Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rome's Harry Potter Live Blog

Gilderoy Lockhart is just annoying. Hopefully he doesn't something interesting besides be a narcissistic fraud.

Too much time spent on rehashing. Also too much pre-Hogwarts stuff. The Malfoy subplot has some promise, though. Anyway, everyone tells me it really starts to get awesome in the third book.

CoS is easily the worst book of the series.

Finally something happening. The cat was killed.

I thought the first book had better writing and humor. Still compelling enough that I'll keep going. All the characters are a little flat and predictable so far. No one's really done anything that surprised me like Snape or McGonagall or Hagrid did in the first book.

I guess the cat is just paralyzed. I think I'll try to finish this book tonight.

Just a heads up but what happens at the end of CoS is pretty important to Book 6 and 7. Chamber of Secrets was originally supposed to be called the Half Blood Prince but Rowling decided to put off elements until later.

Yeah, I kind of was thinking about that title in the context of this book.

It's getting a little better. Still a little too Scooby Doo/Hardy Boys for me. I assume it won't be the Malfoys who have opened The Chamber of Secrets by being the heirs to Slytherin. If it's Lockhart that just makes the structure of the book way too similar to the You-Think-It's-Snape-But-It's-Harmless-Quirrell structure of the first book. It seem's like maybe he's up to something though. Percy Weasley has also been acting weird. Not sure what that's about.

I have a completely different theory, but I will keep it quiet for now. I hope I'm right, since it would be pretty cool.

Too me, Books 1-3 felt like basically their own series compared to 4-7. That's how much the storyline/world expanded and was fleshed out in the latter half. I don't know if that was by design from the beginning or whether Rowling just grew as a writer, but it almost reminds me how much more expanded the last three seasons of breaking bad were compared to the first two.

rome8180 said:

It's getting a little better. Still a little too Scooby Doo/Hardy Boys for me. I assume it won't be the Malfoys who have opened The Chamber of Secrets by being the heirs to Slytherin. If it's Lockhart that just makes the structure of the book way too similar to the You-Think-It's-Snape-But-It's-Harmless-Quirrell structure of the first book. It seem's like maybe he's up to something though. Percy Weasley has also been acting weird. Not sure what that's about.

I have a completely different theory, but I will keep it quiet for now. I hope I'm right, since it would be pretty cool.
I'd be incredibly interested in your theory. Maybe spoiler tag it? We could assure you that no one will post any response to it whatsoever. No smileys, no "lol", nothing.

DurhamSon said:
Too me, Books 1-3 felt like basically their own series compared to 4-7. That's how much the storyline/world expanded and was fleshed out in the latter half. I don't know if that was by design from the beginning or whether Rowling just grew as a writer, but it almost reminds me how much more expanded the last three seasons of breaking bad were compared to the first two.

This is very true. The 4th book hits a turning point that is just VASTLY different (and better) than the first 3.

Books 1-3 = Barry Bonds' Pirates years
Books 4-7 = Barry Bonds' Giants years

JohaadDBC said:
rome8180 said:

I'd be incredibly interested in your theory. Maybe spoiler tag it? We could assure you that no one will post any response to it whatsoever. No smileys, no "lol", nothing.

Same here.

Bought PoA today so as not to have any gap between books. Got to give the people what they want.

I will probably finish the second book tonight and then I'll type out my theory if it still seems worth it.

I actually really like PoA. Certainly a lot better than CoS.

I've heard it's the best of the movies. Alfonso Cuaron directed it. Really good director.

Finished the second book. #dobby4eva

It got better, though the structural similarity to the first book still annoyed me. I hope every book is not 100 pages of arriving to Hogwarts, then a mysterious thing going on at the school, with the three plucky friends eventually cracking the case. I'd also get a little tired of the villain explaining everything to Harry, James-Bond-style, right before he fails to kill him.

I had a lot more thoughts, but it's hard to remember them out of the moment, and I don't want to keep stopping reading to write down something that will inevitably look stupid later.

The Tom Marvolo Riddle anagram was pretty cool. In general, I love how well she plants things for future use. One example that pops to mind is the fact that Hagrid loves taking monsters as pets. This came into play with the spiders. Another example is Harry's speaking in tongues.

Still not entirely sure I buy the explanation that Harry survived as a baby because of his mother's love. I think there something more complicated going on. I'm expecting a connection between Harry and Slytherin in some way...some sort of "Luke, I am your father" moment. At the very least I hope to see this idea of his having been scarred by the dark side, and therefore somehow susceptible to it, to keep playing out.

About to start the third book now.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom