Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Struggling Freshman Alex Poythress

Maxwel

Role Player
"It was a mistake," Calipari said of putting Poythress on Turner.

T'll bet that hurt.

I am surprised that Alex has been having such a hard time. Was really impressed with him in the Duke game. Seemed to have a diverse skill set

8 assists, 39 turnovers. I realize he's not a point guard, but you won't find a lot of major basketball players with numbers like that.

Amazing that he can struggle so much as a freshman but he'll still be a high to mid 1st round pick. Compare to the Roy Williams/James McAdoo draft strategy. Either that, or he'd actually consider coming back, in which case I can't see Wiggins or Randle going to UK at all. Too crowded with Poythress, Wiltjer, Young already there next year.

I guess this season is fairly strong evidence that last year was a fluke for Calipari's way of doing things. Next year he'll have a lot of talent, but without Wiggins, he doesn't have anything close to UK 2012 talent. The Harrisons combined aren't going to be as valuable over replacements than Anthony Davis was in 2012. Young may turn out better than T.Jones, but as a freshman, he shouldn't be as good as T.Jones was as a sophomore. There's no Doron Lamb caliber sophomore next year. Calipari likely needed the lockout and Anthony Davis to make his way work.

His 2012 team was perfectly constructed with positions and skills that complimented each other. His 2014 squad is missing a true post presence and rebounding and, depending on who stays, leadership and depth.

My guess is they are much closer to the Wall-Cousins team.

Forgot about Dakari, still, I dont rate him as highly as others.

I saw the 2010 Wall-Cousins team lose to WVU in the Elite 8 in Syracuse. Cousins was (is?) a headcase...he should have had a monster game against WVU. I suspect UK will lose both centres (noel + 7 footer) this year?

If cal stays at UK for several years, his average team will be much closer to the 2010 or 2011 team than the 2012 team. With all the hype he gets and the pitch he makes, even the top 30ish recruits get NBA attention and try to go pro asap. Guys like Orton and stein get first round looks for nothing. Even guys like wiltjer and m. Lee don't seem likely to stay 4 years if the can avoid it. Guys like miller, Patterson, etc don't appear out of thin air, and he will have a hard time keeping guys like that in school for 3-4 years.

Getting Jones back from the lockout was huge, and I think he (and other coaches) knew what they were doing when they encouraged guys like him to come back. His draft stock slipped as a sophomore.

Davis had the freak talent, and mkg the intangibles you rarely get with freshmen. If cal stays 7-8 more years, I think he might win 1-2, but he isn't going to go on a sabanesque run, IMO.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom