Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

I wonder if the true, Plan A version of "switch everything" is here to stay. I like it, if so, if for no other reason than ball screens being the bane of our existence this year again. Will be interesting to see if it holds up against better spread-and-drive teams, though.

I thought Bolden was excellent today defending guards on switches. They went after him pretty often, and he seemed to consistently force bad misses. Seems like the simplicity of switching everything makes him more confident defending in space, even if it creates mismatches against him.

Yeah, your boy Quezy has looked like a completely different person lately. He's fully engaged, smiling, and hasn't looked like a tourist who blundered onto the court like something in a Borat skit. I like this guy.

On the TDD pod, Chris Bunn brought up the numbers against Bolden in isolation. I forget the exact numbers, but they were super impressive (something like 3/20). This matches the eye test, for me anyway. People should quit trying to go at him and accept the fact that he's a really good defender. It's like they didn't do any scouting and just picked the biggest guy on the floor to attack.

I feel like they'd have better luck attacking Cam, tbh.

Last night was generally great and exactly what you want to see on the road. Beat the hell out of them early and make the environment a non factor. Get out to a 20ish point lead by halftime and don’t let them back in.

If there’s one complaint it’s that we gave up over 40% OR to a team that’s not even great at it. Turned an excellent defensive effort into a good one. But, as is being discussed above, Duke contested shots so well. Especially with Bolden on the floor, there’s always going to be a balance that needs to be struck between blocking/altering shots and defensive rebounding. Right now we’re leaning a lot on the former at the expense of the latter. Not sure that’s bad but would be interesting to see how the efficiency numbers stack up on defense with and without Bolden on the floor.

I'm just a random internet idiot, and I know all those offensive rebounds hurt our defensive numbers last night, but I feel like this team is better off continuing to go aggressively for blocks/tightly contested shots. We're not really being called for fouls at an excessive rate (knock on wood), and I have to think the psychological toll of having your shit repeatedly swatted is more demoralizing over the course of a game than a few more defensive rebounds would be.

Of course, the effectiveness of this philosophy is muted against the more efficient and skillful teams we will face going forward. But against the likes of ND, I certainly think the shot blocking was influencing their shot selection in a positive (for Duke) way.

Last edited:
I think Coach K and the Duke coaching staff are having a very good season. Obviously the talent is off of the charts but I feel there are a lot of coaches who would have this team playing at a lesser level than Duke, or potentially even struggling to work things out together.

Just my opinion but I am disregarding most complaints about the coaching this year as extreme nit picking. The defense is definitely elite with Jones in the line-up, and the offense scores against everyone who matters.

K has 4 freshmen starting and has pretty comfortably turned them into the best team in the country. Not a bad job from the guy.

^goes to show you how much more complex the game is and how much of a mastermind K is at scheming.

The extra day of preparation time makes no difference to a K-coached team. Brad Stevens' teams did significantly better with an extra day. Lamont Paris (Chattanooga) works miracles in his extra day of coaching. Barret Peery (Portland State) makes his team worse the more he coaches them.

That press feels like a nice little tactical nuclear warhead we can unleash for spurts. I don't think there's a guard who isn't already in the NBA in this country who could execute against it right away.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom