Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Randomopolis

I like it. Lately I have been using it instead of rice in Thai curries. I also eat it with some sort of sauteed greens (collards, spinach) and slices of steak. Douse the whole thing is some simple sauce, usually involving teriyaki.

physicsfactor said:
You have to throw a bunch of other shit in there with it to make it taste good.

Or rather, you mix it in with a bunch of shit that tastes good in an effort to hide it's boiled birdseed taste? This is as I suspected.

rome8180 said:
I like it. Lately I have been using it instead of rice in Thai curries. I also eat it with some sort of sauteed greens (collards, spinach) and slices of steak. Douse the whole thing is some simple sauce, usually involving teriyaki.

I like rice. Lately I've been using the sprouted kind. Also, a mix of black, brown and wild. But I'm also trying to cut carbs, so I've been trying various quinoa recipes.

I put quinoa on the same level as grits, a place no food wants to be.

Grits with butter is fine for me, it's even better with bacon and cheddar cheese. The nice thing about that meal is that the fat content can get high enough where, scientifically, the excess fat can serve as a lubricant for your arterial walls and become very healthy.

I love wild rice, brown rice, etc. I would never choose white rice if I have a choice.

Another good way to eat quinoa is sort of as a "Mexican bowl." You can either put some sort of seasoned meat (chicken, pork, etc.) with avocado and pico de gallo, or you can do the same thing with a yolky fried egg in place of the meat. Really any other thing you would put in a burrito or taco can be added too -- beans, cheese, etc.

The other solution, since I doubt the taste is suddenly going to grow on you, is just to keep eating rice but eat less of it with each dish.

rome8180 said:
The other solution, since I doubt the taste is suddenly going to grow on you, is just to keep eating rice but eat less of it with each dish.

My chickens really appreciated the last batch of quinoa I cooked (apparently) for them.

I did Keto diet for four months and it works great but it's definitely not something I want to do as a lifestyle. I think reduced carbs is the best way for me to maintain, though.

deepdarkblue said:
rome8180 said:

My chickens really appreciated the last batch of quinoa I cooked (apparently) for them.

I did Keto diet for four months and it works great but it's definitely not something I want to do as a lifestyle. I think reduced carbs is the best way for me to maintain, though.

I've done Keto a few times. It's pretty amazing, but I'm too lazy to stick to any diet regardless of how great it is. I've actually been listening to Sam Harris's latest podcast with some guy who is talking about the benefits of a keto-esque diet and all of the pseudo-science surrounding nutrition.

I prefer rice to quinoa, but the biggest thing you can do to like quinoa is experiment with different types of quinoa. If you are trying to get rid of sugar/carbs, don't starve yourself, just nix the extra sugar in your latte, and have a black americano or something. Most people dump about 800 calories into themselves with a starbuck's visit.

Most of you guys are young, there's no reason to put yourself in ketosis. A little more exercise, drop processed grains like white bread, white sugar, etc. Whole grains are great for you.

Quinoa casserole with broccoli, cheese, and chicken is something I make probably once every two weeks. Super easy, leftovers heat up well the next day. Rome's idea of the Mexican bowl is also great. Trader Joe's had a nice corn salsa mix that added to quinoa and black beans which was awesome. I'm also a fan of adding quinoa to a kale or spinach salad mix.

Anyone have a recommendation for a "business casual" shoe that doesn't kill your feet? Loafers all look stupid to me, and a shoe with laces is preferred anyway. I have several pairs of dress shoes, but they're a little more formal and aren't great to wear for 6+ hours of standing. I have large feet with skinny ankles, so that is another issue. Maybe the solution is some sort of padding? Or thicker socks?

Fairly new to the dressing up game, but I am working in a private cafe serving executives and stuff, so there's a dress code.

I mean, rub the skin off the back of my ankles mostly. That's the biggest issue right now.

When I wear nice shoes I wear normal socks underneath dress socks. It protects your heel/ankle area. It's obnoxious but the best solution I've come up with.
'v

Yes, I was thinking wool socks might be the best immediate answer. Might suck in the summer though, but I'll be inside an air-conditioned building. But also, looking down the road, this is not a problem with tennis shoes because the back of the ankle has padding. Wondered if I could get something with a bit more padding that still looked good. I was also thinking a boot might help because the ankle would come up higher.

I wear daily dress shoes that are about 5 sizes too big. Serious. Somehow this works for me. Very, very comfortable.I haven't found a solution to getting my achilles skin all cut and hurt from dress shoes other than this.

For nicer shoes on rare occasions when I need to impress somebody, I just deal with it for the day.

My feet are a size 13, so it's hard to find much bigger and they would start to look like clown shoes anyway. I had to send some dress shoes back that I got last year because they were the super-pointy style and they emphasized the largeness of my feet too much.

I was talking in terms of EU sizing, which is normally in the 40s for men. If you're a US 13, I would try some 14.5s. Those should not chafe in the back or look too clownish. Also try using Dr. Scholes/other pads - not for the comfort but for the elevation that raises your achilles above the back of the shoe. You would need 14-15s anyway if you used those, since your foot wouldn't fit in the normal size.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom