Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Movies

The first two Toby Maguire Spider-Man movies are good.

when was the last time a marvel adjacent movie had a scene as good as the bone saw cage fight scene from spider-man 2002?

the bar is hilariously low for the genre. zero stakes soy humor at every turn and lowest common denominator film making for 20 years.
Is it Spider-Man 2 that has Doctor Octopus? That scene where his tentacles destroy the lab and kill a bunch of doctors is something I always remember when I think of those movies. The camerawork in that scene is extraordinary and actually FEELS like a comic book. That's something that's missing from the Marvel movies, and it's one reason why I also loved the Spider-Verse movies. Granted, those movies have the luxury of being animated so they can do a lot more more easily. Still, I think it's clear that Sam Raimi was actually a huge comic book fan rather than someone just willing to shoot in the Marvel factory style.

Raimi's work in Multiverse of Madness was really strong but it was a terrible script that worked in a ton of fan service bullshit.

All the horror scenes he got to do with Elizabeth Olsen are the closest the MCU has ever gotten to Cinema.

Glad you brought up the fan service. That's another pet peeve of mine. Marvel did plenty of that. They used the multiverse as excuse to bring in characters from earlier popular projects. But it extends beyond Marvel and is something that makes so many modern blockbusters terrible.

Do a reboot, fine. But you don't need to bring in a dozen callbacks to the earlier films. Make a new fucking story.

That's why I hate The Force Awakens more than other, clearly worse, Star Wars movies. It's just so painfully safe and formulaic. It rehashes a dozen beats from the first three movies. It brings back characters who were better left in an idealized past. It introduces a few cool new concepts but then doesn't do much with them. I hate commercially safe movies more than I hate a messy failure.

I'm desperate to see Dune II, but every showing at the theaters I like has only seats available in the front row. I don't like being that close to the screen.

I'm desperate to see Dune II, but every showing at the theaters I like has only seats available in the front row. I don't like being that close to the screen.
I've seen it twice now. Even better on a second viewing.
I wish I had more time during the middle of the day. Cheaper tickets and more open seats. I think I just have to bite the bullet and go to a theater I like less.

On the plus side, this is a direct result of the movie being a big hit.

Saw it tonight at an IMAX theater. Super not disappointing even though we were so close to a speaker I had ringing in my ears for an hour afterwards. Acting was better across the board relative to part one and the cinematography was even better. I'll probably try to watch again in regular theater before 8-10 viewings once it is widely distributed. The ending suggests, if not demands, that the next one comes out in 18-24 months. What an unbelievable job Villanueve has done.

Kind of hoping he actually does four movies and then a prestige TV show. I know there's already a Bene Gesserit show planned, but to my understanding that's a prequel or maybe a side story.

With Marvel and Disney in the tank, maybe the Dune Cinematic Universe can be the new big thing.

Best Picture locked up in March.

One of the grandest films I've seen put to screen. Denis' quotes about hating dialogue make so much sense after seeing the way he shot things like worm riding. Easy 9/10 for me. I really hope he gets a chance to continue this saga.

I watched a clip with Denis on The Late Show where he all but confirms that he's moving forward with Messiah. Bless the Maker.

Going on Tuesday. AMC has discounts for members on Tuesdays, so the IMAX price was the same as a regular ticket. Beyond excited.

I'm seeing it for a third time in IMAX at 10:30 tomorrow morning.

I was watching Argylle in the theater right next to the IMAX screen last night and kept hearing the rumbling of the score and wishing I was there instead.

I was in awe of Anya Taylor Joy being in this, having heard nothing about it beforehand. I think she’s the only one they could cast in that star of stars spot, with the intention to make everyone immediately recognize that more story is coming and she will be a central figure. Chalamet is a beautiful man and all the women in the movie are as well, so there aren’t many actresses who can so clearly eclipse them.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom