Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2017 NCAA Tournament

Outside of the 2001 games, my favorite was 1999 against Tulsa in Charlotte. We won by 40+ and the play of that team was so amazing that I was laughing the entire game, sure we were going to win it all.

deepdarkblue said:
physicsfactor said:
You idiots need to stop attending Duke's NCAAT games.

I guess we need to determine if anyone here has ever attended a Duke tourney game that we DID win. Then maybe do a GoFundMe to send that person to this year's. Call it karmic insurance.
2015 Final Four / Title negated my Mercer NCAA experience. I shouldn't attend early rounds.

physicsfactor said:
You idiots need to stop attending Duke's NCAAT games.

I was at Charlotte in 1994. Only now do I realize the consequences of my error.

ZT4Bmng.png

I couldn't see any other future.

I've never attended a Duke tourney loss after I graduated. I just drained all the karma so the team lost epically in the round or two after I saw them. Basically, I should only attend championship games.

Was in Indy for the Vegas win as a senior. Decided right then that there was no real point in spoiling that experience with any further tourney attendance.

Skipped Charlotte, St. Pete's, Indy the 2nd and San Antonio despite opportunities. Overall a decent decision for my mental health. 99 would have maimed me, with 04 finishing me off.

I'm 0-0. On a related note, I'm also poor.

NIT is more in my price range, but these assholes keep stringing together good seasons.

I've only been to two tourney games. Michigan State and Wisconsin 2015. A high-level Iron Duke friend sold me his tickets at face value because they were not "good enough" for him to make the trip. Ended up sitting about 45 rows up on the baseline - no complaints from me.

Should we make it to the Final Four this year, I will be there again. Have friends that have already booked hotels, and have a pretty sizable Delta voucher that I have been saving for this occasion, so don't fuck it up K.

KSU/Wake Forest should be a decent game to watch tomorrow night. I don't have any postseason Duke spectator experiences to share with y'all.

dukeberto said:
I've only been to two tourney games. Michigan State and Wisconsin 2015. A high-level Iron Duke friend sold me his tickets at face value because they were not "good enough" for him to make the trip. Ended up sitting about 45 rows up on the baseline - no complaints from me.

Should we make it to the Final Four this year, I will be there again. Have friends that have already booked hotels, and have a pretty sizable Delta voucher that I have been saving for this occasion, so don't fuck it up K.

Don't do it if the opportunity arises. I'm telling you, you saw the mountaintop, and it was glorious. Going in without expectations - 1991 and 2015 due to the 'unbeatable teams' - and winning can't be topped. If we make it this year, we will likely be the favorite. Disappointment live is far more gruesome than disappointment on TV. We win? Merely the difference b/w sex and jerking off.

The main guard is aggressive to the basket and has a little bit of Angel Rodriguez streakiness to him, but more efficient. The main forward is a poor man's Bonzie. Both are legacy guys, children or siblings of better players. I think if you could isolate those two guys from the other three, they will fall apart pretty quickly. But these are exactly the player types we don't seem to handle. Oh, also the center is a 42% 3-point shooter and they have another guy who's 43% in the starting 5. The defense is bad, but it doesn't seem to be for lack of athleticism (maybe lack of height). They seem content to let teams shoot over them, so a hot shooting start from Duke (lol) should put the game to rest.

DrKlahn said:
The main guard is aggressive to the basket and has a little bit of Angel Rodriguez streakiness to him, but more efficient. The main forward is a poor man's Bonzie. Both are legacy guys, children or siblings of better players. I think if you could isolate those two guys from the other three, they will fall apart pretty quickly. But these are exactly the player types we don't seem to handle. Oh, also the center is a 42% 3-point shooter and they have another guy who's 43% in the starting 5. The defense is bad, but it doesn't seem to be for lack of athleticism (maybe lack of height). They seem content to let teams shoot over them, so a hot shooting start from Duke (lol) should put the game to rest.

This is an extremely important point, in my opinion, and could be a pretty clear indicator this weekend of whether Duke has actually turned a corner. If we really are rounding into something resembling the team we expected to be, then it shouldn't be too much to ask for Duke to stomp on an obviously weaker team from the start.

Yeah, this is not a good matchup. They take a lot of threes, which I'm fine with when we're playing a Top 50 team because of what we're decent at defensively, but it's not good when you have a huge talent gap- can get varianced to a loss.

I don't understand how they take so many threes yet have a great FT rate too.

Only positive I see is that they don't play too fast, right around the national average at 179th. In fact, if we get to the Sweet 16, almost all of the likely opponents are absolute snails. It's weird how that worked out.

In the S16- 3rd seeded Baylor is 337th in the country in pace and SMU is 330th.

In the E8- Top seeded Nova is 323, UVA (the next most likely opponent in my view) is 351. Florida, the next most likely opponent is actually pretty fast at 119. Then there's Wisconsin at 333.

I mean, I know Duke's ACC schedule was a hell house this year, but by Friday it will have been nearly 10 weeks since we had a 20-point lead in a game.

The good news is that I think Matt Jones will be able to handle Varnado, he's not a big fat bully like Bonzie. That leaves someone more appropriate to deal with Person, who will be looking to drive and shoot YOLO threes all night. To give you a sense of Person's game, here are his last 6 games from 3 point range:

1-7
2-6
5-6
7-8
3-7
0-5

Hence the Angel Rodriguez comparison, and there seem to be the same shot selection principles at work here.

Yep. We were also shit in the last two games of December against Elon and Tennessee State. And in the second half of BC. Basically the last truly comfortable game was Georgia Tech and before that, UNLV.

Duke's had just 7 20 point plus wins this year. Seems very low.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom