Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

News Thread

Hardly anyone pays attention to their own local politics and it's pretty fucking scary that shit like this is going on everywhere and also that a lot of what happens at the state and national level is predicated on the decisions of local elected officials.
Here's what the New Hanover County GOP school board members snuck in last night-

Displays in classrooms, school buildings, school grounds and buses are now prohibited in New Hanover County schools unless representing the United States, North Carolina, New Hanover County, the individual school or mascot, and district curricula.

The policy change was a surprise to some board members and the public when board member Pat Bradford motioned to add it to the agenda; the measure was not discussed at the board’s agenda review last week.

According to Bradford, the policy changes are needed because of “discord” across the country, including when pro-Palestinian protestors removed the American flag on UNC-Chapel Hill’s campus last week.

“It’s just simply a deterrent because of what’s going on in the climate right now with so many people being so divisive — and to be honest, so much anti-American sentiment in our country and in our state,” Bradford said.

“Our schools don’t need to be a place of activism,” Barnhart said

NHCS board enacts new ban that raises First Amendment concerns

Hardly anyone pays attention to their own local politics and it's pretty fucking scary that shit like this is going on everywhere and also that a lot of what happens at the state and national level is predicated on the decisions of local elected officials.
Here's what the New Hanover County GOP school board members snuck in last night-

Displays in classrooms, school buildings, school grounds and buses are now prohibited in New Hanover County schools unless representing the United States, North Carolina, New Hanover County, the individual school or mascot, and district curricula.

The policy change was a surprise to some board members and the public when board member Pat Bradford motioned to add it to the agenda; the measure was not discussed at the board’s agenda review last week.

According to Bradford, the policy changes are needed because of “discord” across the country, including when pro-Palestinian protestors removed the American flag on UNC-Chapel Hill’s campus last week.

“It’s just simply a deterrent because of what’s going on in the climate right now with so many people being so divisive — and to be honest, so much anti-American sentiment in our country and in our state,” Bradford said.

That's so dumb. My wife and I have looked into moving back to NHC (lived there 2005 - 2017), but the local politics are so bad, and now we have a one year old so we have to think about his school options.

That's so dumb. My wife and I have looked into moving back to NHC (lived there 2005 - 2017), but the local politics are so bad, and now we have a one year old so we have to think about his school options.
Aside from the wacky folks controlling the school board, the quality of life here has definitely declined in the last couple of decades. It's what happens when real estate developers and real estate agents make up the majority of your elected officials forever.

Aside from the wacky folks controlling the school board, the quality of life here has definitely declined in the last couple of decades. It's what happens when real estate developers and real estate agents make up the majority of your elected officials forever.
Reading a book about late 70s/early 80s San Francisco...among many other things, Dianne Feinstein did her part to ensure the interests of developers/landlords took precedent over other community interests, with extreme consequence to marginalized communities.

Of course Dianne was one of the developers/landlords.

It’s not nearly as bad as camping outside instead of studying, but I’ve been waiting for Duke kids to make asses of themselves and this is pretty good. “I’m too lazy to effect any real change, so I’m going to walk out of my own graduation when a Jewish guy starts talking.”

Makes me feel so old that these graduates were probably in diapers when Duke hosted the Palestinian Solidarity Movement conference.

you couldn't make a stronger statement about equality than a national championship-caliber Duke football team

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom