Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

College Basketball 2023-2024

With Kentucky smashing Tennessee in Knoxville right now, and Iowa State already having lost today, UNC’s path to the final 1 seed is becoming clearer. Arizona is a big favorite tonight, but not much more than what Tennessee was favored by over Kentucky.

OTOH, Duke is looking better to be a 2 while avoiding UConn’s region, if they have the character to win a revenge game at home as sizable favorites.

Kansas is getting completely annihilated at Houston, which should take Kansas out of the 2 seed conversation, but it’s Kansas.

Yeah Calipari blew it again. That game is over. The 1v2 storylines involving Duke are solid for the Committee this year, which I think will sway them toward putting Duke on the 2 line. Tennessee vs. Duke rematch from last year. Of course UConn vs. Duke is the marquee OOC matchup. No program better for Purdue to finally prove themselves against than Duke. Who the fuck would rather see Marquette or Creighton in those spots.

I think with the loss by Kansas and Iowa State today, if Duke wins tonight they jump to the #2 line ahead of Kansas, Iowa St and UNC.

I’m pulling for Clemson to beat Wake even if it has no impact on Duke seeding for the ACC. The hilarious narrative of Wake losing all the rest of their games and missing the tourney after the court rush will go down forever as the Curse of Filipowski.

Baylor getting shellacked as well. They will no longer be in the 2 seed conversation. Marquette also losing.

Arizona about to go down at KP #97 USC. They also lost to #160 Oregon State earlier in the year and were of course embarrassed by a 15 seed in the first round in 2023. Tommy Lloyd is generally regarded as one of the better young coaches in the game. Just another datapoint to show that we’re not doing better than Scheyer.

It's genuinely shocking how irrelevant CBB is. I sometimes have a hard time even finding scores. I Googled "Arizona men's basketball" expecting the live score to pop up. That didn't work, so I added "tonight." I finally found an ESPN link about halfway down the page. I clicked on that. It took me to a general page about Arizona Men's Basketball. On the side, it had their record and results. Next to USC, it didn't have a score tracker. It just said "Live." So I clicked on that. It finally took me to a live game score.

This was for one of the marquee programs in the country, supposedly.

Even Duke and UNC felt like it had no pop for either meeting this year. The first game had surprisingly good ratings, but something was definitely lacking.

WELCOME TO 14 WATCH

After whatever happened last night (I was at a soccer game), I think it is safe to start scouting 14 seeds. Assuming that Duke is not banned from postseason play, they will be on the 3 line. I'm only going to focus on teams that have made it to the semifinals or better for now, as this will get very fluid.

ALREADY IN:
Morehead State (OVC): KP 112 (128Off/119Def). Projected as a 15 on bracketmatrix. This looks to be a dangerous opponent based on solid offensive/defensive rebounding & elite offensive/defensive 2pt%, but those numbers always need to be viewed with some skepticism due to the small conference. They are pretty big for a small conference team, with a 7-footer and guards that run 6'3" to 6'5". They have four seniors in the starting lineup, which I interpret as meaning 24-25 year olds. Would prefer to avoid.

IN FINALS TODAY:
UNC-Asheville (Big South): KP 155 (143Off/184Def). Projected as a 15 on bracketmatrix where they replace High Point, which would have been a dangerous opponent. One thing I note here is they are 14th nationally in drawing free throws while still being primarily a 3-point shooting team (30th nationally). So I guess teams that commit stupid and pointless fouls should be worried about them. They play Longwood (KP 168), which I think would probably be a 15-16 seed.
The other two finals today should have no impact on the 14 line.

IN SEMIFINALS TODAY:
Colgate (Patriot): KP 145 (206Off/107Def). Projected as a 15. This is a good 3 point shooting/3 point defense team that probably won't offer much else against a high major team, though they played Syracuse close in November. The rest of the Patriot teams would be 16-seeds.
Samford (Southern): KP 79 (57Off/129Def). Projected as a 13. OK, now we start to get serious. Samford is #8 nationally in eFG% and #14 nationally in forcing turnovers, which makes them the perfect "go on a tear" Cinderella team. With that said, they lost to Purdue by 53 and haven't exactly shown that their game translates against high major talent. I note that the brackets consistently have them on the 13 line. They play Virginia-slayer Furman today, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep an eye on Furman (KP 139) or Chattanooga (KP 137) in this spot.
Appalachian State (Sun Belt): KP 75 (138Off/29Def). Projected as a 13. If the NCAA wants to punish Duke for whatever transgressions it committed last night, they could do worse than to choose a 27-5 in-state squad that has already beaten Auburn. If the offense/defense splits were exactly the opposite, this would be a straight up Duke killer. But fortunately, the #4 eFG% and #2 FTR are defensive numbers. This team should get enough respect to get a 13 or even a 12.
James Madison (Sun Belt): KP 65 (68Off/70Def). Projected OUT on Bracketmatrix. This team, which appears on paper to be better than Virginia, does not even show up on mock brackets except as an alternative to App State. They beat Michigan State in November, and have lost only 3 times, 2 of them to App State. Would assume they get a 12-13.
Troy (Sun Belt): KP 129 (159Off/120Def). Revenge game?

Busy, busy day for the 14 watch, with lots of close calls and lots of tears. Here is the Monday update:

ALREADY IN:
Morehead State (OVC): Now up to a 14-seed in bracketmatrix, and I think another upset or 2 will keep them there.
Longwood (Big South): Good day for fans of dick jokes, as the Lancers are back in the dance. Will likely slide into a 16-seed.
Honorable mention to Drake (too good) and Stetson (not good enough)

IN FINALS TONIGHT:
Samford (SoCon): Struggled a bit with Furman, will play ETSU (KP 173) which is coming off an overtime win. Bracketmatrix has them holding steady as a 13.
James Madison (Sun Belt): Slots into the 12-seed that was reserved for App State. It looks like they play a high-tempo game with elite 3-pt defense (FWIW) and lots of forced turnovers. The committee isn't sticking Duke with a KP top 70 team, right? EDIT: It looks like Arkansas State (KP 129 but with 15 losses) could move into the 14 if they won.

IN SEMIFINALS TONIGHT:
Charleston (CAA): KP 100 (50Off/178Def). Bracketmatrix has them as the highest 14-seed. It's weird that Duke and Charleston have never played before, especially with the Cremins angle. If they meet here, Duke will be seeing a very good and balanced offense that has one potentially fatal weakness--they don't draw fouls (#337 nationally). And yes, lots of seniors and juniors.
Oakland (Horizon): KP 137 (132Off/168Def). 14-seed on Bracketmatrix. This team usually plays a bunch of high major teams early on to give us a feel for what they can do, and this year is no exception. Lost by 6 to Ohio State, by 11 to Illinois and by 17 to Michigan State, but beat Xavier by 2. Nothing stands out statistically, they're a normal team that would probably win a handful of games in the ACC.
South Dakota State (Summit): KP 141 (112Off/190Def). 15-seed on Bracketmatrix. You're not watching this, nor am I.
Gonzaga (WCC): KP 15 (9Off/39Def). Just kidding.

Last edited:

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom