Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Music

Los Lobos are incredible. Going to spend some more time listening to those gents.

Binged on a bunch of their live performances on the YouTube. Fantastic performances.

I was thinking I only hated Jaco Pastorius on certain songs on Hejira. Then I looked it up, and it turns out the songs I thought I enjoyed him on are not him.

See this kind of shit pisses me off. I wish bands and publishers would grow some balls and tell the pitchfork wielders to fuck off.

From the article:

"As reported, about two weeks ago, a string of private videos and images that Ellefson had sent to a younger woman has surfaced online, featuring the musician sexually touching himself, masturbating, and ejaculating.

The bassist denied the "grooming" accusations that have surfaced, and the female involved also said that she was not underage and that the interaction was consensual, calling herself "naive" for sharing the clips with her friend, who then leaked the footage."

So what the fuck is problem here? Why was he fired?

Yeah, I need to upgrade my whole turntable setup. I've got one of those cheap ones you can hook directly into speakers with no preamp or receiver. And my speakers suck too. In college I used to have a really nice setup of audiophile grade stuff my stepdad passed down to me. Huge difference.

I got the cheapest NAD turntable and phono preamp and it was about $800 for both. Bluesound speakers aren't cheap, but each one has a line in for a component and they are powered so you don't need a power Amp. They also link up to one another so you can sync your sound in every room.

Yeah, I think if I add a preamp and get some really good powered speakers I'll be fine.

In other nerdy audiophile news, the mic preamp I use for recording has a built in high quality headphone amp. I never realized how much of a difference a headphone amp can make. Popping on a really well produced album and listening with my Sennheisers through the headphone amp is like a religious experience for my bitter atheist heart.

There's so much good music, I'm losing my mind trying to limit my vinyl purchases.

@rome8180 do you have any interest in the debut album by Boston? The story behind it is pretty epic. The guitarist and song writer, Tom Scholz was an MIT nerd who built all of his own pedals and did all of his own engineering in his basement. He sent a demo to a record label and they were immediately like, WE WILL FLY YOUR BAND OUT TO LA AND MAKE THIS RECORD RIGHT NOW AND HERE'S A BILLION DOLLARS...

He didn't have a band. He played all of the instruments and hired a friend to sing. So he finds a bunch of guys to be his "band" and they fly out to LA. Well, the studio can't reproduce his sound, so they fly back to Massachusetts and record the album in his basement, while the record execs think they are in LA.

Anyway, long story short, it ends up being one of the best selling debut records of all time, and I think it's still in the top 25 albums of all time.

Hadn't heard that. Being able to record your own stuff in your basement, without any formal training, and have it sound good enough to impress a major label, is pretty mind-blowing to me, especially back in the days before digital.

McCartney 3, 2, 1 on Hulu was fantastic. I binged the whole thing tonight between sessions working on music. It was incredibly inspiring.

I'm already one of those people who thinks the Beatles are the greatest band ever and will never be equaled. But hearing McCartney and Rick Rubin talk about the songs and listen to the master tapes only deepened my appreciation. They put such care into every facet of the composition and recording. I will be watching this over and over, I think.

Farmer's post about Boston led me to this video. This is a good breakdown of the isolated tracks on the released version of "More Than a Feeling"

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom