each. Those movies aren't dumb cartoons.

Feel the same way about almost everything Marvel has done over the last decade+. It just makes me sad and depressed for humanity that people accept this as worth their time and money. It's so blatantly taking a metaphorical shit on the audience.

It’s tricky to thread the needle with action movies. The graph with entertainment level on the y-axis and [how seriously the action movie takes itself/how realistic it tries to be] on the x-axis would look like a U for me. Toward the right is something like The Dark Knight or Interstellar - Nolan tried very hard and succeeded in instilling a sense that this stuff could actually happen. Toward the left is something like John Wick or Return of the King - there is no chance any of this could ever happen and the people involved didn’t try to convince us it could. In the middle is a large wasteland of action movies that somewhat try to be realistic and fail, like Tenet to most people or all the high budget Netflix action movies over the past several years.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom