Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Sean Obi

giphy.gif

StopThePumpFakesShav said:
deepdarkblue said:
Pantone287 said:
How can we watch video of him playing basketball, besides that crappy "under the radar" video from HS?

You can also watch some crappy Rice highlight videos. That's about all I've found, and very few of those.

Watching now. Finding them relatively easy to fap to thus far.

Just youtube? Can someone link to any extra sexy ones, perhaps?

I blew my lifetime load of highlight searching on the Rodney Hood video, I think.

Letters in last names of Duke incoming transfers. This is some sort of weird countdown to K's retirement, right?

1995: 6
2000: 5
2009: 5
2012: 4
2014: 3

He'll be this year's rumored "best player in practice!"

childress22 said:
Letters in last names of Duke incoming transfers. This is some sort of weird countdown to K's retirement, right?

1995: 6
2000: 5
2009: 5
2012: 4
2014: 3

Some guy named Ng is next.

~17:00: I've watched four possessions so far. Obi failed to alter a layup as help defender on the first, then his man scored on him the next three (including one off an offensive rebound, and one from jogging back on defense). Hairston without the panicked intensity so far.

15:50: His man just beat him for another offensive rebound, but saved it to him as he fell out of bounds. Guard draws his man and tries to bounce a pass to him on the other end, goes past his fingers out of bounds. Gets scored over again as a help defender a possession or two later.

~14:00: Scores on a nice power move off deep position after getting his first rebound (his man missed an open jumper, and he was alone for the board). Gets taken out at a TO around ~13:30, and that's all I can take for now.

From that stretch, I can conclude that he is a good offensive post player who can clear out space well and get deep position, but is also not mobile, in horrible shape, and a terrible defender. Our savior.

Okay, went back for the rest of the half.

10:00: Comes back in, gets 2nd rebound off of a FT.

8:45: Decent defense at the rim of a guard off of a PNR, forces miss. Runs floor, gets great position, makes good move, shot bounces out. Rotates late on D next time down, called for blocking foul.

8:10: Great seal on his defender, but guard shoots three instead of feeding him. Boxes out his man, but shot is an airball.

7:50: Causes steal in a PNR defense by reaching back blind, but then does not cross halfcourt for the offensive possession. Rotates well in help next time down, but guard fouls the driver.

7:30: Gets 3rd rebound off of FT, draws push while posting up on offense.

6:50: Very nice finish inside off of a dish. Below the rim, flipped it up really fast.

4:50: 4th rebound (defensive). Seals his man on other end, great hands to gather and finish a loose entry pass around his man.

3:30: Real nice assist from the high post to a cutter at the rim. Looks much more active on D now, is decently disruptive with help D, then snatches rebound #5 from a crowd with one hand. Outlet pass leads to fast break.

2:10: Nice catch, ball fake, fake right, spin left move for a right hook in the lane, all within a second or two. No hesitation or thinking. Really physical on offensive end fighting for position now, seems to be wearing down skinnier defenders and is starting to get around them for rebounding position.

1:30: Boxes out his man on 3PT miss, but a guy comes down the middle and gets an and-1 putback over him. Not really his fault, but he barely got above the rim on his jump.

So far he seems like:

1) A guy who will always 'win' the type of 'banging' collisions that happen constantly when jostling for post position on both ends. He's like a 6'8 offensive tackle, who can just wear guys down.

2) A guy who is surprisingly quick and purposeful when he gets the ball, with a surprisingly soft touch. He loves to quick-shoot his defender and flick it up at the rim a half-step before you might expect it, which makes up for his lack of ups on the offensive end. Footwork isn't flashy - seems more comfortable with a quick step or two than big drop steps and spins - but it's very light and effective. When you throw in how easily he clears out space in the post, I can see him being a guy that demands doubleteams in a couple years.

3) A guy who isn't going to play above the rim, run the floor all that well, play 40 minutes, or be very comfortable outside of 10 feet on either end. He's like a 6'8 offensive tackle in this way also. His length might let him block some shots on the way up, but he's not going to be swatting anything after the release. I'm hoping his terrible defensive footwork in general early on was just due to being a freshman.

So, maybe a potentially good-to-great post scorer, screener and rebounder on both ends, with potential issues with defense, rim protection and conditioning? Which would definitely be a valuable guy to have on your side, I'm just not sure we're going to see a double-double guy who is anchored in the starting lineup from the get-go. From my extensive viewings thus far, at least.

I don't expect anything but dominant rebounding. He proved he can do that throughout a season.

What were the stats on this game? Was it even a good performance for him?

Looks like 9 and 8 on 4-5 shooting, so decent but not great.

While he's obviously a very good rebounder, I do wonder how inflated those numbers might have been by virtue of him being the only rebounder on the team, and apparently the guy who floated in the middle of the zone. Rice's second leading rebounder was a 6'7 215 guy who averaged 3.4, and the guy after that was 5'9 165.

In the end, I have to trust two things: the stats and Coach K's record with transfers.

Looked up some of his game stats.

10 and 12 versus Texas in only 23 minutes. 3-8 from the floor is sort of mediocre, but a solid 4-5 from the line. And considering the whole team only scored 44 pts, that offensive production is not bad. 12 rebounds in a little over half a game is absolutely monstrous considering Texas's frontline.

Against Harvard he was less impressive, shooting 2-7 for 6 pts and grabbing 8 boards in 25 minutes. Still good rebounding, but not as dominant.

They really didn't play anyone else good. He had a 14 and 12 game against ECU on 7-8 shooting, so at least we know he'll look good on the November part of our schedule.

I saw someone on another board who'd watched a bunch of RIce highlights compare him to Zoubek. Not good lateral quickness, but takes up space, plays hard, and has good rebounding instincts. He's obviously shorter than Zoubs, but massive, and with a solid wingspan. And, his level of play, even just looking at the two games Rome mentioned above, is far above Zoubs in his first two years. Great to have him aboard -- he'll definitely have a role to fill as soon as he's eligible.

rome8180 said:
Looked up some of his game stats.

10 and 12 versus Texas in only 23 minutes. 3-8 from the floor is sort of mediocre, but a solid 4-5 from the line. And considering the whole team only scored 44 pts, that offensive production is not bad. 12 rebounds in a little over half a game is absolutely monstrous considering Texas's frontline.

Against Harvard he was less impressive, shooting 2-7 for 6 pts and grabbing 8 boards in 25 minutes. Still good rebounding, but not as dominant.

They really didn't play anyone else good. He had a 14 and 12 game against ECU on 7-8 shooting, so at least we know he'll look good on the November part of our schedule.

Texas has a big front line, so that 10 and 12 is encouraging.

He will only need to rebound and defend. As a rebounder, I trust the numbers. As a defender, it takes a lot of terribleness to not add value as a big guy. The comparison isn't between him and other big defenders; it's between him and whatever undersized Josh Hairston type K would be forced to play significant minutes without him. Duke should have at least 3 playable huge guys on every team. Obi fills one of those 3 difficult to fill spots for 3 seasons after Okafor.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom