Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NBA Draft Discussion

Next year's UVA team will resemble their 2020 squad a lot, IMO. Typical great defense that befuddles every ACC team other than Duke, but no offense to speak of. It really feels like Bennett had his peak from 2014-19, where he managed to find one diamond in the rough after another and keep them in school for 3-4 years, and only got one fluke title with numerous embarrassing early exits out of it.

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F870394fb878b47798b4ef540c79425ce%2F0x0.jpg

The Connaughton numbers annoy me every time I see them. He's a decent enough athlete, but no one in reality would believe he and Stanley have the same hops.

I wish they had a way of making people actually fully extend in the standing reach measurement, because verticals are sort of meaningless otherwise.

Next year's UVA team will resemble their 2020 squad a lot, IMO. Typical great defense that befuddles every ACC team other than Duke, but no offense to speak of. It really feels like Bennett had his peak from 2014-19, where he managed to find one diamond in the rough after another and keep them in school for 3-4 years, and only got one fluke title with numerous embarrassing early exits out of it.

It's funny how title teams always boil down to NBA talent, in retrospect. Their title team didn't seem loaded with pros at the time, but every starter other than Salt was still on an active NBA roster at the end of this season (and they were three juniors and a sophomore at the time). Could wind up with a fifth if Huff sticks.

He puts Cade at #1 and then proceeds to bash him for five paragraphs. He also calls him a "big wing." He's a PG, you douchebucket. Plus, you spend all of his space questioning his skills and then put Barnes at #3. Makes sense.

cf65182b8ae8a977950b7b70bb8b1714_crop_exact.jpg

No surprise that M. Hurt has one of the smallest Ape Indexes in the combine, though not quite as small as Plumlee's +0 or JJ's negative index.

I've actually found Jonathan Wasserman at Bleacher Report to have the best mock drafts in recent years.

A few things:

1) I don't get the Franz Wagner hype

2) If New Orleans really does draft Keon Johnson, who shot 27% from three, David Griffin should be taken out back and shot.

3) Jalen Johnson's range in these drafts varies wildly. I've seen him in the 20s and I've seen him as high as #6. I tend to think he'll still go lottery. Another player New Orleans better not take.

Last edited:
Sam Vecenie at The Athletic has New Orleans drafting Wagner. That would piss me off with Moses Moody still on the board. I'd also be okay with NO reaching a bit for Trey Murphy or Tre Mann. In particular, I feel like Murphy is being undervalued as an elite shooting two-way player. He shot 50/43/93 and is 6'9". He learned defense under Tony Bennett.

Memphis will probably draft Murphy at #18. Vecenie has them drafting Ziaire Williams, but they don't usually make that kind of reach. They like to draft players who have already demonstrated they're good at basketball.

When you look at the list of players on the max vert list, and then you think about the lack of athleticism of so many great players, I have to wonder how this could influence someone at all. Are we really still doing this?

It's also such a narrow way to define athleticism to begin with.

From Givony’s combine winners and losers article.
Losers
DJ Steward

Duke's DJ Steward had a disappointing week at the NBA combine in Chicago. Jeff Haynes/NBAE via Getty Images
Steward came into this week considered a borderline draft pick. He thoroughly struggled in the scrimmages (4-17 FG, 4 assists, 7 turnovers), likely extinguishing any hopes of hearing his name called, especially considering he weighed in at only 162 pounds. NBA teams unanimously agreed that Steward, still only 19 years old, should withdraw from the draft and return to Duke for his sophomore season, even though he has publicly announced his college career is over. He has quite a bit of work to do on his body, playmaking ability and defense based on what he showed in this setting and as a freshman.

it looks like he signed with a non-certified agent which takes away the option of returning to school in any event. Just brilliant decision making by his camp.

Welp, that sucks for everyone involved. If only there had been some possible way to see it coming...

Duke should just take him back and dare the NCAA to do something about it other than vacate their first two exhibition wins.

Yeah I don't think a court today would look fondly on the NCAA disallowing a 19-year-old from following his most reasonable life path just because he hired someone to look out for his best interests. However, I also don't think Steward (or any player) is worth it to Duke to get wrapped up in that kind of lawsuit, with some risk that the season would be retroactively wiped out. Maybe some cellar dweller P5 program would find the positive publicity helpful in exchange for taking that competitive risk. Maybe someone like Northwestern.

DJ was not ready for the NBA and we all knew it. He was a streaky shooter at best. His defense sucked and he was 5th best player on an average team last season. He was a lazy passer which led to way too many turnovers. I hope he learns another language as his newest best option will be playing overseas.

So I've been on board the "New Orleans needs to take Moses Moody if he's available" bandwagon. And now I'm even more so. He measured 6'4" without shoes, which is smaller than his listed 6'6" height, but he has a 7'1" wingspan. If you want someone who can slot in defensively at the 2 or 3 and play a Mikal Bridges type role, he seems like your guy.

He also seems promising on offense. His shooting wasn't the most efficient (43/36), but he still had a 120 offensive rating thanks to his 81% FT shooting and the ability to get to the line. He also wasn't scared to get 3pt attempts up (5 per game). His body is turned too much to the side when he shoots, but his release mechanics look good. Good rebounder for his height and position as well.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom