Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

College Basketball 2023-2024

Watching Vernon Carey’s little brother although he isn’t little. He plays for James Madison and is 6’8” 245 lbs. He is a power forward in JMU’s game with Arkansas State. They lead by 10 points at halftime.

JMU is pounding the Red Wolves back to their woke-ass campus, where they’ll probably be happy to be playing no part in the corporate wankfest that is the NCAA Tournament

TUESDAY 14 WATCH UPDATE

Lord help me, there are 5 finals tonight. But 2 of them don't matter, thankfully.

ALREADY IN:
Morehead State et al
Samford (SoCon): Now at 81 on KP (68Off/114Def) and a 13 on bracketmatrix. Weren't dominant or anything in the conference tournament, but this is the profile of a lower seed that can go on crazy runs and get the building fired up due to the 3-point% and turnover creation. 12th in tempo also, and nobody on the team has played more than 66% of minutes.
James Madison (Sun Belt): Now at 60 on KP (57Off/76Def) and a 12 seed. That dominant final should keep them well out of harm's way.

IN FINALS TODAY:
Charleston (CAA): After a very close win, they get Stony Brook (KP 176) in the final. CofC hasn't lost since February 1.
Oakland (Horizon): Also had to survive a close one and will play Milwaukee a/k/a The Good Land (KP 229).
South Dakota St (Summit): Will play Denver (KP 268) in the final. The Jackrabbits are 2 years removed from the 30-win Baylor Scheierman team, and haven't come close to hitting that level again. Their best effort this year was a 3 point loss to UCF. Very good shooting team that is averse to offensive rebounding and drawing fouls.
See also: WCC and Northeast Conference

IN SEMIFINALS:
Vermont (America East): KP 103 (146Off/68Def) and a 13 on bracketmatrix. In past years, the Catamounts have been a good offensive team with a suspect defense, but it's the reverse this year. They're elite at ball security, defensive rebounding and not fouling, all things that might not translate outside of the America East. Lost to Virginia Tech by 22. Still haunted by the one that got away in Cameron.
Montana (Big Sky): KP 154 (83Off/268Def) and a 15 seed. This is the only team left in the Big Sky that could possibly sniff a 14. They're good at shooting a basketball, which you better be if you live in Montana and have all kinds of time to yourself.
McNeese State (Southland): KP 66 (73Off/64Def) and a 13 seed. Here we go, this team has been flying up kenpom all year, on a formula that looks pretty similar to former Southland rival Stephen F. Austin: force turnovers, make 3s and then go force some more turnovers. Coached by Will Wade so this is probably their last season of eligibility for a while.

Seems like Few’s window has shut in the era of portaling. No more Zags special sauce transfers they relied on so heavily before.

I will have them losing in the 1st round in my bracket regardless if they are a 7 or 8

That would be a very nice 8 to see in the West against UNC in the 2nd round. Can't ask for much more than 15 Kenpom as their 8.

14 WATCH--WEDNESDAY UPDATE

No major surprises last night, so we're mostly talking about the same cast of characters tonight.

ALREADY IN:
Morehead State (14-seed), Samford (13), James Madison (12)
Charleston (14): Needed overtime to see off Stony Brook. Apparently they have an annoying kid fan who will be mocked unless they draw Duke, in which case he will be adored.
Oakland (14): The best basketball team in Michigan this year beat Milwaukee in a game that was tight until the last minute. One of the most unremarkable stat profiles you're going to see so I guess I'll point out that they are 9-3 in close games.
South Dakota State (15): Beat Denver by 8 but it apparently was more comfortable than that. No Q1 or Q2 wins so I think they will stay a 15.

IN FINALS TONIGHT:
Colgate (15): The tartar control boys are playing Lehigh (who has no chance at the 14, don't waste your time). Oddly, this team is 310th in free throw shooting and 8th in free throw defense. Maybe they should check the rims.
McNeese State (13): Were very much as advertised against Lamar, with a 15-5 turnover edge and a 16-2 points off turnover edge. Won by 19 despite shooting 23% from 3. They play Nicholls State in the final.
Montana (15): They play Montana State in the Big Sky final. Definitely a team that could shoot its way into a game but the defensive numbers are really bad. Also no Q1 or Q2 wins.

IN SEMIFINALS TONIGHT:
Nobody. Thank you! Looks like we get a break until Friday.

In Nolan Smith, Payne signed the son of close friend and fellow U of L alum, Derek Smith, a program hero who played for the 1980 national championship team and died in 1996. Nolan Smith came from Duke, where he was an All-American point guard and starter for the 2010 NCAA Championship team before working on Hall of Fame coach Mike Krzyzewski’s staff, where he spent six years before joining Payne at Louisville.

But Smith was sensitive to criticism, had some contentious social media interactions with fans, and before the 2023-24 season interviewed with a G-League team, the Capital City GoGo. When athletics leadership concluded that Smith had been the source of a leak that resulted in national media reports saying Payne would be fired in December and Smith elevated to the head coaching job, Payne was advised to take the matter up with Smith.

Smith remained on the staff, and what measures Payne may have taken were not known. Similarly, after his first season, Payne declined to shake up his staff after finishing 4-28, even when advised to by Heird.

Seems like things went well!

UConn just dismantling Xavier. Glad it’s a strong year at the top. Plenty of teams capable of stopping UNC out there, if it comes to that.

UConn just dismantling Xavier. Glad it’s a strong year at the top. Plenty of teams capable of stopping UNC out there, if it comes to that.

Honestly who do we feel good about against UNC? Houston and UCONN? Maybe Tennessee and Auburn? I don't think there's as many teams capable of stopping them as you think.

Honestly who do we feel good about against UNC? Houston and UCONN? Maybe Tennessee and Auburn? I don't think there's as many teams capable of stopping them as you think.

Much like us, UNC has struggled with the SEC in the tournament in recent times.

1_ WATCH

We continue on. Let us choose the form of the destroyer in rapid fire format.

ALREADY IN: Morehead State, Samford, James Madison, Charleston, Oakland, South Dakota State, Colgate, McNeese State.

IN SEMIFINALS TODAY:
UC Irvine (Big West): KP 73 (120Off/34Def). 6 spots below NC State in Kenpom and wouldn’t be playing the third straight night.
Sam Houston State (CUSA): KP 140 (175Off/128Def). Sure
Western Kentucky (CUSA): KP 145 (195Off/118Def). Why not
Quinnipiac (MAAC): KP 167 (178Off/178Def). I like the symmetry. This is the lowest 15 seed on bracket matrix so I don’t know how they would get a game vs. Duke but let’s throw them in there.
Akron (MAC): KP 116 (142Off/111Def). The real question is can these teams handle the pressure of a game against Duke that they should win?
Ohio (MAC): KP 142 (106Off/198Def).
Grand Canyon (WAC): KP 54 (64Off/55Def). These guys would rightly be favored. Can they handle that?

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom