Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Music

Siamese Dream has my favorite guitar sounds of all time. Speaking of Foo Fighters, there's a video with the audio engineer who did "My Hero." The guitar sounds on that are insane. I'll try to find in a bit.

Discovered a documentary series called Classic Albums. They're about one hour long. A lot are included with your Prime membership. I'm watching the Dark Side of the Moon one right now. Going to watch the one on Steely Dan's Aja next.

Seeing Richard Wright talking about chord choices or Alan Parsons behind the mixing board talking about vocal harmonies from "Breathe" is very inspiring.

Also, had the great fortune of seeing Steely Dan live on Maui at like a HS football field. Wooden bleachers and all.

I didn't think I could appreciate Dark Side of the Moon more. But hearing the isolated tracks, or listening to a 70-year-old Roger Waters play the songs on acoustic guitar, really puts into perspective the quality of the performances and the songwriting.

Just watched an episode on Peter Gabriel's So. What an incredible album. Lyrics about the Great Depression and Anne Sexton and weird dreams he had. Tony Levin on bass. Kate Bush doing vocals on a track. Jamaican and Brazilian percussion. African singers. Etc., etc.

Last edited:
Just watched an episode on Peter Gabriel's So. What an incredible album. Lyrics about the Great Depression and Anne Sexton and weird dreams he had. Tony Levin on bass. Kate Bush doing vocals on a track. Jamaican and Brazilian percussion. African singers. Etc., etc.
Funny how the pop hits are the worst songs on this album. Glad you're on the PG train.

ETA Peter Gabriel took the Drummers of Ekome on tour for the Security tour. 3 years later, Paul Simon is credited with bringing attention to African musicians.

I'm not sure which are the pop hits. I assume "In Your Eyes" and "Sledgehammer." I like both, especially Sledgehammer (which has one of the coolest bass and drum combinations of all time).

But my favorites are "Red Rain" and "Mercy Street." The bass line in "Don't Give Up" is another incredible one.

I'm not sure which are the pop hits. I assume "In Your Eyes" and "Sledgehammer." I like both, especially Sledgehammer (which has one of the coolest bass and drum combinations of all time).

But my favorites are "Red Rain" and "Mercy Street." The bass line in "Don't Give Up" is another incredible one.
I meant Big Time and Sledgehammer. In Your Eyes only got airtime after the scene in the movie where what's his name holds up the boogie box.

Don't get me wrong, the "hits" were great songs, especially Sledgehammer, but the rest of the album is just undeniably great. His run of PG 3, Security, Plays Live and So is one of the best 4 album runs of any artist ever, IMO.

Also, @rome8180 if you like Don't Give Up, you MUST listen to Hounds of Love by Kate Bush from start to finish. It's a stunning album.
Big Kate Bush fan. Own Never for Ever and Hounds of Love on vinyl.

Got into her through my love for Joanna Newsom. You can see a pretty clear chain of influence there.

Also, @rome8180 if you like Don't Give Up, you MUST listen to Hounds of Love by Kate Bush from start to finish. It's a stunning album.
Big Kate Bush fan. Own Never for Ever and Hounds of Love on vinyl.

Got into her through my love for Joanna Newsom. You can see a pretty clear chain of influence there.
She also sings on the underground hit Games Without Frontiers on PG 3. I don't know Joanna Newsome.

Gabriel originally wanted Dolly Parton for "Don't Give Up." I wish we'd gotten both versions. Since the song was inspired by photos of the Dust Bowl migrants in the US, it would have been interesting/appropriate to have an American country singer on the track.

Gabriel originally wanted Dolly Parton for "Don't Give Up." I wish we'd gotten both versions. Since the song was inspired by photos of the Dust Bowl migrants in the US, it would have been interesting/appropriate to have an American country singer on the track.
What a cool tidbit. What's the show again?

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom